1 2 3
A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/31/20 6:40 p.m.

I would do what FCA already does in some Rams.  Connect it via big ole industrial strength belt to the crank pulley of my truck.  Then put some batteries behind the seat or somewhere and cook up a control system to have it on only when accelerating.  Have you driven a 5.7 Hemi light hybrid Ram?  Mmmmmm boy.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/20 8:37 p.m.
dean1484 said:

How much torque does that thing make?  

Depends on which of the gear sets you choose. Lots or OMG. At least 861 Nm. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/20 9:00 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

Go kart.

Seriously: chain drive to the rear differential in a miata. With a toggle switch labeled turbo to engage it.

It has a gearbox. Basically, it's a differential with power. Putting one in a Miata would be so simple. You'd still have to deal with cooling and batteries, but physically installing the motor? Cake.

Me, though - I've looked into this a bit. I'd mount one in a stick axle in place of the differential at each end of my old Land Rover. No need to deal with driveshafts or transfer boxes. No real limits to articulation. With the low gear set, it would have a top speed of about 90 mph and put down about 1100 lbs of torque at each end. 

It would cost about $30k in parts, but it would be spectacular. 

1100ft-lb at the axle is not all that much. I am completely unfamiliar with typical Land Rover gear ratios, but if the differentials were 4:1, and the transmission were 3:1 in first, then that would accelerate like it had an engine with 183ft-lb of torque.

Granted, it would never need to upshift from that...

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/31/20 10:09 p.m.

Yeah, generally really fast cars have like 3000 lb ft to the wheels in 1st.  This is still pretty awesome. Especially because motor ratings are just like engine ratings... a starting point.

drock25too
drock25too New Reader
5/31/20 10:30 p.m.
barefootskater said:

I'd put it in here:

Maybe try and figure a way to put one in the front too. Then I'd party so hard. 

When I first saw that I just knew it would have 53 on the side

Keith Tanner
5/31/20 10:37 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Keith Tanner said:

Go kart.

Seriously: chain drive to the rear differential in a miata. With a toggle switch labeled turbo to engage it.

It has a gearbox. Basically, it's a differential with power. Putting one in a Miata would be so simple. You'd still have to deal with cooling and batteries, but physically installing the motor? Cake.

Me, though - I've looked into this a bit. I'd mount one in a stick axle in place of the differential at each end of my old Land Rover. No need to deal with driveshafts or transfer boxes. No real limits to articulation. With the low gear set, it would have a top speed of about 90 mph and put down about 1100 lbs of torque at each end. 

1100ft-lb at the axle is not all that much. I am completely unfamiliar with typical Land Rover gear ratios, but if the differentials were 4:1, and the transmission were 3:1 in first, then that would accelerate like it had an engine with 183ft-lb of torque.

That was 1100 at each end. And given that the truck has 88 lbs of torque at the wheels now, it would be a noticeable upgrade :)

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/31/20 10:46 p.m.

Build a self propelled trailer, allows for a less powerful tow rig. Cover the trailer in solar panels and see if it could travel on solar power.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
5/31/20 11:24 p.m.

Lifted 6 seater golf cart (think church shuttle) with the last 2 seats replaced by a dump bed and cover the long roof in solar panels. Convert to lipo and use the weight and space savings for creature comforts like a door kit and heater and a lock box for guns and gear.  The perfect bug out mad max apocalypse vehicle

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/1/20 12:06 a.m.

Hmmm, a 107hp electric motor? I know!

Turning Lawnmowers Into Yard karts

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
6/1/20 4:34 a.m.

Definitely go down the DIY E motorcycle route. 

But also thinking something along the lines of building spec formula type karts for autocross...

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/20 7:09 a.m.

Dude... that's 80kW.  That's going to take some serious battery and serious cable.

But soooooo worth it.

Not that you would use a lead-acid battery, but just for reference, you could do it with 50 car batteries and it would last about an hour and might not melt 2/0 cable

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/20 8:08 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Keith Tanner said:

Go kart.

That was 1100 at each end. And given that the truck has 88 lbs of torque at the wheels now, it would be a noticeable upgrade :)

I was calculating for 2200 smiley  If it truly has 88 ft-lb at the wheels, then with those gear ratios the engine is making a skosh over 8 ft-lb at the crank.  (But I know what you mean)

Keith Tanner
6/1/20 4:37 p.m.

Now I'm going to have to look up the gear ratios, because I'm curious as to what it actually is delivering at the axle in first gear low range.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/20 5:24 p.m.

I'll keep this motor in mind for my scratch-built EV plans, this could make a good individual wheel-motor for one of the front wheels. 97% efficiency is nothing special by EV motor standards though. Also it looks like a centrifugal flux motor? Axial flux is an inherently better design, it's like flathead vs. OHV.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/1/20 5:36 p.m.

I don't know enough about this stuff to know if it is possible, but in my mind I'd want a full size pickup with a small gasoline engine, and 1 of these at each corner. Or maybe only at the front axles. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/20 6:58 p.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:

I don't know enough about this stuff to know if it is possible, but in my mind I'd want a full size pickup with a small gasoline engine, and 1 of these at each corner. Or maybe only at the front axles. 

Could work and driveline efficiency actually wouldn't be bad, remember diffs and transmissions sap a lot of power and motors and generators are highly efficient. The likely downsides would be weight and complexity, your series-hybrid pickup would have a lot more of it than if it were a pure EV, and all you'd get in return is a bit more range and refuel speed.

triumph7
triumph7 Reader
6/1/20 8:32 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

We ran 135kW motors in the Ram ProMasters at 360V and +/- 250A.  That worked out to 108 LiFPo cells @ 180 Amp Hour.  Double 0 cable had no problem.  Believe it or not, it moved along pretty good for a shuttle bus.

Still, 80kW would not set the world on fire.

former520
former520 HalfDork
6/1/20 11:59 p.m.
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) said:

Hmmm, a 107hp electric motor? I know!

Turning Lawnmowers Into Yard karts

Spec motor and battery pack.  Make it a racing league ala Speedvision mid 90's (for you other midlife and plusers)

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 HalfDork
6/2/20 12:14 a.m.

Put in the frunk of an MR2 to make the opposite of the AWD Capri but with a high chance of being able to lightly modify corolla stuff to make it all work.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
6/2/20 10:36 a.m.

Miata with no gearbox and use the electric motor to power it off the line and have a budget Koeneigsegg Regera.  Stripped down for autocross to keep weight down.  The added motor and 10 minute battery (located in roughly the passenger seat area and probably using a chain to drive the driveshaft).  Geared for autocross it would top out at 80 mph but get there as fast as anything on wheels.

Keith Tanner
6/2/20 11:15 a.m.

Why are you guys looking at chain drive? It has a transmission. All you need is to yank the stock diff and come up with halfshafts. Trying to run the stock diff is going to suck up power, add weight and needless complexity.

No Time
No Time Dork
6/2/20 12:15 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:

Could work and driveline efficiency actually wouldn't be bad, remember diffs and transmissions sap a lot of power and motors and generators are highly efficient. The likely downsides would be weight and complexity, your series-hybrid pickup would have a lot more of it than if it were a pure EV, and all you'd get in return is a bit more range and refuel speed.

Although it could reduce mechanical complexity by eliminating the need for a transfer case, driveshaft, and different transmission tailshafts for 2wd and 4wd. 

Possible 2wd to 4wd conversion?

Potentially regen braking from the front wheels and added power or traction on demand? 

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/2/20 1:09 p.m.

My TR4 project car has a pristine chassis (with stick axle) and no drivetrain. This would be awesome. Then I saw this:

Total Costs £6,400 plus local taxes

That's about $8K plus tax. Ouch.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
6/2/20 1:15 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Because I want to keep the ICE motor up front.  The electric motor would be supplementary, providing the grunt off the line.  

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/3/20 12:09 a.m.

If you had a wind turbine that created electricity to be stored in a battery, and the battery supplied energy to a collection of these motors that were outfitted with driveshafts to props as an inboard motor, would said vessel and drivetrain be legal to enter in the Americas Cup races?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xY2UfwKWxtLbgKfUCzYg4QDIgpAUyoMLSOtPltA56j833tr45RF4eEtc8hDpuk5X