poopshovel again MegaDork
4/20/18 6:52 a.m.

13.5 is okay. 11.9 is better!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/20/18 6:58 a.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to Ian F :

From what it sounds like, the Mountune stype tunes are not vehicle specific tune, but a generic reflash that does things like up boost targets and desired torque.

From what NickD was saying, it SOUNDS like whatever "tune" the shop did was something that mucked with more timing or less fuel, which made the engine run a little stronger at first, and then it ran hotter, so it started going into parts of the tune that preserve the engine at the expense of power.  OE level computers are CRAZY comprehensive as far as mapping is concerned.  It's not like the old days where they had to leave the factory fairly conservative in order to account for the doofus who tows up a mountain in August with low coolant.  They account for that sort of stuff now in some of the hundreds/thousands of maps in the PCM, so there isn't very much left on the table as far as optimal-conditions power is concerned.

This, incidentally, is why turbo BMWs seem to "punch above their weight".  Their rated power is kind of a worst case scenario.  I have heard of certain engines making 100hp over rating on a dyno with the factory tune.  So, VERY dependent on air temps, coolant temps, etc.

You guys do realize on modern ECUs, a new "tune" takes 75-100 miles to adjust to hit the new targets, right? Right? 

BMW just underrates their engines. It's that simple. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/20/18 7:10 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I'm not sure.  The tuner the MINI guy (Helix) uses (RMW) customizes each tune for the car while on a dyno taking into account the mods done to the car and how the driver wants the car to behave.  He used to show up at the shop and do them in person, but for the past few years he usually does it remotely.   

poopshovel again
4/23/18 1:52 p.m.

Planted the seed. Now I just need to be patient, let it grow, and then *berkeley* the plant.

I looked at a 17 with 1k miles, and talked numbers with the guys down the street. 

Both dealerships “discounted” sticker to a number ABOVE the “internet price.” Can’t blame them for trying, I suppose, but it doesn’t exactly give a potential buyer a warm & fuzzy feeling. What’s worse is I just laughed it off and said “nice try,” but both sales guys got all salty about my calling them out.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/18 7:29 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Knurled. said:

In reply to Ian F :

From what it sounds like, the Mountune stype tunes are not vehicle specific tune, but a generic reflash that does things like up boost targets and desired torque.

From what NickD was saying, it SOUNDS like whatever "tune" the shop did was something that mucked with more timing or less fuel, which made the engine run a little stronger at first, and then it ran hotter, so it started going into parts of the tune that preserve the engine at the expense of power.  OE level computers are CRAZY comprehensive as far as mapping is concerned.  It's not like the old days where they had to leave the factory fairly conservative in order to account for the doofus who tows up a mountain in August with low coolant.  They account for that sort of stuff now in some of the hundreds/thousands of maps in the PCM, so there isn't very much left on the table as far as optimal-conditions power is concerned.

This, incidentally, is why turbo BMWs seem to "punch above their weight".  Their rated power is kind of a worst case scenario.  I have heard of certain engines making 100hp over rating on a dyno with the factory tune.  So, VERY dependent on air temps, coolant temps, etc.

You guys do realize on modern ECUs, a new "tune" takes 75-100 miles to adjust to hit the new targets, right? Right? 

BMW just underrates their engines. It's that simple. 

What do you mean by "adjusting"?  That is what the tune does.  Feedback control is generally in the engine-saving direction.

I'm not sure how modern you are expecting.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/24/18 7:51 a.m.

When you flash a new tune, you then datalog the new tune as you drive it. 

Watch LTFT, IAM, AFR, etc. And you'll see if takes some miles and throttle inputs for the ECU to get on track to the new "targets" set in the new tune. 

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/24/18 9:05 a.m.
poopshovel again said:

Planted the seed. Now I just need to be patient, let it grow, and then *berkeley* the plant.

I looked at a 17 with 1k miles, and talked numbers with the guys down the street. 

Both dealerships “discounted” sticker to a number ABOVE the “internet price.” Can’t blame them for trying, I suppose, but it doesn’t exactly give a potential buyer a warm & fuzzy feeling. What’s worse is I just laughed it off and said “nice try,” but both sales guys got all salty about my calling them out.

Excellent!   Soon they will drink the salt from their tears!  

poopshovel again
7/10/18 8:24 a.m.

Still on the lot. Down to $37,500. Movin in the right direction!

https://shottenkirkfordjasper.com/sale/ford-focus-rs-jasper-ga/2017-ford-focus-rs-wf0dp3th8h4124972

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/10/18 9:00 a.m.

I you are serious about buying it, maybe get a Ford X-plan, Friends and Family discount referal number and see what that price gets you to.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/10/18 9:07 a.m.
John Welsh said:

I you are serious about buying it, maybe get a Ford X-plan, Friends and Family discount referal number and see what that price gets you to.  

When I ordered my '13 Mustang GT Track Pack back in Aug/Sept of '12, the dealer gave me a better price on negotiating with them than the plan numbers. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/10/18 10:23 a.m.

X plan pricing sucks honestly for stale inventory. IT's really not a big discount. I'd just go and bargain with them on that. 

poopshovel again
7/10/18 10:30 a.m.

I wish I could remember the “rock-bottom, can’t possibly sell it for less than” price they gave me a few months ago. I *think* it was $39.5k. 2019 Fords should start rolling in next month, right?

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/10/18 11:17 a.m.

My local Ford dealer has a new 2017 RS. It's black with RS2 package, sunroof and 19" wheels with Michelin Cup tires. link

I know they had it marked down with a window sticker to something starting with a 3 and I'm pretty sure it was less than $39.5k.

foshjowler
foshjowler
7/10/18 11:35 a.m.

At the end of April I bought a new ST2 for $22k, and for that price, I think it is a great buy, but at $30k+ I have a hard time with the Focus platform. The RS does have a great drivetrain, but at the end of the day it's an economy car, and it really starts to show in the interior. For that kind of money, you can get into a Mustang with the 5.0 or a lightly used one with options. 

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
7/10/18 12:33 p.m.
foshjowler said:

At the end of April I bought a new ST2 for $22k,

Brand new? From a Ford dealer?

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
7/10/18 12:53 p.m.

Yeah. Everyone I know that was cross shopping the RS, Golf R, and STI all ended up with an STI or Golf because they found that the Subaru and VW just both felt like a high $30k/low $40k car whereas the RS did not. This is all way out of my price range so I really don't have any useful, first hand experience to add.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/10/18 2:51 p.m.
foshjowler said:

At the end of April I bought a new ST2 for $22k, and for that price, I think it is a great buy, but at $30k+ I have a hard time with the Focus platform. The RS does have a great drivetrain, but at the end of the day it's an economy car, and it really starts to show in the interior. For that kind of money, you can get into a Mustang with the 5.0 or a lightly used one with options. 

$40k is spitting distance from a GT PP2 car.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/10/18 5:25 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

this is absolutely possible

I was in a compromised position with my Miata dying in december, (GRM Thread Here) and bought a 2017 ST1 for $20K+TT&L brand new from my 2 old car business friends at Mac Haik Pasadena, TX, and put a Ford extended warranty on it for 125k miles for 2K which was right above cost.

3 of my friends(also here in Texas) who were in less compromised positions, drove all over and pushed hard in emails when there were more 2017's in the market, Summer and Fall '17 and they all paid less than $19k for their ST1's.

Ford only recently(this month, possibly last month,best I can tell) started pulling outright purchase incentives on these. they have had $3-4k cash rebates on these for the past year on 17's and 18's. Now they're only offering lease incentives. 

Combine the rebates with a Texas dealership who only sees a focus ST as a stupid car taking up space where an F150 or mustang could be on the lot and it's a recipie for $5.5k+ in discounts... 

My car was Discounted $5800 before the dealership started to "lose money" on the unit. 

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
7/10/18 5:35 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

Yeah, since this thread is about the Focus RS, I guess my brain just made RS2 and ST2 the same thing. I was thinking he was claiming a new Focus RS for $22k which set off my bs meter. But I can totally see getting a FoST for that price.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/11/18 12:08 a.m.

Used in the crazy blue color for ~32k 

Linky

poopshovel again
7/11/18 5:25 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

Well, if I go used there’s this one. Local, but I’m guessing no warranty.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?atCarId=1cea0d80

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/18 9:25 a.m.

i sincerely hope you get to berkeley the plant.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
7/11/18 11:22 a.m.

We test drove these, I would do $32k on it. But wouldnt put the extra into it.  We test drove a Base model GT right after and it just felt better.  Asking for new is $35,500 for the 2 black they have on the lot.

https://www.tomballford.com/new-vehicles/#action=im_ajax_call&perform=get_results&our_price%5B%5D=30000-40000&page=1&model%5B%5D=Focus

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/11/18 12:03 p.m.

Man that's tempting. 

But I really think the 135i is eventually going to go for the ND update.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
7/11/18 12:30 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

Still on the lot. Down to $37,500. Movin in the right direction!

https://shottenkirkfordjasper.com/sale/ford-focus-rs-jasper-ga/2017-ford-focus-rs-wf0dp3th8h4124972

The dealer here in Melbourne (where I bought mine) has had a similarly loaded blue one on their lot for something like a year.  I've been trying to convince a co-worker to offer $32K for it.  They've got it at a similar price to the one you're looking at.

Loaded RS

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BCkYVmZHiSdSH883vyaBGiI07DpgDQV9g95BIeA9Juapjfja8eQIrURmjOh7TpQV