1 2

I can't really afford to go nuts with the Camaro, but I will be able to do a little over a long time. The car is a factory 5.0L Auto TTop piece with @ 90k on the clock. I gave up on Camaros 10 years ago when I let my ex keep this exact car, it doesn't have any actual sentimental value but I really REALLY had a lot of fun with this car just cruising with it.

I actually swapped in a 5.7L truck block some time back but after a little lean running, the abuse of sitting next to the garage for ten years and general crap luck the engine is knocking pretty bad.

I WANT to put a mild roller cam in a Vortec 5.7L with the TBI conversion manifold, a prepped TH700R4, 3:73: S10 gearset with locker and a good exhaust. Simple, relatively bolt in, more power than stock and reliable.

I would LOVE to find a wrecked 4th gen for $1500 and swap in a LS engine.

I would be happy with replacing the bum 5.7L with another boneyard brawler as well.

Where would YOU take the ride?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/7/10 8:34 p.m.

Vortec.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Reader
12/7/10 8:40 p.m.

LS with a T76 and T56 backed by a Moser 9" and TA.

If not that, BBC and 4l80.

OR just go "backwards" to a 3.8 with a T76.

Brian

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
12/7/10 8:42 p.m.

BBC!

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/7/10 9:00 p.m.

Vortec, stock 9.5:1, 212/218 cam with 112 LSA. 300 hp and 20 mpg all day.

If you need to smog it, stock vortec intake with the computer to run it. If you don't, carb intake and a Qjet. If you want to go EFI, quite honestly my personal opinion is to skip the TBI. Low pressure nozzles that inject liquid fuel instead of injectors, 390 cfm throttle body, and you're stuck with an aftermarket box or the factory PROM chip box. Factory TBIs run out of breath at 250 hp. BBC TBI units flow more and would suit, but hotrodders know that and prices are proportional.

Iron head LT1s are cheap these days, and (for those who don't know) the 94 iron LT1 intake port flowed so well they copied it verbatim for the Vortec. For all intents and purposes, an iron-head LT1 is the same critter as a Vortec; same chambers, same ports, same rotating assembly. The LT1 does have two things that put it ahead of a factory EFI Vortec for swaps... 1) far superior intake design with actual fuel injectors instead of a spider, and 2) easy-to-hack flash computer.

But if you are going to carb it, there is absolutely no benefit of the LT1 over the Vortec. In fact carb vortec intakes are all over ebay for $120, but LT1 carb intakes are kinda rare and expensive. If you're going EFI, the LT1 offers some advantages.

LS1 is great, but if you want A/C you're either going to spend $$ on an aftermarket serpentine, spend $$ on a tubular K-member, or cut a hefty notch in the crossmember. They really are great, but (just like the BBC TBI) hotrodders know it, and despite the dime-a-dozen LS swaps, prices are high.

This is very rare, but I scored a complete vortec 350 assembly, pan to carb, exhaust manifolds, and all accessories except alternator for $50. To add to the kitty, it was a Volvo Penta that had exactly 15 hours on it before it sprung a head gasket leak... not a blown head gasket with water in the cylinders, mind you... just an external leak. The marina warrantied it out, then set it outside to go to the scrap yard. Did I mention it was $50? It was $50.

What year is it? What trans is in it? Do you smog?

Let me know and I'll take you down a long and winding hotrodders path of sordid engine swap ideas that will surprise you. Why did that sound like an ad for a haunted house?

You're in my territory now. How about posting block casting numbers (above the bellhousing beside the distributor), head casting numbers, and some other info about the 5.7 that's in it. We'll start there. If you have some decent pieces, you could save some money building what you have and putting vortec heads on it.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/7/10 9:06 p.m.

Or really pisss off the the RX crowd and put a triple rotary in it for kicks

Ranger50
Ranger50 Reader
12/7/10 9:28 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: Or really pisss off the the RX crowd and put a triple rotary in it for kicks

There was a kid who did just that. Now I can't find it.

Brian

It is a 1991 TBI RS.

If I Vortec it I have access to a NIB Holley 670cfm replacement TB for the car. I would use the GMPP TBI Vortec manifold or similar.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
12/7/10 9:51 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote:
curtis73 wrote: Or really pisss off the the RX crowd and put a triple rotary in it for kicks
There was a kid who did just that. Now I can't find it. Brian

Will a turbo rotary nova suffice? http://www.build-threads.com/build-threads/13bt-rotary-chevy-nova/

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce Reader
12/7/10 9:55 p.m.

See if you can score an old wrecked pickup with a 454, and just squeeze that in there. You won't have to worry about hopping up that motor too much, otherwise it will break your f-body in half. Maybe just a couple of turbos.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Reader
12/7/10 10:14 p.m.
Nitroracer wrote: Will a turbo rotary nova suffice? http://www.build-threads.com/build-threads/13bt-rotary-chevy-nova/

Oh my.....

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
12/7/10 10:24 p.m.

grow a mullet?

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
12/7/10 10:54 p.m.
RoosterSauce wrote: See if you can score an old wrecked pickup with a 454, and just squeeze that in there. You won't have to worry about hopping up that motor too much, otherwise it will break your f-body in half. Maybe just a couple of turbos.

What, like that poor performing SS454 truck setup from circa 1990?

A 350 with Vortec heads and any compression is just a camshaft and headers away from being a great package...

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/8/10 7:13 a.m.

a rebuild kit for the current 350 should be cheap, even cheaper if you can get away with just rings and bearings. (unless you can find a $50 wonder like curtis73) add Vortec heads from the JY or a part out from CL. Get an intake for dual carbs, then bolt up 2 TBI units for a 4.3 V6....Should all be cheap JY stuff. Will it work? I don't know but it sounds funky enough to work. Or just get a TPI unit.

novaderrik
novaderrik HalfDork
12/8/10 7:14 a.m.

get a vortec long block. shop around for the best price you can find for the GM HOT cam kit- the GM part number is 12480002. pull the heads off and take them in to get the LT4 springs that come with the cam kit installed and put screw in rocker arm studs in. bolt the heads back on, slide the HOT cam in it, top it off with the TBI intake you are looking at, and enjoy your nearly 400hp toy that idles at 700 rpm with 17" of vacuum and knocks down over 20mpg if you drive nice..

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
12/8/10 7:35 a.m.

NASA CMC1 class, and I will meet you at the track

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/8/10 7:53 a.m.

stock rebuild on 1995 truck block, drilled to accept factory roller spider and cam retainer.

gm perfomance parts very mild .431/.451 hydraulic roller - surplus $15 from ebay

gmpp vortec heads with z28 springs. performer rpm vortec intake, holley 600 vacuum secondary carb, hei

cheap block hugger headers, full 2.25 dual exhaust with summit turbo mufflers

2.73 open rear

good enough for high 13's in a car probably similar in weight to a 3rd gen, on 17" htr-z's, with the aerodynamic qualities of a brick with a little vaseline on the corners.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar HalfDork
12/8/10 8:40 a.m.
Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho wrote: I can't really afford to go nuts with the Camaro.... ...The car is a factory 5.0L Auto TTop piece with @ 90k on the clock... ....the abuse of sitting next to the garage for ten years and general crap luck...

With T-tops and sitting next to the garage for 10 years, before tearing into the motor, how are the floors?

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/8/10 10:15 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: NASA CMC1 class, and I will meet you at the track

+eleventy billion and 1

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
12/8/10 11:37 a.m.

Everything Curtis said applied. Mine went 12's with stock 70s heads that I ported. It was a 400, though, which I would highly recommend anytime anyone wants a small block package that isn't cube limited.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/8/10 12:19 p.m.

Turbo.

BowtieBandit
BowtieBandit New Reader
12/8/10 2:29 p.m.

I've heard of using a coil pack setup off of a Northstar and coverting the LT1 to a DIS system. That elimiates the opti-spark troubles that those motors are notorious for. I read about that in Car Craft, I'll see if I can dig up that issue (it was in the What's Your Problem section.)

Mine is a 92 305 Auto T-Top also, so this is homework for me as well.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
12/8/10 3:16 p.m.

Holley Streetram setup on L98 heads. Boom.

Rob_Mopar wrote:
Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho wrote: I can't really afford to go nuts with the Camaro.... ...The car is a factory 5.0L Auto TTop piece with @ 90k on the clock... ....the abuse of sitting next to the garage for ten years and general crap luck...
With T-tops and sitting next to the garage for 10 years, before tearing into the motor, how are the floors?

Sitting next to the garage on a slab under a lean-to. Car has some crust on the rotors, drums and exhaust but the floors are pretty clean. I am leaving it where it sits until January when I have more room at work to store it and work on it.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar HalfDork
12/8/10 8:57 p.m.
Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho wrote: Sitting next to the garage on a slab under a lean-to. Car has some crust on the rotors, drums and exhaust but the floors are pretty clean. I am leaving it where it sits until January when I have more room at work to store it and work on it.

Thats a whole lot better than the experiences I've had with T-top cars. The Daytona carcass in my driveway now has daylight where the cowl/firewall/front wheel wells used to be. Smelled pretty too.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KGOikg1cowD4fUI71ljCgQhfiZFI9Ex0o3BVAr1Qo5w7uncP4GSO4x6H03UtTaUf