kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/4/10 10:42 a.m.

According to the last log entry the car was placing high in Street Mod consistently and was headed to the Ft Myers ProSolo.

What happened at the pro Solo? I know that the car was subsequently sold. Has it been raced since?

I'm intrigued by the idea of building a vintage racer that's semi-competitive (With me driving, NO car will be really competitive) with modern iron. I keep looking at the 544 series Volvos. Decent ones can be had around here for $2 to $5K. Roughly the same specs as the 122 but 250 lbs. lighter.......

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/4/10 10:49 a.m.

The 544 series all have drum brakes as far as I know (my 64 did) and the 122s have discs on the fronts. I have no other input other than both are awesome and I would love to have one.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/4/10 10:55 a.m.

In reply to EvanB:

122 brakes are easily retrofitted to a 544, and some 1800 models had rear discs (with beafier axle assys)

The 544s weighed in about 2140 lbs. making them the lightest Volvo that I know of. I used to have a '65 and it handled the twisties with aplomb - box stock.

tuna55
tuna55 Reader
1/4/10 11:07 a.m.

I know a little something about 122s.

http://tunachuckers.com/

B20 = awesome

Front suspension = needs camber (lots of it)

Lower it all around, we cut the springs, stock ride height is way too high. Competely modular front suspension. Rear is solid axle Dana 27 with a a few gear ratios around. P1800 rear dsics can be retrofitted. The front brakes are three piston cast iron units, and they work great but get really hot, especially with stock solid rotors - we switched to 240SX rotors and Mustang GT calipers (with small adapter plate). The transmission is great - bulletproof four speed that weighs like 60 lbs.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/4/10 11:09 a.m.

Shaun
Shaun Reader
1/4/10 11:15 a.m.

In reply to kreb:

I cut my sideways teeth in 544 on forest service roads. It was a later one with a b18b which was very willing. The turning radius was by far the tightest of any car I have driven, which is I found very useful. A friend commented after a U turn in an Alley "this thing can turn like a horse".

Shaun
Shaun Reader
1/4/10 11:44 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: I know a little something about 122s. http://tunachuckers.com/

Great site! Those vids you link to are hilarious...

aeronca65t
aeronca65t HalfDork
1/4/10 11:47 a.m.

For some fun in-car race views of a 544 (from my Sprite), slide to 6:30 on ~This Video~

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/4/10 12:06 p.m.
aeronca65t wrote: For some fun in-car race views of a 544 (from my Sprite), slide to 6:30 on ~This Video~

Thanks! That's downright inspirational!

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
1/4/10 12:29 p.m.

You're talking about our old project car? It was sold back in 2004 and is in Baltimore with the next owner (Aaron Meisner) Per

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PyFUW3vL1iDifYdnhPCYL9a1W0jBzipOfNbsl7BH9RP1lbMYAR73TIqsvrdgvjMw