1 2
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/19/12 11:52 a.m.

Mint 1992 911 carrara 2 150k. The car will come less the motor and trans. The long story is the car was purchased for the motor and trans and the owner wants to sell the roller. I am thinking suby swap. The interior and exterior and under cartage are virtually perfect. Comes with turbo twist rims and great tires.

eebasist
eebasist New Reader
1/19/12 12:20 p.m.

LINKI'd say its in the 5-6000 dollar range if all goes well with condition/color. A roller cabriolet with bad top, and no motor went for 5K on ebay.

dean1484
1/19/12 1:13 p.m.

That makes me feel much better my friend offered it to me for 6K. I am hoping to talk him down to 5K.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
1/19/12 1:16 p.m.

$5k is a pretty good price if it is in great shape. You can buy a beat runner with no history for $10-13k so if it is a crap wagon of a roller or incomplete otherwise go lower.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/19/12 1:44 p.m.

$4,500 as it sits.

Let me say this about that:

I like to buy Porsches, running or not. I live near you, I own a car trailer and I have the cash on hand. I even have the next three days off. At five grand, I'm not even checking your local Craigslist for photos of the car.

Even if it's otherwise perfect, it's going to be expensive to make it move under it's own power. If you use a Porsche engine, you will have a car that is worth twelve grand when it's sorted. If you go through the trouble to add Subaru power (and I love Subaru power), it will be worth half that to anyone but you.

Proceed cautiously.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
1/19/12 2:38 p.m.

so the answer is miata?

rotard
rotard HalfDork
1/19/12 3:03 p.m.

$5k is a good deal. Snap it up now if you want it. I agree about the Subbie power; don't do it if you want to sell the car.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/19/12 5:06 p.m.

do a boring LSx swap

dean1484
1/20/12 7:07 a.m.

You will not find it in CL . I don't really need it. I was actually asking my friend about 951 rollers as I want to put a LM4 in one. This car is sitting on his lot (complete and running at the moment).

The car is very nice. The interior looks new the exterior is perfect for a 92. As a complete running car and classifying it as a driver I would call it a 9 out of 10. This is a friends and family deal. The car was purchased for the motor and trans for 23K The motor and trans are new (less than 500 Miles) These are going in to another car (the current owners other car).

The intent is not to purchase it and re sell it or make $$$$. I have learned along time ago that this is not a car that I would try to make $$$$ with or even try to brake even with. It would be a toy. It has the body style I like. It is in my book the perfect mix of the old 911's and the newer more aero cars. What made these cars a lot less desirable is that the servicing of them was a nightmare compared to the older (90 and older) and the newer (97 ??? and up) This middle generation of 911 was a PITA for instance adjusting he valves requires you pull the motor. Older and newer cars it is an in car procedure. Thus these cars in stock form are a lot less desirable then the older or newer ones as they don't have any more real performance potential than the older or newer ones and they are really expensive to maintain. So people skip over them. The new motor in this one is what is very valuable as it will not need a service for quite some time. Since servicing of these require the motor to be pulled the current owner purchased this car to just pull the motor and replace the one in his car that is old as tired and needs a rebuild.

Make sense?

So I think we have established that the 5-6 K price is fair. I was tanking to my friend and he told me that out in CA they are putting Lexus V8's in these. I was thinking of a Subi swap just, well cause it came to mind. An Lsx swap is obviously an option but it really is not what I want. I want to maintain the momentum driving experience so 260 HP is really all I want to look at. I also like the Subi because If I ever want to up the performance all I have to do is go STI or WRX.

I found out that swapping to water cooling is not big deal. You put radiators up in the front fenders (one in each) run the cooling lines through the rockers with a crossover connecting the two. Add an oil cooler either upfront or I was thinking of mounting it inside the hood lid behind the air intake with a puller fan mounted behind it. The rest is relatively simple fab work that has for the most part already been figured out by others so I would not really be forging new ground making the install that much easier.

I don't know why but fr some reason I keep thinking an EZ30D or an EZ36D would be my motor of choice. No not Subaru's best but a flat 6 with that kind of displacement just seems to be calling me. The second generation EZ30D is probably reality. But I really like that extra 600 CC in the EZ36D as well as it slightly lower compression ratio. However it is a different beast that I really don't know if it is time tested yet.

My other stumbling block is a trans. Obviously getting another Porsche trans is the easiest but it is also the most expensive. I was wondering if one from a subi can be flipped and run upside down.

Anyway these are just the rambling thoughts I have been having.

1/20/12 7:54 a.m.

In all honesty... if the car is in shape enough to have sold for $23k - at $5k you would be better served by finding a fresh motor/trans and dropping it in. You can easily do that for $15k by just buying a wrecked one. I bet you could buy a donor, refresh the top end and part it out for less than $10k total. Now, you are in $15k and have a $23k car.

The 964 cars are not super desirable now - but they had an all new 3.6L motor that (by 92) was rock solid, long lived and capable of pushing it to 165mph in bone stock form. They are stout and simple but the suspension was new and much more sophisticated than all of the predecessors. There is a reason that they sit on all the NASA GTS3/4 podiums.

I believe that 10yrs from now when all the good 993s are unobtainium and all the G50 Carreras are too - the 964, which is already pretty rare, will be worth something. (unless it is missing it's motor/trans).

If you just want a 911 looking, subie powered car to build and you really don't care about that stuff - rock on.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs New Reader
1/20/12 8:12 a.m.

$650 gets you a twin turbo ej20, I'd get that, throw it in the back an flog the ever loving out of it. But I'm inherently cheap and can't see the point in paying way more than what you need to to get the same hp.

dean1484
1/20/12 11:49 a.m.

@ Giant Purple Snorklewacker: Why oh why do you have to make so much sense LOL. I have thought of that option as well. The 964 is probably my favorite of the 911's in the last 20 years and that is strictly based on looks. Enough aero design on the front end to have a bit more of a modern look while still retaining dam near all of the classic 911 styling that I really like in the older cars.

On another note I was wrong about the wheels. Fr some reason my memory was thinking that they were the more modern twists. Quite honestly I did not look all that close at them when i was there as it was not high on my priority list of things to inspect,

A sneak peak at what I am looking at.

Sooooooooooooo Tempting. I now have to present this to the wife. I would ask for forgiveness but this may be a little much. 5K for a non running car may make her nuts.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Reader
1/20/12 3:58 p.m.

If it were my money, there is no way in the world I wouldn't put anything but another porsche engine back in a car that nice. YMMV.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/20/12 4:00 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: @ Giant Purple Snorklewacker: Why oh why do you have to make so much dance LOL.

Yea, stop making dance.

dean1484
1/20/12 5:11 p.m.

WTF is with the grammar police lately. A PM so I can fix it would be much more productive. The google autocorrect is not always perfect in its assessment of my spelling.

dean1484
1/20/12 5:15 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: If it were my money, there is no way in the world I wouldn't put anything but another porsche engine back in a car that nice. YMMV.

Ya but pissing off a purist can be equally fun. I have had P cars for so long I make it a point not to be one of them..

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/20/12 5:19 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: WTF it with the grammar police lately. A PM so I can fix it would be much more productive. The google autocorrect is not always perfect in its assessment of my spelling.

Sorry, I just thought it was kinda funny. I knew what you meant.

dean1484
1/21/12 8:50 a.m.

This goes against everything I want to do but I think I may ask my friend that owned the shop if he wants to go in on this car. We will then cobble together another motor and trans from the multitude of parts he has lying around his shop. I get to learn 911 mechanics and we save the car. When we get it complete I by him out including his profit and I come home with a running car. He makes some cash I get to learn and I get the benifit of having a 911 expert looking over my shoulder while I screw it back together.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/21/12 5:38 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: This goes against everything I want to do but I think I may ask my friend that owned the shop if he wants to go in on this car. We will then cobble together another motor and trans from the multitude of parts he has lying around his shop. I get to learn 911 mechanics and we save the car. When we get it complete I by him out including his profit and I come home with a running car. He makes some cash I get to learn and I get the benifit of having a 911 expert looking over my shoulder while I screw it back together.

I think you might be better off buying the parts from him and paying him to let you work in his shop

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
1/21/12 5:48 p.m.
icaneat50eggs wrote: $650 gets you a twin turbo ej20, I'd get that, throw it in the back an flog the ever loving out of it. But I'm inherently cheap and can't see the point in paying way more than what you need to to get the same hp.

Where? With ECU and wiring? Not busting your chops, seriously interested, I'd snap one up quick at that price if you have a source.

Woody
1/21/12 6:34 p.m.

I've seen them for $950 in New Jersey.

dean1484
1/22/12 8:39 a.m.
mr2peak wrote:
dean1484 wrote: This goes against everything I want to do but I think I may ask my friend that owned the shop if he wants to go in on this car. We will then cobble together another motor and trans from the multitude of parts he has lying around his shop. I get to learn 911 mechanics and we save the car. When we get it complete I by him out including his profit and I come home with a running car. He makes some cash I get to learn and I get the benefit of having a 911 expert looking over my shoulder while I screw it back together.
I think you might be better off buying the parts from him and paying him to let you work in his shop

That is the intent. Space may be an issue as he has stuff everywhere. I bet I could assemble 4 911's with the various parts he has laying around.

dean1484
1/22/12 8:57 p.m.

Well the wife said ok. I was kind of hoping she would say no and I could just put this behind me. But she said that if it makes you happy and it is what you want. . .. Bla Bla Bla. .. . . . I am going to pay my friend a visit and get serious about price and discussing some arrangements and options. I would really like to just screw a monster Subaru motor in it and completely surprised people but another part of me is thinking for speed and probably cost just put another P car motor in there. A lot will depend on what he has in the corners of his shop.

1/22/12 9:49 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

The wife is in... Now it makes no difference what you do, you are doing it. And... Don't sweat the grammar police. I live to make dance :D

Woody
1/22/12 10:23 p.m.

I fully support this project, whatever direction it takes.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RpFKykcfvbzNjSE2btsfgn6ZBAKeIH98BPNh5JKOzwfqHHL3CEGX4qheXMC95oLn