1 ... 9 10 11 12 13
pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
10/27/17 2:49 p.m.

I would say a vibe or matrix count as a wagon.  A pt cruiser is a wagon as well.  Its going to be up to the competitors to argue why they feel their vehicle firs the class.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/27/17 3:39 p.m.
pimpm3 said:

Its going to be up to the competitors to argue why they feel their vehicle firs the class.

If you have to come up with an argument to justify calling a car a "wagon" then it's not a wagon.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/27/17 3:52 p.m.
Ian F said:
pimpm3 said:

Its going to be up to the competitors to argue why they feel their vehicle firs the class.

If you have to come up with an argument to justify calling a car a "wagon" then it's not a wagon.

If someone brings a biturbo with a truck topper I'll call that a wagon.

Also, agree the matrix/vibe should be a wagon

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/27/17 3:55 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Then why the berk bother having the class? frown

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/27/17 4:05 p.m.
Grizz said:

I demand at least one turbodiesel wagon. And fake wood on everything. EVERYTHING.

Also that magnum is giving me terrible desires for either a new "daily driver" that does neither or an engine for my dakota.

And when I say terrible desires I literally mean it.  I had to fire up paint for the glorious image that my brain birthed.

This so reminds me of my old '78 Plymouth Fury wagon.  Red with the fake wood.  I loved that car.  My girlfriend hated it.  I no longer have the car but I conned the girl into marrying me a little of 25 years ago and she still puts up with me.  I consider that a win but I still think about building another wagon.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
10/27/17 4:07 p.m.

I'm surprised at how well the late 70s/early 80s aesthetic fits the magnum body.

I showed that to my mother and she stared at it for a while before just shaking her head and saying "yeah"

Robbie
10/27/17 4:20 p.m.
Ian F said:

In reply to Robbie :

We do this because it is fun. I happen to think seeing someone try to challenge a biturbo would be fun. If you think it would be a wagon class overdog, get on it!

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/27/17 5:57 p.m.

In reply to jstand :

LSx engines have gone up in price if you ask me. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
10/27/17 8:42 p.m.

What affordable wagon comes stock with the best suspension geometry for autocross? 

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
10/27/17 9:05 p.m.

60's Amazon? 50's Kaiser jeep.( a Couple 'round here on S-10 frames) I know I know but you wern't thinking of leaving it alone were you

jstand
jstand Dork
10/27/17 9:25 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I haven’t been watching, but I wouldn’t doubt it. 

I took a quick look and $1998 dollars in 1998 is equivalent to $3,000 in 2017.  

I’d be interested to see how the first winner and most recent challenge winner compared when looking at what the teams were able to do with the available budget and what effect inflation had 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/27/17 9:46 p.m.
Robbie said:
Ian F said:

In reply to Robbie :

We do this because it is fun. I happen to think seeing someone try to challenge a biturbo would be fun. If you think it would be a wagon class overdog, get on it!

Because it's not a wagon and I don't see the point or fun in doing it.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/27/17 9:56 p.m.
Andy Neuman said:

What affordable wagon comes stock with the best suspension geometry for autocross? 

In rwd?

I think e34 5series are double wishbone?

so are accord wagons, at least afaik in the '90s.  But, fwd.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
10/28/17 12:59 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

I have three Kadett wagons in my yard right now if someone is interested.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
10/28/17 7:27 a.m.

I think a protege5 would do well in the autocross.  They are terribly slow in a straight line however.

I think we will see lots of Volvo's and subarus.

Robbie
10/28/17 8:02 a.m.
sleepyhead said:
Andy Neuman said:

In rwd?

I think e34 5series are double wishbone?

Accord wagon is an excellent idea. Throw a big turbo on a j motor!

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/28/17 9:00 a.m.
Robbie said:
sleepyhead said:

Accord wagon is an excellent idea. Throw a big turbo on a j motor!

J-swaps are easy, right?  'cause I think all those era accord wagons had F-motors in them.

cafcwest
cafcwest HalfDork
11/2/17 1:46 p.m.

Picked it up in Sept. for ~$1565 out the door. One of the ways I justified it was "It'd make a good GRM Challenge car!". Using it as a part time DD right now, but it is possible it sees Gainesville next year.  Haven't competed since $2003, so a return is long overdue.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/5/17 10:28 a.m.

Decisions were made. 1980 Datsun 210 Wagon roller for $180 with title. Curb weight with engine is supposedly just 2060 lbs.

$2018 Wagon Class, here we come!

24" between the "frame rails". 34" between the strut towers. 30" if you leave room for the brakes. 

I'm thinking VQ35 drivetrain swap from a 2WD Pathfinder.

Yes, the rear seats fold flat!

Rear suspension is a triangulated 4-link with coil springs. Earlier models were leaf springs.

Too ugly for the driveway, so I built a tire rack to make room.

The Rice Rod is still priority #1, which is why it gets the big spot in the front. This was just too cheap and close by to pass up. Build thread will start when the actual build starts.

Who else is in? Let's see some more wagons!

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/5/17 11:16 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Hell yeah!

Robbie
11/5/17 11:49 a.m.

Yes!!!! If you need someone to come down and grind on some rust, or say, run for beer/parts in a Saab truck, I know a guy.

Another option for a single engine/trans/axle donor would be the Kia Sportage. They have the Mazda fe3 (I think) engine that is basically the mazda6 f2t in longitudinal layout. Add mucho boost. Keeping the whole thing Nissan is cool though. A sweet sr20 cut overnight from Japan would turn that into a screamer too.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/5/17 11:52 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

GTR drivetrain swap /thread.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/5/17 5:07 p.m.

So after seeing that I go and find this. 

Some one please please get this before I make a bad life choice.  

83 Corolla wagon

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/5/17 5:11 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

that is the ugliest color interior i have ever seen

Robbie
11/5/17 5:24 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I'm failing to see any bad life choice there... Other than continuing to sit on your couch while you should be headed to pick that up. Supra wheels!

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cDFbiIA0uUHeV3TtEPUrILi2gaCdA2TZTQbINm6kRQVQRQHdXZpoHMcgbSSs2EHz