1 2
DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
8/22/16 8:37 p.m.

Just window shopping to feed my AADD, not (too) serious.
Let's say you are in the market for a Q ship. Whay would you buy, and why? Here's the criteria:
1 - no engine swaps allowes, unless it's truly a near bolt in swap.
2- extra points for bolt on mods from other cars, like the Q45 that I think you can swap parts from the 300Z?
3- must seat 4 or more.

Let's hear your picks in the $50 - $5,00 range, and the $5,001 - $10,000 range.

I'll start with one I've always loved, but are unobtanium now, the Galant VR4.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/22/16 9:03 p.m.

In the low budget bracket we have a pair of wagons, the Buick road master, which can have police caprice suspension and steering bits swapped on and benefits from aftermarket support of the sbc. Or if you'd like with less wood paneling and a European flair, how about a wagon from Sweden fitted with a turbocharger.

In at higher pricepoint we have the latest offerings with AMG with amenities and features that are the second most impressive thing that you're likely to encounter, just behind their deferred maintenance. Or if boosted swedes are you thing, the Saab Viggen. Viggen, it's like if jets had torque steer.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
8/22/16 9:06 p.m.

XJR, S60R, V70R, the best things have Rs.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
8/22/16 9:22 p.m.

Chevy SS/ current police Caprice. Not in the stated price range yet, but they don't look at all like RWD pursuit cars either.

A mildly tuned Jag XJ12 sedan would meet the criteria, but I couldn't promise reliability. IMO, the V12 sedans don't look much different to the untrained eye than regular XJ sedans, unlike the later XJ-R 6s or 8s.

Put some regular wheels on a BMW 745 sport, and only Bimmer heads would recognize it. Care and feeding of one of those these days could be just as involved as the Jags that I already mentioned.

I always liked the Infinity M45 sedans, they definitely have a Q-ship vibe, I don't think that they are aging well though.

Speaking of Japanese luxury sleeper, Lexus GS 400s aren't commanding nearly what they used to, can the be Q-ships? IDK.

The SAAB 9-7x aero, aka troll-blazer probably qualifies if your willing to put SUVs in the mix.

The mid 2000s Pontiac GTOs weren't quite Q-ships, but weren't obnoxious looking racer wannabes like so many other Pontiac "performance" cars. I could dig a 6.0 LS powered GTO.

Speaking of Pontiacs, I always liked the Bonneville SSeI. I'm sure that engine has tuning potential, not sure about the rest of the car though.

That supercharged 3800 engine was also in a Buick, I forgot which model name, but it was quite plain looking compared to the Bonneville.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/22/16 9:27 p.m.

Low budget, GS400/430. 14 second quarter mile, reliable, comfortable, fun to drive, and pretty anonymous looking.

In the higher budget range, s600 or s63 AMG. Astonishing power and still fairly low profile looks.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
8/22/16 9:34 p.m.

The higher bidget range caps out at 10K. Tryin' to make it a little challenging.
Good suggestions so far. I hadn't thought about the Trollblazer. Good call.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/22/16 9:41 p.m.

Cotton here picked up the twin turbo s600 for $6500. 600hp. That's my pick. Best ever q ship in that price range.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
8/22/16 9:43 p.m.
dculberson wrote: Cotton here picked up the twin turbo s600 for $6500. 600hp. That's my pick. Best ever q ship in that price range.

WHAT??!!!

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/22/16 9:51 p.m.
JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
8/22/16 9:55 p.m.

If you are thinking Gen1, Q45, here is the performance playbook.
If looking at Gen 1, best to seek out a '94 or '95 since some of the bugs were worked out by then. Most notably, improved, metal chain guides.

320-ish HP with ecu tune. 300z-ish based suspension and factory rwd lsd. New enough for abs but old enough to have no traction control.
Manual trans of Z cars can be adapted too.

Relatively easy to find sub $2k examples that are roadworthy.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
8/22/16 9:57 p.m.

Start with a silver Camry. There are a zillion of them out there, you can hide in the crowd.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
8/22/16 10:14 p.m.

At the more current and more high end of the budget, check out the Infiniti M56.

420 hp worth of 5.6L in a body resembling too much of an Altima.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/22/16 10:22 p.m.

First gen Speed3 Is not a bad option. Much faster then they look. No work required. A few bolt ones will likely add some hp though.

Second gen got a bit "racey" looking.

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
8/22/16 10:23 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: Chevy SS/ current police Caprice. Not in the stated price range yet, but they don't look at all like RWD pursuit cars either.

I have seen several retired police caprices come up for around $8k. I really wished I needed a sedan at that moment.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
8/22/16 10:28 p.m.

So I googled Q-ship. If I decided to ignore what I assume you guys mean, look at the literal WWI/II definition, and then barely translate that to a car.

I vote E150 van with a 5.4 and a blower. Windows are optional.

Pretty sure I'm doing this wrong.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/16 10:37 p.m.

High end would be a STR. there is one locally for just under 10k

Do trucks count? I am really impressed with my 03 Sierra Denali these can be had for about 10k with average mileage in decent shape.

Low end would be the newest P71 plus boost of some sort.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/22/16 10:38 p.m.
Chadeux wrote: I vote E150 van with a 5.4 and a blower. Windows are optional. Pretty sure I'm doing this wrong.

No, that's good. The 5.4 will need to be behind the driver though. Otherwise that will be a tire destruction device.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
8/22/16 10:47 p.m.

In reply to aircooled:

I mean, I didn't actually want this until you said that.

drdisque
drdisque HalfDork
8/22/16 11:06 p.m.

BTW the Buick Equivalent to the Bonneville SSEi was the Park Avenue Ultra.

the 1991-1996 Park Avenue Ultra was essentially a Deville with a V6 so if you ever wanted a FWD Cadillac but didn't want to deal with a 4.1/4.9 or a Northstar, there you go.

Anyway, for my money in that segment it's hard to beat an LS400.

HunterBenz
HunterBenz Reader
8/22/16 11:12 p.m.

I have put several hundred miles on the new Caprice PPV. I have only driven the V6 version. They handle really dang well for being built like a tank. The V6 is fun, I bet the V8 is better.

I'm not an auto guy, but the sport mode on the trans will actually let you decel with engine revs like running a manual if you can figure out the way the pedal feeds the computer.

I've been trying to convince the wife we need a V8 Caprice.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
8/22/16 11:17 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

For the under $5k group, a Mazda 626 Turbo from 1988 to 1992. I like these because they're easy to work on, very well made, can get decent mpg's, and have a lot of space inside. They aren't loud, handle okay from the factory, and are very comfortable.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/22/16 11:57 p.m.

Does a 1988 Cressida count?

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
8/23/16 7:13 a.m.

My wife is puzzled by the quantity and variety of my CL searches.
I think she's worries too. I keep hearing the word "intervention" being whispered when she's on the phone.

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
8/23/16 7:23 a.m.

In reply to HunterBenz: Man, I'm both happy and sad to hear this. Happy because I've been lusting for one of these lately, and sad because the secret is getting out.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/23/16 8:58 a.m.

2004-2008 Forester XT.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i6BYkredc2Mu4zNX641Hf6cL9PcFoqslrYDMIpunutVyp9wKFrWV56wL1f8yELTl