1 2 3 4
Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
1/12/21 6:57 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

In reply to Cactus :

Remind me what car it is and what level you run it at? A full gage with all the gear is always best but the half cage may be good enough.

V8 swapped XR4Ti. It has a fixed back FIA fiberglass seat bolted to the floor, 6 point harnesses and I wear a hybrid S. All it does is HPDE.

Though I really do want a tube frame car.

Or a roofless vintage racer with arm restraints.

wake74
wake74 Reader
1/12/21 7:04 p.m.

I run a Ben Simpson bar in my E36 track rat with the cross bracing as well.  I figured it was the best thing minus full cage.  My E36 is low budget HPDE track rat, comprised almost entirely of quality used parts, that I waited for and bought cheap when deals where to be had.  (Strike immediately when the deal comes).  It's a fully stripped track only car at this point.  Fixed back seats, six points, etc.  While I've been fortunate to have never hit anything in this car, I did have a meaningful shunt in a 82 Reynard FF, about 15 years ago.

Summit Point, down the chute and hit the inside tire wall hard (twice, destroying two corners). HANS were expensive and still not generally used in the club racing world at the time.  Wife was up in the start tower watching with our baby.  Track went red flag, then black, after the ambulance went out.  All returned but mine. Wife freaked as she didn't know what happened other they all came back but me, plus one ambulance.  Thankfully wasn't hurt other than a seriously sore neck.  Ambulance due to the dramatic impact, and they felt it wise to do some concussion protocol.  Swore to the wife (and myself) that I'd never set foot on a track without a HANS device again.   Feel naked now without it.

On a plus, the tow truck driver artfully, stuffed the thing right back into the trailer so at least I didn't have to deal with that :-)

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
1/12/21 7:55 p.m.

In reply to Cactus :

It's probably time to put the front half in the car. The XRatti is a lot more crash worthy than my Datsun but it still needs more.  I don't think it is dangerous as is, but obviously given the V8 it's wise.

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
1/12/21 7:55 p.m.
Tadope said:

Anyone wanna analys this?  

A careless driver took out a car that had double it's stock horsepower, custom suspension, equipped with the widest and stickiest tires possible and zero effective safety upgrades.  Apparently at the time it was a fairly common spot for people to go off track, so this particular wreck was exceptional in that not only did he go off, but went off with such energy that he jumped a tire barrier and flipped on the other side of it.

I think the takeaway is that if you're going to give a Mustang 75% of a NASCAR engine and take it out on a road course you might wish to consider a few real safety upgrades to go with the horsepower.  If you're the owner of such a machine you also might think twice about handing the keys over to someone who has a reputation for overdriving their cars.

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
1/12/21 8:02 p.m.

In reply to wake74 :

I'd bought a HANS about 18 years ago I'd put it off because my car was slow but then when someone said the toward momentum in the Earnhardt crash was 45 mph it became harder to ignore. After a friend died  due to a crash in a pro series race (basal skull fracture) I new I was simply kidding myself, I worked some overtime to scrape up the $800 before the next event. 

Tadope
Tadope New Reader
1/13/21 12:20 p.m.

Hi op here. I think im going to just run stock seatbelts thb.

cages sound iffy.  That stang had a cage and it just fell through the floor.

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/13/21 12:29 p.m.
Tadope said:

Hi op here. I think im going to just run stock seatbelts thb.

cages sound iffy.  That stang had a cage and it just fell through the floor.

Good call. Get acquainted with the car first and if the bug bites hard go to the next step. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
1/13/21 3:30 p.m.

Get a HANS.  I run a Simpson Hybrid S when I use a "regular" 3 point seat belt and a HANS when I use a 5/6 point harness.

Tadope
Tadope New Reader
1/13/21 4:42 p.m.
docwyte said:

Get a HANS.  I run a Simpson Hybrid S when I use a "regular" 3 point seat belt and a HANS when I use a 5/6 point harness.

yeah once I actually get on track then that sounds fine. but I think track days are still a few months away.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/13/21 5:02 p.m.

In reply to Tadope :

Correction - the mustang had a hoop with feet that punched through the floor pan (you can see them poking through in the first pic) because they didn't make a larger plate or tie it into a more substantial piece of the chassis. 

I think you'll be better off with the stock belts.

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
1/13/21 5:35 p.m.

In reply to Tadope :

Even though you don't need it now keep your eye out for deals on the head and neck restraints as they come up from time to time. 

Tadope
Tadope New Reader
1/14/21 9:27 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

In reply to Tadope :

Even though you don't need it now keep your eye out for deals on the head and neck restraints as they come up from time to time. 

Right on if i see something

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DyqvmwjHqgND2EPN6AAo3GMqlaShukAtURrI6TRPKZqFaOYnGWUc7eWZW4eQLIyj