1 2 3
M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
10/22/16 8:30 p.m.

I own 3 cars that I'd like too garage & a 2 car garage & the side of the garage with the lift is currently tied up by my son's doing engine/transmission swap in his e46 323 touring. Currently I'm sorta rotating what gets garaged. That said, not having garage space wouldn't prevent me from owning any car, no matter how nice or expensive.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/22/16 8:35 p.m.

Back in the late 90's at the peak of dot com boom there was a rental house on a heavily trafficked street near here that obviously had several young guys with really good jobs.

There was a new M3 and a Ferrari 355 both lived outside year round.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
10/22/16 9:05 p.m.

Personally I'm more comfortable letting newer stuff sit outside as it can better withstand our brutal elements here i.e. winter snow, ice, and cold. Then again my newer stuff is a rather bland late model minivan and a "why would anyone drive that" econobox. My old stuff is 70s vintage and I wouldn't sleep well at night if I left it outside.

The other reason, and maybe more importantly at least for me, is the security a garage offers. Yeah if someone wants to get in, they will eventually get in but I'm gonna make them work hard to gain access. It only took one time years ago when my ride was vandalized (while sitting out in the driveway in a supposed "good" neighborhood) to convince me to secure as much as possible the machinery that means most to me.

roninsoldier83
roninsoldier83 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/22/16 10:55 p.m.

A guy across the street from my kid's school always used to park a Lotus Elise outside on the street, year round. I really wouldn't want to do something like that.

I used to park my Miata's outside without a problem, but I would draw the line at something that was rare or appreciating in value. Or something that was more at risk of rust, or had a fairly high rate of being stolen.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/22/16 11:05 p.m.

Veyron

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/22/16 11:42 p.m.
wheelsmithy wrote: Veyron

I was thinking hemi Cuda convertible.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
10/22/16 11:47 p.m.

I've had windows broken, dog E36 M3 wiped under my door handles, a car set on fire and have had them hit while sitting outside. So anything that I want to keep nice goes in a garage. Currently I only have a one car garage and the bike is in there, the wife's car is parked behind the garage.

That's really a big reason why I don't want to get another car right now. No place to park it except out front on the street. It's a mental block I can't quite get over.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
10/23/16 9:11 a.m.

Our 2014 Grand Cherokee was 11 months old when got it and had only lived outside in Wisconsin. Of course I consider it disposable. I was more upset when the $2500 miata got parked in a snow bank.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/23/16 9:45 a.m.

Every car I've ever owned has lived outside for at least some period of time, but I do feel at least a little bad if it's anything beyond beater status.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
10/23/16 9:50 a.m.
Nick (Bo) Comstock wrote: I've had windows broken, dog E36 M3 wiped under my door handles, a car set on fire and have had them hit while sitting outside. So anything that I want to keep nice goes in a garage. Currently I only have a one car garage and the bike is in there, the wife's car is parked behind the garage. That's really a big reason why I don't want to get another car right now. No place to park it except out front on the street. It's a mental block I can't quite get over.

That sucks.

The timing of this thread and more specifically my post just yesterday was telling, at least to me. Wife and I were out on a walk last night. While walking I recalled seeing two teen boys riding bikes (same direction as we were walking but across the street) and one of the bikes stood out as it had neon green foot pegs-which were still somewhat visible in the diminishing daylight. I didn't think anymore of it. We finished our walk about an hour later and when we got back home, I realized both my daughters bikes, one that has neon green foot pegs, were both missing from the front porch (they forgot to put them inside the garage where they are usually kept). These are bikes for 10 year old kids but it still sours me. And last week I went to get two landscape shovels I had on the side of the garage (outside) but inside an unsecured fence/gate. And after checking all around the yard, garage, I realized they were gone. Even though it's not vehicle related, it still sucks.

Time to move to plan B.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/23/16 10:28 a.m.
mndsm wrote:
wheelsmithy wrote: Veyron
I was thinking hemi Cuda convertible.

Yeah, that's better. No amount of money would make me feel a Veryon was the choice for me.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/23/16 12:48 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy:

Shelby Daytona Coupe

penultimeta
penultimeta Reader
10/23/16 4:20 p.m.

I think, for me, it has more to do with level of rarity than "niceness", though we're speaking in hypotheticals here because I'm poor and probably always will be. I'd probably let a new c7 sit outside and garage a MGB GT just because they're not making any more of the latter and the former are a dime a dozen around here.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
10/23/16 5:49 p.m.

All my cars it outside so I dont look nice, But they work OK.

Cars I see around town without garages

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
10/23/16 5:52 p.m.

I don't understand the question. Who doesn't have a garage? what kind of uncivilized living is that? I mean, I live in BFE with terrible internet connections, a DIRT road and have a garage. That's like some serious bad joujou there. People actually live like that? Ugh... the nightmares!

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
10/23/16 6:14 p.m.

I dont have a garage or even room to put one. All my building is on a dirt driveway with 110v hand tools.

Bobzilla wrote: I don't understand the question. Who doesn't have a garage? what kind of uncivilized living is that? I mean, I live in BFE with terrible internet connections, a DIRT road and have a garage. That's like some serious bad joujou there. People actually live like that? Ugh... the nightmares!
captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/23/16 6:31 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

BFE is where land is readily available for spacious garages. Closer to urban areas they'd put another house on the same land and post out front for zipcar parking only.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/23/16 6:35 p.m.

I hate leaving stuff outside regarless of what it is. Winter is even worse, who wants to scrape snow and frost off every morning?

Dr Ribs Revere
Dr Ribs Revere Reader
10/26/16 10:07 a.m.

Bloomberg: America is building more Three car garages than one bedroom apartments.

Makes sense better profit margins and economies of scale. Kind of a shame though to have what's likely your second biggest expense sitting outside, if it's like many of my neighbors the garage will be full of crap or converted into a room with the cars parked outside.

Opti
Opti HalfDork
10/26/16 11:18 a.m.

I guess it has to do with your location, i dont even consider the possibility of someone berkeleying with my car.

The vette is only ever locked when I go to my softball game, because my wallet and phone stay in it. All other time it is unlocked.

But in a small country town thieves probably think, yah I could walk onto his property and steal something from his car. I might get a stereo or a phone or an ipod, but the likelihood of him owning a gun and shooting me is prolly pretty high, so ill jist leave it.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/16 2:02 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: I don't understand the question. Who doesn't have a garage? what kind of uncivilized living is that? I mean, I live in BFE with terrible internet connections, a DIRT road and have a garage. That's like some serious bad joujou there. People actually live like that? Ugh... the nightmares!

Hi, I have no garage and most people in my country don't. It is indeed a nightmare.

There's a rich guy here whose house is hidden out in a sugar cane field, he parks his S2 Elise outside and has to drive a good distance on a rocky trail to get it onto the street.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
10/27/16 11:07 a.m.

Kept my Lamborghini in a porte cochere for years, open at both ends - think wind tunnel.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/27/16 12:12 p.m.

The garage is for race cars with no windows (or, in some cases roof) and stuff that's getting worked on. My most expensive vehicle is my F250 DD and that doesn't even fit in the garage.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
10/27/16 2:33 p.m.

This one.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
10/27/16 2:50 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: I hate leaving stuff outside regarless of what it is. Winter is even worse, who wants to scrape snow and frost off every morning?

This. With all the house crap the garage has been taken up and my poor car has had to sit OUTSIDE for 6 whole days. In a ROW! All that dew... yuck.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GOqPw6W6IwmqhNyzy6RBAizJ7FOr4WWii7DzYnL1uOsgUGantCE8AssGntreMkUe