imirk
imirk New Reader
3/15/11 1:10 p.m.

$500 CL Alfa

What is this car?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/15/11 1:11 p.m.

Alfetta GT/GTV. Most likely missing a 2.5l V6.

imirk
imirk New Reader
3/15/11 1:17 p.m.

... now learn me Alfetta GT/GTV?

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
3/15/11 1:26 p.m.

Its a GTV6. I have an engine that will fit it i would sell for $150, it has alot of miles on it, but as far as I know it was running when the car got scrapped. They arent that hard to work on, and most parts are easily available, but some are quite expensive (like the clutch, windshield glass, things like that). A GTV6 is likely to be rather rusty as well if it has been outside a long time. One that is in good shape is reliable enough to drive daily (although a spare car would be recomended) and with a little work, it will handle like a miata but have enough room to be useful.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
3/15/11 1:27 p.m.

While it's still a 116 chassis, it's not actually an Alfetta- Alfa dropped the name when they went to the V6.

So it's a 2.5l V6, which is pretty stout- lots of fans- can't recall the power, but still quite popular in the Alfa arena. 5 speed transaxle in the rear of the car. Torsion bar sprung front suspension, de-Dion suspension in the rear.

Last year, one did manage to win a Lemons race.

I'm not all that familiar with them, but www.alfabb.com should get you more info.

Eric

BoxheadTim
3/15/11 1:28 p.m.

Travis summed it up pretty nicely. I'd recommend looking for rust, the mechanicals are fairly robust. That said, my impression of the US market is that they're fairly cheap here anyway so you might be better off buying a better one.

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
3/15/11 1:41 p.m.

Honestly none of them are really worth fixing up much anymore, I have probably spent close to $10k in parts on my milano, and I doubt I could get more than $3-400 for it even though I drive it everyday (yes I typed the right number of zeros). $3500 will get a decent GTv6 here, one that looks like that but is a driver maybe $1500-$2k.

imirk
imirk New Reader
3/15/11 1:44 p.m.

Other than the looks, how does the GTV vs. 944?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/15/11 1:44 p.m.

The solution- LSx.

imirk
imirk New Reader
3/15/11 1:47 p.m.

the wheelbase IS within an inch of a c4 ...

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
3/15/11 1:50 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: The solution- LSx.

Sorry, but eww. One of those cars with a chevy V8 would be such a hack job it would be pointless.

They are alot easier and cheaper to work on than a 944, they dont have a torque tube, IMO far more comfortable to sit in (I could not even fit in a 944 to drive it), they have inboard brakes and the 944 doesnt, the GTV6 is easier to get to 200hp than a 944, but beyond its not easy for either one. More rust on the GTV6.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/15/11 1:54 p.m.
Travis_K wrote: Honestly none of them are really worth fixing up much anymore, I have probably spent close to $10k in parts on my milano, and I doubt I could get more than $3-400 for it even though I drive it everyday (yes I typed the right number of zeros). $3500 will get a decent GTv6 here, one that looks like that but is a driver maybe $1500-$2k.

I bought my Milano for $600 put a total of $500 into her and just sold her for $1800. Even after insurance gave me $650 for damage that I did not repair (expect I replaced the drivers side mirror)

She did though, come with a new clutch, that I installed.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/15/11 2:00 p.m.

I'm a fan of the GTV6. I like the looks, the engine is a gem (although not overly powerful) and sounds absolutely fantastic. They are good handlers, and fun cars. Unfortunately, they also have really vague, crappy shifters. (think Porsche 914)

imirk
imirk New Reader
3/15/11 2:00 p.m.

with box flares?

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
3/15/11 2:32 p.m.

The shifter in my milano isnt bad at all. I rebuilt the linkage though, and its a bit different than the GTV6 linkage.

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
3/15/11 4:44 p.m.

The Milano linkage is better than the GTV6 linkage. The best part of them is the motor. It is one of the best sounding motors ever. I've owned both a GTV6 and a 944, so I'll throw out a few comparisons. Maintenance is similar. They both have a short timing belt / water pump interval. The Alfa is probably a bit easier to work on, but not by much. They both also have a rear transaxle, with the Alfa having inboard rear brakes and a deDeion rear suspension.

Both are decent handlers, but the Porsche had by far a better driving position. And as much as I love Alfas, the GTV6 was not their high point in build quality, so I'll give the nod to the Porsche here. I loved it though, the sound of the V6 is worth everything it puts you through.

The real trick with one is to not ever buy an abused one. A well maintained example is pretty reliable, and one that uses all factory parts is much better as well. Alfa parts are very good, but many aftermarket ones simply don't work all that well on these models. So just like the Porsche; condition, condition, condition is everything on these. And you need records, don't just take their word for it.

For an engine swap, the 3 liter out of the Milano Verde will drop right in, and is a big upgrade!

imirk
imirk New Reader
3/15/11 5:01 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: The best part of them is the motor. It is one of the best sounding motors ever. For an engine swap, the 3 liter out of the Milano Verde will drop right in, and is a big upgrade!

Do these two contradict each other?

BoxheadTim
3/15/11 5:02 p.m.

They don't, the 3L is a bigger version of the 2.5L.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
3/15/11 7:49 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: They don't, the 3L is a bigger version of the 2.5L.

popular swap.

And I think that you can do a lot of parts swap on the 164's 3.0l, so that it drop into a GTV6- so that may be a cheaper source of an engine than a Milano Verde. The Silver, Gold, and Platinum Milanos all did the 2.5l.

That v6 is a gem, and I drove one for a very short time- love that engine.

(But, it's true, I'm biased)

mike
mike Reader
3/15/11 10:19 p.m.
imirk wrote: with box flares?

Yeow, what? Can't turn away, must look at smooth blend of awful and awesome.

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
3/15/11 10:56 p.m.

The 164 engine will work but you need a 3.0 milano flywheel. The engine I have for sale is a 164 3.0 longblock, and i live about half an hour from where that car is if anyone buys it and wants a cheap engine.

rogerbvonceg
rogerbvonceg Reader
3/16/11 11:47 a.m.

Test drove a crappy one and it's a sensual experience that I will never forget. Dude had a straight-pipe out to the back. Shifter was awful, which just made me laugh out loud. Everyone turned to look at this thing. I don't know if it was the engine noise or what. Manual steering.

I really, really, want one. A good one.

Easiest swap is probably the whole drivetrain from a dead Milano Verde, because that gives you an LSD and fixes the shifter and the speedo sender, also. (dead speedos are common on GTV6s, and I understand the sending unit is obsolete/difficult to find and replace.)

Ultimate swap might be a 24V 3.0 from a 164 (Q?) mated to a Milano Platinum rear end. Platinum also had LSD but a lower final drive.

As for comparisons to the 944 (NA), Hemmings did a great one a few years back.

http://www.hemmings.com/hsx/stories/2009/01/01/hmn_feature9.html

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/16/11 12:08 p.m.

I am sad that I had to let mine go. As everyone has said the engine noise is something you can never forget and want to hear over and over agin. I have never had a car lat liked to rev like my GTV6, I was hiting the rev limiter all the time.

I used to hang out here alot when I had mine: alfagtv6.com

I will have another one one of these days.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t8V3pqxIVMZYLmhnV5D0TXBdvmp16Zbsyv9kMY6Q694yEOgpW4s4G2fjkxK1iB0U