1 2
impulsive
impulsive Reader
10/29/18 10:36 p.m.

Chinese will take top dollar to make top quality and still turn out the lowest grade crap they can get away with. 

They put toxic chemicals in infant formula and sold to their own people. You think they give 2 E36 M3s about quality of export goods to yankee devil?

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/29/18 11:12 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid said:

Well I had to go to Oriellys to get a new bearing on the fly, got it replaced, everything torqued to specs, drove it from Illinois down I-70 through Colorado and by the time I got to Grand Junction, the new bearing was already making noise. 

Good thing it has a warranty. 

What brand bearing did you buy?

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/30/18 11:11 a.m.

100k for Chevy front wheel bearings is par for the course.  Poor design.

Bearings have taken a nose dive in quality over the years, but Chevy just under-engineered this part on the later trucks.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
10/30/18 11:20 a.m.
stanger_missle said:

Well I had to go to Oriellys to get a new bearing on the fly, got it replaced, everything torqued to specs, drove it from Illinois down I-70 through Colorado and by the time I got to Grand Junction, the new bearing was already making noise. 

Whatever the house brand is, it’s all they had in stock and I didn’t have time to wait for one of the other ones to be shipped. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/30/18 11:21 a.m.
impulsive said:

Chinese will take top dollar to make top quality and still turn out the lowest grade crap they can get away with. 

They put toxic chemicals in infant formula and sold to their own people. You think they give 2 E36 M3s about quality of export goods to yankee devil?

this is entirely incorrect and offensive.  Plenty of top quality suppliers in China doing excellent work. Source.. I work in aerospace.....

purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater Reader
10/30/18 11:31 a.m.

In reply to impulsive :

Greedy unscrupulous pigs are always a portion of humanity. It's not the Chinese who made Flint's water problem

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
10/30/18 11:32 a.m.
Curtis said:

100k for Chevy front wheel bearings is par for the course.  Poor design.

Bearings have taken a nose dive in quality over the years, but Chevy just under-engineered this part on the later trucks.

Speaking of poor design, they also designed the ABS system so that if a sensor fails, it shuts off the trailer brake system. That’s really awesome when you’re pulling a 10,000 lbs trailer like I am right now. Luckily I’m close to my destination and I’ll be trailer free after that. 

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/30/18 5:53 p.m.
stanger_missle said:

Whatever the house brand is, it’s all they had in stock and I didn’t have time to wait for one of the other ones to be shipped. 

I've only worked in automotive parts for a bit over a year, and while I don't have as much insight as say, a manufacturer, I have noticed a few things.

One; many parts from "quality" brands are made in China. Just because you buy from a trusted brand does not mean that part is made in the USA. Conversely, many "budget" parts, mainly filters, are made in the US. I've seen wiper blades made in Turkey, Korea and Italy, all from the same wiper manufacturer.

Two; many people think that buying from a "premium" brand means getting a better quality part. In some cases, that is true. But most of the time the "premium" part is the same as the "budget" part but the WARRANTY is longer. Yep, you are spending more money on the warranty, not the part.

Three; I have noticed that the warranty periods are different for the same part number depending on who you buy from. For example, I can sell a part that comes with a 1 year warranty or you can buy it from Rockauto and have a limited lifetime warranty.

Finally, just because you bought the most expensive part for your application doesn't mean that you won't have any issues with that part. Even the "best" brands suffer from defects.

I tell people to buy what they can afford. People won't put a $300 hub assembly on their $500 car but they will put an $80 one on. And that's fine.

You might of done everything right when you replaced your hub and it still failed. Stuff happens. I won't disagree that it sucks and it's aggravating though.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
10/31/18 8:41 p.m.

Well good news, it wasn’t the new bearing, the right one failed so bad that it was mimicking a left side bearing going bad. Replaced it and everything is good again. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/31/18 8:45 p.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid :

Huzzah!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aBlYZlVR1degSSmexoMd0Ak46bkueUhjWsE5C3oDB8cmYiVjvrHtTshVhJ1KWENs