Crackers
Crackers Reader
3/5/17 9:58 p.m.

I have a couple sets of used-to-was polished wheels I need to clean up. I'm utterly dreading doing them by hand hand again and I'm hoping someone here has some secret voodoo I can use.

I've used drill mounted buffing wheels in the past but they're only able to access a frustratingly small portion of the wheel, and Dremel's are too small and frustratingly slow.

I'm open to other options.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
3/6/17 6:47 a.m.

No magic potion, once polished though you can use something like sharkhide to protect it for up to a year. That's the stuff pontoon and airstream owners use so it's pricey but actually works.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
3/6/17 7:23 a.m.

Cone buffs might reach into nooks a little further. These are Eastwood.

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
7/1/17 5:52 p.m.

So to follow up on this...

I have found a magic bullet for removing oxides from aluminum wheels.

Phosphoric acid AKA Ospho rust converter.

I had accidentally sprayed some on a aluminum heat shield on Sheila and it removed all the oxides quite efficiently. So I sprayed the previously mentioned wheels in some and it worked fantastically!

Only word of warning is lay it down heavy, and wipe/scrub the whole wheel down or you'll get spots. This can be remedied by spraying on more though, so it's not a big deal, but it did make me panic for a moment.

They still needed to be gone over with a polishing compound, but it went really quick since all the oxides were gone already.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/1/17 7:44 p.m.

This stuff?

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
7/1/17 9:26 p.m.

Yup, that stuff. Although, I used "Rust Kutter" (or some such misguided spelling) from Tractor Supply, but it works the same. (At least on steel anyway.)

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
7/1/17 9:33 p.m.

Oh, and FYI: Mother's Mag Wheel Polish only works about a million times better in this application than the Turtle Wax polishing compound.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/1/17 9:41 p.m.

I love Mother's Mag Wheel polish, works better at removing brake dust crud than anything else I have tried.

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
7/1/17 9:44 p.m.

That Eagle One treated batting is quite awesome for that too, but it doesn't cut through heavy oxidation as well.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
7/1/17 11:05 p.m.

Once cleaned with the Mothers use a non ammonia based glass cleaner to remove the remaining residue of the Mothers polish or the chemicals remain and cause the brilliance to fade quicker. After the glass cleaner then apply wax, or other protectant.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fQWSr81pip7WtyuCd0F8LV0xfHeWw7nXBHhw7s0s5sjgQPdvnKVI4nEveLKzSV7K