1 2
ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
1/31/18 1:54 p.m.

Ok, what about 15x9 or 15x10, 4x114.3, offset 20-40?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
1/31/18 2:18 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

What's the budget?  JNC wheels if you're cheap and willing to try a less reputable company.

If willing to spend more: Ultralite UL10 

More than that? Work, Volk, SSR, Compomotive, Braid, lots of expensive options

EDIT: Aero 55 Series if price is more important than weight

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
1/31/18 2:37 p.m.

Its hard to beat the OEM's at their own game. Figure at least three times to the cost of a replacement ORM to do better then they did. 

Unless you want ugly and wide, then you call Kodiak.   

You want pretty and wide you call HRE.   

You want extra wide and extra light and crazy $$$$$ you go BBS.   

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
1/31/18 2:44 p.m.

Outside of TR I've been impressed (almost bought many times) from Good-Win racing's site.  They had a nice selection of affordable flow formed stuff.

Good-Win Wheels

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/31/18 2:46 p.m.

I had a set of rota dpts on my ms3. They were one of three sets I could find in the (then) oddball size 17x9+42. They were the only one that was less than a 3 month mortgage payment. I slammed a curb pretty hard once, and they took the hit. No problems since. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/31/18 2:47 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

What bolt pattern you want? I generally cheat and pretend I own either a Subaru or an e.g. hatch to get what I want. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/31/18 2:50 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

Its hard to beat the OEM's at their own game. Figure at least three times to the cost of a replacement ORM to do better then they did. 

What BBS? Most don't seem to be that light compared to competitors (maybe motorsports stuff we can't get?)

They don't do that many custom options, from what I've seen, and in general, 3 piece wheels wheels are heavier.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/31/18 3:15 p.m.

For the reasons mentioned I like finding used OE wheels in the size/offset/look that I want but it's not easy. It would be cool if there were a master cross reference somewhere for critical dimensions on OE wheels.  

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
1/31/18 5:12 p.m.
z31maniac said:
wearymicrobe said:

What BBS? Most don't seem to be that light compared to competitors (maybe motorsports stuff we can't get?)

They don't do that many custom options, from what I've seen, and in general, 3 piece wheels wheels are heavier.

They have some astonishing offerings if you are willing to pay and willing to deal with the order time. ~18 weeks on average for something as long as it is not custom barreled.  

I have a set of E16 17' faces bolted to custom 19x15 barrels, that have face adapters that they made in magnesium as a one off. ~20lb's. for a race ready 19x15 that will fit over a 17.0 inch rotor to me is drop dead fantastic. The price was astronomical though. Like 20K+ to build the set but they are bomb proof I have hit things in them that would destroy a normal wheel. In fact one took a direct hit form a Lexus going about 20 mph and other then a bent lip kept right on ticking. 

If it was my money never in a million years would I have spent it. I would have called Kodiak and been done with it. 

Now on the GRM side of things its hard to go wrongw with things like the RPF1s on a lighter smaller car. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/31/18 5:40 p.m.

^HOLY CHEESUS!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
1/31/18 6:28 p.m.
z31maniac said:

^HOLY CHEESUS!

This is the story that I was told. I have seen the order sheet somewhere but I think it was 4.8K a wheel with the custom barrels and then there was the custom painting on top of that and then the shipping. The wheels were used on the car when it was shown at SEMA so it is a little bit nutter.

Someone on stanceworks knows the full story as he ordered them up but they wer emade to emulate the Gen II ACR BBS wheels and they made two complete sets. Both are 19x15 (The measure 14.7) for the rears and a I 18x11.5 for the fronts. They are stamped BBS with a serial number and the barrels are marked custom on the inside in Japanese.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/31/18 8:47 p.m.

Those were for the green snake, right? 

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
1/31/18 11:16 p.m.

I wish I had more wheel shopping options. There is only one OEM wheel that fits our car and is a substantial upgrade. However, CLK lightweights are killer wheels, they are light and they fit. I wish they were 17x8 not 16x7 but beggars can't be choosers.

te72
te72 New Reader
1/31/18 11:46 p.m.
Trackmouse said:

In reply to te72 :

So, how have they faired for auto sport use? This is where the rumors, horror stories, and the “buy name brand” stories foment. 

Only have about 6000 miles on them so far, and only two autocrosses. They've held up just fine, but I'm one of those weirdos that likes a few inches of stiff sidewall on their tires, so whatever road imperfections I've run over haven't caused any issue. I try to avoid damaging the wheels where possible.

No funny vibrations, balance issues, tires slipping on the bead, nothing of the sort to report. They're a ten spoke wheel, so the load is pretty nicely spread out as far as the design is concerned.

When the car gets its widebody makeover in a couple years, it will likely be getting a set of SSR's to complete the look. However, the XXR's suited the "I need something round that I can attach a tire to" need that fit the budget at the time. I'm not disappointed in any way.

te72
te72 New Reader
1/31/18 11:53 p.m.
WildScotsRacingCampbellCougarSeed said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what the bolt patterns are for TR motorsports wheels. There are several in five lug (in the pictures anyway) but I can't find the numbers. I know TR wants me to shop by vehichicle, but sometimes I want to look at wheels "off label" if you will. 

My understanding is that TR got tired of dealing with returns/exchanges from people selecting wheels and not knowing wtf they're doing doing. And naturally blaming TR for it. I can understand why they took the no-vehicle wheel shopping away.

I can understand that they generally deal with people who aren't especially well versed in wheel fitment for their application, but this is frustrating that they won't show you offsets and sizes available for a particular wheel, or let you select a range of fitment options and show you wheels that fall within those specs. It's why I won't bother buying wheels from them anymore.

I know my car, very well, I know what fits (and have the micrometer to prove it!), and if in the event I miscalculate (I have done this once, even recently), I know how to make it work. Would be nice if they had a button to click before showing you ALL the wheels that says something to the effect of, "we can't confirm that the wheels you pick out will fit your application, so if you screw up, it's on you," and they could charge a restocking fee if necessary, or just deny returns entirely for folks like me.

PT_SHO
PT_SHO New Reader
2/2/18 1:43 p.m.

In reply to Austincrx :

I'll second that.  First set of Team Dynamics (they're big in Miata-land but they made a wheel with correct bolts and offset for my SHO) had been powder coated by the previous owner.  I can't swear that was what made them crack but research showed that the temperatures used may have ill effects on strength.  D'oh!  The next set of TD's worked fine for a couple of years of autocross.

As far as light, my Subaru has older Kosei wheels in 17" that are nearly as light as the best and were way cheaper.  And a nice touch is double valve stems so I can see a real pressure while the compressor is working!  If I have to change to 18's, which seems required by the best autocross tire (RE71R currently) not being available in the right size in 17's, then I'll have to downgrade to 18's (heavier rotating mass  cheeky).  Probably Enkei RPF1.

PT_SHO
PT_SHO New Reader
2/2/18 1:48 p.m.

In reply to te72 :

<.. Would be nice if they had a button to click before showing you ALL the wheels that says something to the effect of, "we can't confirm that the wheels you pick out will fit your application, so if you screw up, it's on you," and they could charge a restocking fee if necessary, or just deny returns entirely for folks like me. >

Well, you can't even mount then and have them be return-able.  So "deny returns" seems like their path.  I think they said that if you call and speak to a rep that they can see all available choices.  I have had their reps call me after ordering bigger than stock autocross tires from the online portal, just confirming that is what I want because it isn't in their "list" of approved sizes for the STI, but they didn't have a problem with selling me the tires after they confirmed it.

te72
te72 New Reader
2/6/18 12:37 a.m.

In reply to PT_SHO :

I was just suggesting that their website is far from enthusiast friendly, so I quit shopping there. Show me a spec list and let me figure it out, or at least give me the option. I'm not one to sit on a phone with a sales rep for an hour or two trying to figure out the math, that's really not a very polite use of their time, I'd think... plus, I'm rarely shopping at normal business hours for any business in this country haha!  =)

QuikMcshifterson
QuikMcshifterson New Reader
6/28/23 6:46 p.m.
Austincrx said:

Also, don't powder-coat your aluminum wheels, or you'll know a lot about stress fractures very soon.

Clue me in here, why is powdercoating aluminum bad?

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/23/23 2:55 p.m.

In reply to QuikMcshifterson :

It's a five-year-old thread, so not sure you'll get a direct response, but you can see PT_SHO's reply indicating that there may be overlap between the temps used to cure powder coating and temps that start having an effect on the heat treatment of the wheel.

I don't know, but it shouldn't be too hard to dig up some numbers for each process.

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/24/23 2:55 p.m.

As long as this thread is back from the dead... While I'll probably never buy any Ray's wheels... After seeing this I definitely have a newfound respect for them and understand the price:

madmrak351
madmrak351 Reader
9/24/23 3:59 p.m.

In reply to flatlander937 :

Thanks! That is impressive. I understand why Nissan/Infiniti uses them on some of their performance models.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qy0wM3uwsIOPXxitzfRxAAEcVAS0DKkgEKje9gX9YXxb4ri40LbFxYl26wivziqV