1 2 3 ... 5
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/13 12:23 p.m.

Welcome to the first episode of Wheeler Dealers USA, where your host Mike will buy, fix, and flip a scruffy classic for fun and profit!

This month's episode features a hot Swede from the days of high-pressure turbochargers, a 1990 C900 Turbo!

We found this gem on the craigslist a mere 4 miles from the shop with what was described as a bad head gasket, asking price: $500

After consulting with our mates we looked at the car and discovered it probably had a massive vacuum leak.

A deal was struck and we brought the old girl home for the princely sum of just $350 squids!

We got her back to the shop by just driving. Initial diagnosis seems spot-on, there's a vacuum leak or a timing issue, but once you build RPM's (and boost), it runs awesome! (Seriously, this thing hauls the mail. I've never had a stock 80's turbo car, and I've had nearly all of them, pull like this. Not even F2T's...)

The engine is the venerable B202 16 Valve 2.1L turbo 4-cylinder. Notice that it's mounted "backwards" in the engine bay. The pulleys are by the windshield and the clutch is by the headlights. The transaxle sits under the motor. It's had the head totally rebuilt in 2009, but less than 1000 miles ago.

The interior is the weakest part. The driver's seat is split, the headliner is missing, and it's pretty grungy.

The paint, however, looks entirely saveable.

Follow along as we repair the mechanical issues, polish up the cosmetic ones, and get this old girl back on the road and with a new owner. Target date: September 21!

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
9/10/13 12:54 p.m.

Awesome grab, Jav, but you need more cheeky, regional words in your post to be like that other Mike and Ed

Javelin
9/10/13 1:15 p.m.

In reply to Strike_Zero:

My cheeky regional words would be things like "granola", "tree-hugger", "tofu", and "environmentally conscious".

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/10/13 1:18 p.m.

A mop will fix that paint right up. Overall, it's in good nick, but it's let down by that interior. I'm sure Mike has a connection at a local breaker's yard to take care of that.

One question, when you agreed to a price to buy it, did you ask the seller to put his/her hand out?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
9/10/13 1:18 p.m.

Remember, they never factor in any pay for all the work that Edd China does!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/10/13 1:25 p.m.

Missing headliner is almost normal on these, for some reason both the 99 and 900 suffer from "the sky is falling" syndrome.

Javelin
9/10/13 1:34 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler:

I did! I should have gotten it on video!

Javelin
9/10/13 1:35 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

I know that. I also never factor in my own time. That's why it's a side job and not my 9-to-5.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
9/10/13 2:26 p.m.

Damn, look out your window to the East.

Look harder, do you seen a green looking Englishman waving at you (or is he giving you the bird?) from SE Michigan. That's me, I'm green with envy. I paid double that and was more than happy with the price. You got a screaming deal. My headliner is currently in the basement having been stripped, epoxied and fiberglassed back into shape waiting for the application of some tartan material before going back in.

Nice score, just work faster than me.

Javelin wrote: A deal was struck and we brought the old girl home for the princely sum of just $350 squids!

Actualy in squids it was only 223 GBP!

Javelin
9/10/13 2:29 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

I should mention that it drives fine. The PO was basically a kludge. My shopping list includes a spool of vacuum hose and auto wiring.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/10/13 3:47 p.m.

So what is the asking price and how much am I going to beat you down on it

And if you want payment in squid I can arrange that as well.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
9/10/13 3:50 p.m.

How much do you want for it? Never mind that I'm in PA, I've got people in the PNW.

Can we get a rust report?

Javelin
9/10/13 3:56 p.m.

In reply to HappyAndy:

I don't know yet. Give me a chance to make sure the motor is A-OK. It will definitely be offered on a GRM discount.

It has 0 rust. None, nada, zippo.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
9/10/13 4:29 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: A mop will fix that paint right up. Overall, it's in good nick, but it's let down by that interior. I'm sure Mike has a connection at a local breaker's yard to take care of that.

That works!!

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
9/10/13 4:36 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to Tom_Spangler: I did! I should have gotten it on video!

"I just bought . . . a Saab 900 Turbo!!"

Other than getting it running right and cleaned up?

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
9/10/13 6:11 p.m.

I wrenched on those a dozen years ago...

good luck on the headliner... not easy... not cheap big PITA to get a new one up there...

since the head was "done"... I'd check everything to do with that repair - cam and ignition timing, vacuum connections, etc.

IF there is to be any rust in that car it will be in the lower front frame channels - the sections where the axles pass through. The collect crap, and hold water.... but this isn't the right coast so you may be free and clear

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/10/13 7:23 p.m.

Awesome.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
9/10/13 7:30 p.m.

I always thought the term was quid.

Cuda
Cuda Reader
9/10/13 7:35 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: I always thought the term was quid.

Rhyming Slang

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/13 8:09 p.m.

shouldn't that car have a 2.0? the 2.1 was naturally aspirated

CyberEric
CyberEric New Reader
9/10/13 8:56 p.m.

Wow, cool project, always wanted one of those but was scared away by the transmissions and general cost of upkeep/repair.

t25torx
t25torx Reader
9/10/13 9:06 p.m.

Be sure to give it a good key before painting anything.

p.s. I read it all in Mikes voice in my head.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
9/10/13 11:38 p.m.

How's the wife feel about it? (ducks.)

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
9/11/13 4:03 a.m.

Also, be sure to completely refurbish the wheels, but use the old, rusty lug nuts.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
9/11/13 4:29 a.m.
Cuda wrote:
Mazdax605 wrote: I always thought the term was quid.
Rhyming Slang

Thanks for the link, but they clearly say quid on the tv show.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dyjRvHX0UsxggBsFYvdKFx575AT0qrWoPGjtbstU93wyCtswwE35BjAxP4RtblSG