paul
paul Reader
8/24/11 7:32 p.m.

Looking to get a 2nd set of rims for my 05 civic si, stock size is 17x7, 45 offset.

Not including the issues of the wheel/tire contacting suspension parts & fenders, would a 40 or 35 offset be detrimental to handling physics etc?

Keith
Keith SuperDork
8/24/11 7:35 p.m.

Scrub radius is what you're interested in here. I think you'll pick up more torque steer by moving the offset, although I'm not sure 5-10mm is going to be enough to cause a problem on a reasonably well designed car.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
8/24/11 8:17 p.m.

In my experience, going from a stock offset to 13 mm more positive and one inch wider wheel width increased tramlining and, to a lesser extent, torque steer. Not a deal-breaker, though. With another set of wheels, going from stock to 7 mm more positive and 1/2 inch wider made no perceptible difference. YMMV...

paul
paul Reader
8/24/11 8:22 p.m.

Awesome, thanks for the info guys!...

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
8/25/11 12:00 a.m.
paul wrote: Looking to get a 2nd set of rims for my 05 civic si, stock size is 17x7, 45 offset. Not including the issues of the wheel/tire contacting suspension parts & fenders, would a 40 or 35 offset be detrimental to handling physics etc?

You sure you mean '05? Or are you in Europe? 05' was the last year for the EP3 Si in NA and had 16x6.5, 45 offset.

I asked a very similar question about 2 years ago when I first considered adding more track width. I searched but couldn't find it, don't know why. Maybe it's in the archives? Basically a few Honda racers said the benefits (for handling) would likely offset the scrub radius concerns. I believe we were talking about 20mm. wider.

Is there a way to get into my archive threads?

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Dork
8/25/11 12:36 a.m.

It does matter, but I know a world of autocrossers who stuff the biggest tire they can possibly find on as wide a wheel as they can find and go plenty fast. We're talking about scrub radius changes measured in inches. So, can't imagine 10mm will make a load of difference on the street. You could try to figure what your scrub radius is now. No guarantee that 10mm won't make it better.

Shoot, there's an online article that explains this all really well, but I think it's bookmarked on my work computer. I'll try to find it tomorrow. Of course, I saw it here.

paul
paul Reader
8/27/11 6:09 a.m.
Hasbro wrote:
paul wrote: Looking to get a 2nd set of rims for my 05 civic si, stock size is 17x7, 45 offset. Not including the issues of the wheel/tire contacting suspension parts & fenders, would a 40 or 35 offset be detrimental to handling physics etc?

You sure you mean '05? Or are you in Europe? 05' was the last year for the EP3 Si in NA and had 16x6.5, 45 offset.

I asked a very similar question about 2 years ago when I first considered adding more track width. I searched but couldn't find it, don't know why. Maybe it's in the archives? Basically a few Honda racers said the benefits (for handling) would likely offset the scrub radius concerns. I believe we were talking about 20mm. wider.

Is there a way to get into my archive threads?

I have the optional honda hfp rims which are 17x7.

Would you happen to know our center bore size?

Our Preferred Partners
oN6KYlmhpHaI0YGv0SHrWH8YIbp7qqAHBrb0dJYjwY8J8Js38VVbUU8zKMgjYHfF