1 2
G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
12/14/15 8:19 p.m.

So I went to check out a Dodge SX 2.0 today (Neon in America). Cosmetically and fundamentally, it was pretty solid. No leaks, no rust, good suspension and steering. There are, however, a few issues. Firstly, its oil pump is on the way out. Secondly, it fuel starves up steep hills. It needs a new coil, and there is noticeable amounts of gear whine. The car is listed for $2250, and the parts cost $450 or so. Should I shoot the guy an offer for $1800 and see what happens? It only has 70,000 miles of commuting on it.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
12/14/15 8:29 p.m.

You can walk now and have $1800 in your wallet, or walk later when the car leaves you stuck on the side of the road. The only advantage will be you wont have all that cash in your wallet, so walking should be easier.

Sounds like a lot of issues for a car with that low of miles to me.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
12/14/15 8:33 p.m.
T.J. wrote: You can walk now and have $1800 in your wallet, or walk later when the car leaves you stuck on the side of the road. The only advantage will be you wont have all that cash in your wallet, so walking should be easier. Sounds like a lot of issues for a car with that low of miles to me.

This is very true. However, I can't get anything better than it for the money because of the limited market where I live for a manual anything. Even if I spent $500 more, I'd still end up with a car in similar condition. So basically I'm stuck either with this car, or with paying $500 more later on for a similar condition car.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/14/15 8:34 p.m.

Gear whine? Oil pump on the way out?

I've a feeling that the odometer may have 70k but the rest of the car doesn't. Or those were very hard miles.

Or maybe, is it an imperial cluster or are you converting from kilometers? Maybe it's not 120k kms, but 1120k!

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/14/15 8:35 p.m.

For 1800 I'd fly and drive for something better, like a manual Volvo 240 from the Raleigh NC area

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/14/15 8:35 p.m.

don't walk away...RUN! Sounds like its needs and engine and trans very soon. Sometimes it's better to buy a clean automatic car and do a trans swap.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
12/14/15 8:37 p.m.

You're about to over bid son. Stop while you're ahead.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
12/14/15 8:37 p.m.

I would not limit myself to a manual transmission if this car is needed for your basic transportation. Get something you can afford and that will be reliable. Fun, looks, sportiness, etc. should not really factor in to the buying decision so much if this is your only mode of transportation. How about a truck?

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
12/14/15 8:39 p.m.
T.J. wrote: I would not limit myself to a manual transmission if this car is needed for your basic transportation. Get something you can afford and that will be reliable. Fun, looks, sportiness, etc. should not really factor in to the buying decision so much if this is your only mode of transportation. How about a truck?

I would love a small truck, but I need something with decent gas mileage. It doesn't help that trucks command stupid amounts of money where I live

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
12/14/15 10:43 p.m.

Some people buy used car's, some people buy used up car's. That one sounds used up.

BTW: Oil pump on the way out translate to engine replacement, keep looking.

Paul B

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/14/15 11:00 p.m.
G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
12/14/15 11:02 p.m.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll run like my life depended on it.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/14/15 11:40 p.m.

Yeah, listed at $2250 I'd say it's about $2500 too high.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar PowerDork
12/15/15 7:50 a.m.

That much money ought to buy one hell of a nice Saturn S-series.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Reader
12/15/15 8:07 a.m.

Hmmm, 70,000 miles of daily commuting, my a$$...

MCarp22
MCarp22 Dork
12/15/15 8:10 a.m.

You could fly & drive my $1200 neon here in TN for cheaper than that, even with the exchange rates.

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
12/15/15 8:11 a.m.

An oil pump is two permanently submerged gears in a case. If it's worn out, what else won't be?

I'd fly to Dallas, buy a car, drive it home, and take the road trip money out of your budget.

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
12/15/15 8:12 a.m.

Plenty of good rust free cars in Oregon. Buy a bus ticket.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
12/15/15 8:40 a.m.

Seems more likely the oil pressure sender is bad? Still seems way overpriced though.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
12/15/15 8:50 a.m.

agreed with everyone.

if your market is limited, spend a weekend travelling somewhere and drive one home.

I've gone over 750 miles away for sub $2500 cars to get something rust free/manual/exactly what I wanted. Still cheaper than the eventual problems you'd face buying local/rusted/worn out.

It's a big world out there. Don't limit your view.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
12/15/15 8:54 a.m.

There's no good reason to be looking at one of those cars, especially at that price.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
12/15/15 9:41 a.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: I would love a small truck, but I need something with decent gas mileage. It doesn't help that trucks command stupid amounts of money where I live

Yes, trucks are expensive here. WAY over-priced. Want to make some money? Bring trucks up from Vancouver and flip them here. Especially Toyotas. People pay stupid money for those here.

Having driven a Nissan Hardbody for years (if you're around UBC-O and see a slammed dark blue one with a canopy and 4wd fenders, that used to be mine - sold it to a student), the fuel economy isn't all that much better than a full size late 90's Chevy.

And with the Chevy, parts are hella cheap, plentiful, and it actually has power and hauling capacity.

Seriously.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
12/15/15 10:07 a.m.

I usually rely on these signs:

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/15/15 11:48 a.m.

If you're within a 2-hour drive of a regional airport, I strongly urge you to consider a fly-n-drive as others have suggested. In 1999, I flew from Philadelphia to Atlanta (twice!) to buy a 4-year-old '95 Neon because it was exactly the car I wanted. It was worth every minute / $.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
12/15/15 12:22 p.m.

Flying within Canada is obscenely expensive, and I'm not prepared to do a 10 hour round trip to look at Neons. One just came up in Vernon, and a 2 hour round trip is more justifiable. Failing that, I'll be playing the waiting game.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lyOoNorkchCXhXhiBIvJ4mpFx7t6Tq1j2ZiIXs2fIr8aYxXdoLiReYcRO0vUMcbD