Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
1/13/11 8:28 a.m.

I am going to do you all a favor and link this here. Clear an hour - it's awesome.

When When Motor Racing Was Dangerous and Sex Was Safe

DavidinDurango
DavidinDurango New Reader
1/13/11 8:47 a.m.

was that before, or after, "when tires were skinny and drivers were fat?"

jlm_photo
jlm_photo Reader
1/13/11 8:59 a.m.
DavidinDurango wrote: was that before, or after, "when tires were skinny and drivers were fat?"

I nearly spit my coffee on the screen. Flippin funny!

1/13/11 9:53 a.m.

In reply to DavidinDurango:

Not too many chubby folks in that flick.

emodspitfire
emodspitfire New Reader
1/13/11 11:32 a.m.

Great !

Who woulda guessed that James Hunt was hired to sell Chevettes...?

Rog

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Reader
1/14/11 1:36 a.m.

Very interesting stuff. F1 footage was great. Rest of it was thought-provoking.

David

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
1/14/11 9:19 a.m.

I loved it...nice find!

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 Reader
1/14/11 9:53 a.m.

That was excellent

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
1/14/11 12:40 p.m.

Very good.

I found the comment about how safety advances are bad for racing interesting. You can see how when safety is low you will have the "on the edge" types able to pull ahead of the other, with an obvious potential cost, makes for very dramatic racing.

I could definitely see how this story could be made into a very good movie (if done right). It has all the elements, one of those movies that doesn't need to have a "message", just a story of two guys who lived in their time.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/11 1:09 p.m.

Thanks for these videos. BEtween this and the GTP thread I may never get my garage dug out

I don't remember much before it started to change

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
1/14/11 2:42 p.m.

I love all the cigarette smoking by everyone. Classic.

Those were the days..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAExoSozc2c

red5_02
red5_02 New Reader
1/14/11 8:53 p.m.

Wow lots of old school stuff on GRM this week. Awesome find. Gotta agree with everyone in the flick to some degree. People deserve to have their privacy but you also can't show yourself to be one way to the public and then live differently.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/14/11 9:30 p.m.

Thanks for the link! I was following motorcycle racing in my teens, Barry Sheene won the 500 World Championship the year I graduated from high school. Motorcycle racers were my heroes. I remember Joel Robert, Gerrit Wolsink, Marty Smith, Roger DeCoster.... Joel Robert was the reigning 250 MX world champ and he was NOT PC in any way, he was a notorious party animal. At one race, he decided to pull a stunt: he had his mechanic push his bike to the start line. Robert followed a few minutes later, swigging from a bourbon bottle which had been emptied and filled with tea. This got the race promoters all wound up, it took quite a while for him to convince them it was all a joke and he wasn't really drunk.

You know what's weird? Sports figures now are expected to be squeaky clean, singers etc are expected to be booty hounds or sluts. It was pretty much the other way around back then.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
1/14/11 10:36 p.m.

I don't know ANYTHING about motorcycle racing, but some of those accidents looked like not so much fun.

That video was sensational.

The Hunt quote to the brit media on the telephone from Japan was great "I'm going to get drunk!"

I think two or three years ago, after a win, Tony Stewart made mention that his next few weeks off, he and a few friends would be venturing on a journey to find the cardboard at the bottom of a 30 pack. NASCAR fined him and made him formally apologize. WTF?

Auto ADD
Auto ADD Dork
1/14/11 10:49 p.m.

It is a shame that most of the sports stars today have been scrubbed clean of anything resembling a personality.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
1/14/11 10:50 p.m.

GPS, thanks for an awesome find!

In the early and mid-70's I hadn't yet discovered motorcycle racing, but I was consumed by a love for road racing, F1 in particular. Hunt was a favorite and I had the pleasure and privilege of seeing him race at the USGP on three occasions.

Sheene obviously had a personality much like Hunt's; they both loved their lives and lived them to the fullest. It seemed so natural that they were compatriots off the track.

Thanks again for a wonderful, nostalgic trip to times when life was celebrated with few restraints!

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
1/15/11 12:31 a.m.
Wally wrote: Thanks for these videos. BEtween this and the GTP thread I may never get my garage dug out I don't remember much before it started to change

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ-eaTa8um4

EDIT: GPS, thanks for the link. Great, great, great stuff!

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette HalfDork
1/15/11 2:17 a.m.

cool find

car39
car39 Reader
1/15/11 10:57 a.m.

Damn this link, it cost me $30 for the James Hunt biography!

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
1/15/11 11:18 a.m.

Yeah, I think I am going to have to get "Shunt" soon. I have about 20 other books I need to read first.

1/15/11 2:06 p.m.

Wife just said she had to go to Borders for a gift for a friend. If its on the shelf in the bio section... I'll be out the $30 too.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
1/15/11 2:43 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Wife just said she had to go to Borders for a gift for a friend. If its on the shelf in the bio section... I'll be out the $30 too.

Doubtful. Stuff like that you have to get from places like Amazon or specialty book dealers.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
1/16/11 12:03 a.m.
red5_02 wrote: Wow lots of old school stuff on GRM this week.

Eh, it's the off-season. This is what we do.

red5_02 wrote: Awesome find. Gotta agree with everyone in the flick to some degree. People deserve to have their privacy but you also can't show yourself to be one way to the public and then live differently.

I just miss the days when the pros could be themselves in front of the public without worrying about losing their ride.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6OTIk61OnkNKNp9vsPRnUq6djzXjczE9ViYxGbF5zSD16ldpIyNIzLN3GjqOUyZI