1 2
DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
7/21/20 4:55 p.m.

I recently came across a car that I spent countless hours and money on with my dad that is for sale again. It's a pretty unique 2000 Trans Am that when I bought it....it was in terrible condition. The guy I bought it from ran over a stop sign which fubared a lot of the car. We wen through it completely from the interior, to the paint, and upgraded the cam, the suspension, brakes, transmission, etc. 

I'm on the fence about trying to buy it back. On one hand I would revel in all of the nostalgia and on the other it really doesn't fit any of my needs. I regretted selling it the second I handed over the title. I was between a rock and a hard place when I listed it for sale. Baby #1 was on the way, I was in between jobs, and I needed to liquidate my assets to get back on the right foot. 

Some of you may remember this thing. I'm pretty sure it was featured in one of the magazines as "Reader's Ride of the Month" when it was still painted black with bass boat blue flake in the clear. 

My best friend of the last 20+ years said if I don't buy it, he will -- and he'd offer to hold on to it until I do eventually buy it. I might take him up on that...in 10 years. 

I found one of mine in LKQ. I was a little sad about that. Not sad enough to actually try to buy it though. 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/21/20 5:12 p.m.

You want me to link the build thread? I bought mine back. It was fubar. Thousands of hours later its not.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
7/21/20 5:22 p.m.

It didn't fit your life then and it doesn't fit now....................run away.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/21/20 5:31 p.m.

Don't do it, it'll never be the same.  

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/21/20 5:32 p.m.

Let your friend buy it.  Drive it around when you want.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/21/20 5:39 p.m.

Wow, not what I expected from this bunch of enablers.

Makes sense to listen to them, since the consensus is so clear.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
7/21/20 5:45 p.m.

I would contact the seller and go see the car. Take it for a drive. You will know if the magic hits you or not. 

If the magic does not hit you then thank the seller by being available to answer questions or the questions of potential buyers. 

7/21/20 5:46 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

Don't do it, it'll never be the same.  

Is this car buying advice or relationship re-tap advice? 

Probably the same either way. 

7/21/20 5:47 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Let your friend buy it.  Drive it around when you want.

Good plan! 

Much more complex if this too is relationship advice. devil

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/21/20 6:06 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

Wow, not what I expected from this bunch of enablers.

Makes sense to listen to them, since the consensus is so clear.

Been there done that.  Nostalgia's a bitch.

Error404
Error404 Reader
7/21/20 6:38 p.m.

What is your gut saying?

Nostalgia can be a bitch but maybe you can get the band back together.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/21/20 6:40 p.m.
Error404 said:

What is your gut saying?

Agreed. When I read the thread title, my gut said BUY IT!!!!!!!

Error404
Error404 Reader
7/21/20 7:20 p.m.
poopshovel again said:
Error404 said:

What is your gut saying?

No Dirtybird for 3 1/2 hours, presumablly he is off doing burnouts in his recently repurchased sick Trans Am and seriously considering regrowing the ole mullet.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
7/21/20 8:34 p.m.

Go drive it.  If you want it, buy it!  Worst case, you enjoy it for a year then sell it on.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/21/20 8:51 p.m.

Been there done that. 9/10 times it's a terrible idea. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
7/21/20 8:57 p.m.

I view it as hooking up with an old GF. Do you really want a full time commitment or just visit once in a while for old times sake. 

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/21/20 9:44 p.m.

I test drove my '92 Mustang GT when it went up for sale by the guy I sold it to. I liked it, but it wasn't the same. And over time you forget all of the little things that needed fixing, but when you see and drive it, your memory comes back. The idea of having your old car back is usually far better than the reality of it...

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
7/21/20 9:46 p.m.

I sold a car that I built from scratch about 15 years ago.  I received a phone call from the family of the man that purchased it late last fall.  For health reasons he wasn't able to drive it anymore. They offered it back to me at a price that I couldn't refuse.  It's one of my favorite builds.  It's nice to have it back in my garage.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/21/20 9:50 p.m.
jmc14 said:

I sold a car that I built from scratch about 15 years ago.  I received a phone call from the family of the man that purchased it late last fall.  For health reasons he wasn't able to drive it anymore. They offered it back to me at a price that I couldn't refuse.  It's one of my favorite builds.  It's nice to have it back in my garage.

Well, I've never even sat in anything like that, unless the one time I drove the world's fastest production car...from the year 1953.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/21/20 10:49 p.m.
fasted58 said:

I view it as hooking up with an old GF. Do you really want a full time commitment or just visit once in a while for old times sake. 

ahahaha!!!

When teh S60R decided to digest its transmission and EvanB graciously allowed me to trailer its immobileness to his place and then borrow one of his cars, he offered me the S40, which I'd sold to him after owning for three years.

I declined, noting that it would be like dating an ex-wife and would be all kinds of awkward.  That's why I ended up spending most of the summer driving the Fujiwara Tofu Montero.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/20 12:28 a.m.
fasted58 said:

Came here to say this.

My GF evolution is much like my car evolution.  I have a car for awhile until it doesn't suit my needs, then I get something else.  Going back to a previous girlfriend is like going back to my 1983 Chevy Celebrity.  Sure, lots of memories and nostalgia, but compared to some of the cars I've had since, it would be a let down.

Plus, I'm not sure who has berkeleyed it since I last did.  The car.  Not the GF.

Daeldalus
Daeldalus Reader
7/22/20 7:10 a.m.

I saw my old RX-7 for sale about 4 years after i sold it. It had been in a minor front end accident but then the owner had sold off the engine and trans, all the turbo II interior I put in it, the front and rear bumpers, and the spoiler. it was a sad state to see it in. I had very little desire to get it back even as cheap as it was.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/22/20 8:45 a.m.

If you miss it, you liked it when you had it, and you want another one like it, go for it. However, if you are buying it because you feel like you need to "rescue" it from some awful fate, don't do it. Don't let emotion get in the way.

I sold my Project CSX a few years back after years trying to piece it back together from complete disarray. Twice, I was offered that car back. The friend that I sold it to passed away, and his family offered it back to me for what I sold it for. I ended up helping them and a friend who was handling his estate sell it for more. After that, the guy who bought it put it up for sale. I was approached again about buying it back, but I passed again. I have no regrets.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
7/22/20 9:57 a.m.
Error404 said:
poopshovel again said:
Error404 said:

What is your gut saying?

No Dirtybird for 3 1/2 hours, presumablly he is off doing burnouts in his recently repurchased sick Trans Am and seriously considering regrowing the ole mullet.

Hahaha I'm on the opposite side of the country from the car at the moment. I would need a proxy to go check it out and buy it for me. I'm trying to egg on my best friend to just buy it since he's been itching for an F-body lately. 

I started recounting all of the negative things about the car, how much money I had already sunk into it, and the good times I had with it. It's probably best to just let it go. I've got an S2000 project that I've been working on with my kids and that's an opportunity for new memories to be made. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cFS8f0DrsfFkBGYddBOeZvWBcr72c3KSluAVxlmtFSNOlRVgrXAIixyL9eNP6Wz5