1 2 3 4 ... 6
Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
12/8/16 8:02 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

Yeah I'd be unreasonably happy if even a 6.4 Hemi (even the truck version from the 1 tons, maybe even preferably that one) powered Ram with the 3.92 gear and the 8 speed existed with a warranty.

Actually, Tthe Hellcat Ram was joke that I wanted to simply exist, this 410hp long bed 2wd half ton is a thing I think I actually want.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/8/16 8:06 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
chandlerGTi wrote: It's nearly impossible to get them to hook up, my dakota rt was silly and every full size truck with any power I've owned was the same way. You can order what you are looking for if you find a dealer interested. Reg cab, short box, big engine. Enjoy.
But that's the thing, you can't. None of the truck manufacturers will sell their lightest truck with the big motor. And by big motor I mean the biggest truck motor, which isn't the 'big' motor from any of them. Nobody will even let me build my own factory muscle truck.

I just spent the past hour pissing around on the Big 3's configurator thingys. In regular cab/short bed/basic trim/2wd configurations it looks like you can get the 5.3 from Chevy, the 5.7 Hemi from Dodge (sorry "RAM"), and the 5.0 from Ford. Any of those motors is bolt ons away from double the horsepower of a 454SS, although torque is a different story.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
12/8/16 8:12 p.m.

I stand corrected, and thank you. I went through all three configurators in the spring and all of them forced me into either a long bed or an extended cab to get the V8.
Time to go virtually build some trucks!

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/8/16 8:39 p.m.

Dodge will let you get a 390hp Hemi in a regular cab short bed 2wd pickup, and you actually see quite a few of them on the road. They don't market it as anything special but it's about as close as you can currently get. They run mid-low 14s with heavy, huge tires that they can't hook up. One of the things about the 8spd and other newer transmissions is that the very short 1st gear will give you a big ET gain if you put slicks on it.

I really like the quab cab SRT10 Rams. I've only driven one but it was enough to make me think about it.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/8/16 8:56 p.m.

In reply to Vigo:

Yep. I bought a 2011 back in 2012. A RC 2wd shortbed with the Hemi. It was the Express trim level. I wanted a 3.92 rear end but I would of have to order, it so I settled with the 3.55s. It moved pretty damn good and reached the electronically limited 105mph top speed in no time (or so I'm told ). I added a 14" Magnaflow SIDO muffler, a VaraRam intake, an electric exhaust cutout, Hellwig front/rear sway bars and black 22" SRT wheels. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
12/8/16 8:56 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: Bring back the typhoon / syclone

Yes please. Let's have turbo mini trucks again.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
12/8/16 9:41 p.m.

In reply to stanger_missle:

I think these could be just fun. They have more power than tires/chassis can handle. Make good noises. Can haul things and tow.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/8/16 11:12 p.m.
Chadeux wrote: I have a mild square body Dodge obsession but have no love for the stacks on the Little Red Express. Something must be wrong with me. Also I don't think any step side was worked right since the 8th gen F-series. It definitely won't work on any of the current trucks.

Don't like stacks? WARLOCK.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
12/8/16 11:43 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

I had a Warlock image search tab open, decided not to link because if I remember right the Warlock was just a trim package, it was the best trim package though.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
12/9/16 4:57 a.m.

I have spec'd out a few times - a new GMC Sierra 2wd reg cab shortbed 5.3 V8 locking rear diff pick up. Edelbrock makes a supercharger for the GM trucks, and also Ford and Dodge.

Stacy David on Gearz built a new Dodge Ram shortbox a few years ago.

A black Dodge with a Warlock package or Red Express would be fantastic.

A GMC Syclone is a must for my collection, that does not exist (at least of nice cars anyway)

collinskl1
collinskl1 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/9/16 6:11 a.m.

I know a guy that has 3 Typhoons, and they're all mint... it's a little excessive.

Chevy has apparently re-filed for the Cheyenne trademark. Their marque-specific forums have a lot of rumblings about a stripped out truck with some parts bin engineering of Z28/ZL1 components into a regular cab short box truck.

Think about how much rubber you could cram in the wheel wells!

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
12/9/16 6:23 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
chandlerGTi wrote: It's nearly impossible to get them to hook up, my dakota rt was silly and every full size truck with any power I've owned was the same way. You can order what you are looking for if you find a dealer interested. Reg cab, short box, big engine. Enjoy.
But that's the thing, you can't. None of the truck manufacturers will sell their lightest truck with the big motor. And by big motor I mean the biggest truck motor, which isn't the 'big' motor from any of them. Nobody will even let me build my own factory muscle truck.

Sorry, I missed your reply. I know you can configure them decently well online but the dealer (if they are willing since it doesn't make them any extra money) can configure it to your wants. The website config is for 99.9% of people.

NickD
NickD Dork
12/9/16 7:07 a.m.

There was an interview with Ralph Gilles where he got asked if a Hellcat Ram was on the way and he replied "Not at this time," and when they pressured whether that was a solid no he just repeated "Not at this time." Which makes me thinks it's coming eventually.

NickD
NickD Dork
12/9/16 7:11 a.m.
curtis73 wrote: Many of the hot trucks weren't that hot. SS454 was 245 hp. The Silverado SS just got the 6.0L by default instead of an option. The only real "hot" truck was the supercharged F150.

I would say that the Ram SRT-10 was also a "hot" truck. I mean, it had the heart of a supercar jammed in a truck for no real reason other than "Because we can"

The Silverado SS was really a travesty in production form. The original concept vehicle used a 2WD, standard-cab, short-bed 1500 with an LS6 and a 6-speed, crank windows, rubber floor mats and the Tahoe 4-link suspension. Instead we got a regular 6.0L with an automatic, AWD, crew-cab short-bed loaded down with every convenience option in the book. I drove one, and it felt no different than every other '01-'07 Silverado (which is to say, garbage)

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
12/9/16 8:08 a.m.

In reply to collinskl1:

If it's a stripper model they're hoping for Cheyenne historically wouldn't be a name/trim to get excited about. I guess Custom Deluxe or Scottsdale weren't part of the refilling?

I'd like to see the current generation of GM trucks get the Joe Gibbs treatment.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
12/9/16 8:59 a.m.
Furious_E wrote:
mazdeuce wrote:
I just spent the past hour pissing around on the Big 3's configurator thingys. In regular cab/short bed/basic trim/2wd configurations it looks like you can get the 5.3 from Chevy, the 5.7 Hemi from Dodge (sorry "RAM"), and the 5.0 from Ford. Any of those motors is bolt ons away from double the horsepower of a 454SS, although torque is a different story.

And all of those trucks are a tune away from crank HP numbers at the wheels. The RAM suffers most from torque reduction on shifting to make sure the trans lives, stupid MB ZF crap. Ford doesn't put in decent cams. GM went DI and like a bit leaner A/F.

You really can't go wrong with any of them.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
12/9/16 9:08 a.m.

There is a brand new GMC regular cab short box that is lowered hard by me. Low enough that the wheels tuck. That truck looks amazing. I try my best not to covet it.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
12/9/16 10:03 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote:
Furious_E wrote:
mazdeuce wrote:
And all of those trucks are a tune away from crank HP numbers at the wheels. The RAM suffers most from torque reduction on shifting to make sure the trans lives, stupid MB ZF crap. Ford doesn't put in decent cams. GM went DI and like a bit leaner A/F. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

The 5.0 in the Ford is the same as that in the Mustang, with notable exceptions being lower compression pistons, different cams, and (I think) a different intake. You can swap all that stuff yourself, if you wanted to.

Roush also makes a supercharger package for the F-150. Get a standard-cab, short-bed, 2WD supercharged Roush truck; that sounds FUN.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/9/16 10:33 a.m.
NickD wrote:
curtis73 wrote: Many of the hot trucks weren't that hot. SS454 was 245 hp. The Silverado SS just got the 6.0L by default instead of an option. The only real "hot" truck was the supercharged F150.
I would say that the Ram SRT-10 was also a "hot" truck. I mean, it had the heart of a supercar jammed in a truck for no real reason other than "Because we can"

I would say it is "hotter" by definition since it was faster than the Ford anyway.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
12/9/16 10:33 a.m.

I found an extended cab, short bed, 2wd, '12 F150 with a 5.0 near me listed for a hair under $9,000. The downside is it has 190,000+ miles. It was a fleet truck.

All trucks these days seem fast to me but, I've owned nothing but slow cars for quite a while.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/9/16 10:55 a.m.
collinskl1 wrote: I know a guy that has 3 Typhoons, and they're all mint... it's a little excessive. Chevy has apparently re-filed for the Cheyenne trademark. Their marque-specific forums have a lot of rumblings about a stripped out truck with some parts bin engineering of Z28/ZL1 components into a regular cab short box truck. Think about how much rubber you could cram in the wheel wells!

335mm easy

NickD
NickD Dork
12/9/16 11:02 a.m.
collinskl1 wrote: Chevy has apparently re-filed for the Cheyenne trademark. Their marque-specific forums have a lot of rumblings about a stripped out truck with some parts bin engineering of Z28/ZL1 components into a regular cab short box truck.

This is something that always irritates me. A company refiling for a trademark in no way, shape or manner means that there is a new version of that vehicle on the way. It just means that the trademark period is up and they have to refile, and the manufacturer does so so that another manufacturer doesn't snipe the name and we end up with a Hyundai Cheyenne, for instance.

Every time a manufacturer refiles, someone on the internet latches onto it and turns a routine procedure into a "There's a new one on the way" debacle, followed by disappointment when it doesn't happen. Like the time Buick refiled the Grand National trademark and people blew it out of proportions and a dealership started taking pre-orders on 2016 Buick Grand Nationals when Buick had no intention of even building such a car.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
12/9/16 11:57 a.m.

Trucks are expensive enough as it is. Add in a performance variant and the manufacturers will clean you out. Subaru makes a STI that gets similar gas mileage to a truck and a blast to drive. Makes neat noises too.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/9/16 12:17 p.m.
NickD wrote: There was an interview with Ralph Gilles where he got asked if a Hellcat Ram was on the way and he replied "Not at this time," and when they pressured whether that was a solid no he just repeated "Not at this time." Which makes me thinks it's coming eventually.

Ralph knows how things work. Not at this time just means not at this time. It doesn't mean "yes in the future" or "no", it just means not at this time. However, it's a tabula rasa for people to project their own hopes and dreams upon, so it's a confirmation of whatever preconceived idea you already have.

Agnew
Agnew UltraDork
12/9/16 12:39 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: You could order a Dodge pickup with a Street Hemi back in the day. I wonder if anyone did?

I dunno if it's the one you're thinking of, but in the early 60s they had the Custom Sports Special, which was a d100 pickup with a 426 wedge, hd suspension and voided warranty from the factory.

Chadeux wrote: In reply to Appleseed: I had a Warlock image search tab open, decided not to link because if I remember right the Warlock was just a trim package, it was the best trim package though.

It's was a trim package but had the option of a 440 motor that the lil red express did not.

A factory muscle truck would be nice but my bet is that all of them would load it down with luxuries and extra doors and stuff. I know with Dodge you can get the 390 hp motor in a base model truck and it ends up being like mid 20k.

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SA3dFcjaQRJri1l6Dx2ive8bucU8q2drKKJglB2De34DyUKLU69XNi422wy3vsIh