1 2
z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
10/31/11 10:31 p.m.

Hoping to find a set or two on a deal over winter, not sure if that happens but figured you guys would know.

Will be going on 15x8s on my NA. 205/50, maybe 225/45.

Suggestions?

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
10/31/11 11:38 p.m.

I get my Toyo RA1 tires from AIM Tire (CA) for my Spec Miata.

Phil's Tire Service retails them on the East Coast (NY) also 5xracing down in FL.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/1/11 12:00 a.m.

I tend to buy from OnlineTires.com.

trucke
trucke New Reader
11/1/11 5:47 a.m.

www.treadzone.com

They have a contingency program too!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/1/11 7:16 a.m.

I have used Phil's with no complaints - but lately I have been using a friend with a Hoosier association for his business. Prices are close to the same but since we race together - he just brings them to the track mounted and takes my spare wheels with him for next time.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/1/11 8:13 a.m.

My last set came from here. Hankook DOT slicks. They had the best prices and service was quick.

http://www.frisbyracetire.com/

Duke
Duke SuperDork
11/1/11 8:59 a.m.
trucke wrote: www.treadzone.com They have a contingency program too!

These guys look to have excellent prices. Thanks!

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
11/1/11 9:23 a.m.

Check hoosier's website for closeouts constantly. We bought bigass NOS A3s04's for our challenge car for $90 each shipped, complete with receipt for all the E36 M3-talkers.

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
11/1/11 10:47 a.m.

I always bought mine from The Tire Rack.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
11/1/11 11:18 a.m.

Usually from Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct, whichever has the best pricing. Never had issues with either place although one charges shipping and the other doesn't.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
11/1/11 11:48 a.m.
poopshovel wrote: Check hoosier's website for closeouts constantly. We bought bigass NOS A3s04's for our challenge car for $90 each shipped, complete with receipt for all the E36 M3-talkers.

Nice will do!

What all companies/models are there for Rcomps?

The only ones I'm REALLY familiar with are the RA-1s, R888s, NT-01s.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
11/1/11 11:53 a.m.

I am probably going with 225/45/15 Hankook Z214s in the C71 autox compound. Supposedly almost as fast as Hohos, longer lifespan, and they are substantially cheaper in 15" sizes (like $100/tire cheaper). Plus, unlike Khumos, the Hankooks are symmetrically carcassed so I can flip them inside out.

trucke
trucke New Reader
11/1/11 12:02 p.m.
Duke wrote: I am probably going with 225/45/15 Hankook Z214s in the C71 autox compound. Supposedly almost as fast as Hohos, longer lifespan, and they are substantially cheaper in 15" sizes (like $100/tire cheaper). Plus, unlike Khumos, the Hankooks are symmetrically carcassed so I can flip them inside out.

I'm thinking about the same for my Corolla FX16. It appears my LSD equipped FX16 may no longer be able to run in STX, but must be moved to DSP. Might as well go RComps then. Problem for me is I need 195's for the rear - nobody makes RComps in 195/50-15's. I'm sure I can get creative with the suspension and fit something.

Lots of good advice for tire suppliers mentioned. I bought some Hankook slicks on closeout from Frisby and they had great service. Treadzone does not hit you with sales tax for out of state purchases. That alone trumps Tirerack on price.

If you go with www.treadzone.com, be sure to signup for the contingency program before you make the purchase. Once ordered, I had tires on my doorstep in 3 days.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
11/1/11 12:07 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
poopshovel wrote: Check hoosier's website for closeouts constantly. We bought bigass NOS A3s04's for our challenge car for $90 each shipped, complete with receipt for all the E36 M3-talkers.
Nice will do! What all companies/models are there for Rcomps? The only ones I'm REALLY familiar with are the RA-1s, R888s, NT-01s.

Autocross or racing?

Keith
11/1/11 12:22 p.m.

And do you want to drive them on the street? The Nittos and Toyos can legitimately be used as street tires. Hoosiers cannot.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
11/1/11 12:31 p.m.

HPDE's, not racing.

Auto-X is unlikley because the run/cost ratio is poor.

Keith, that's a good question. It depends on if I can find a deal on a trailer over the winter. If not, I'll pick up a little trailer for the Miata to tow stuff behind.

ALthough the jump to sport brakes means the 14" currently on the car won't fit, so I'd have to buy another set of wheels just to drive to the track on.

HStockSolo
HStockSolo Reader
11/1/11 12:36 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: What all companies/models are there for Rcomps? The only ones I'm REALLY familiar with are the RA-1s, R888s, NT-01s.

So, those are the Toyo/Nittos

These are the ultimate dry grip autocross/qualifying tires in approximate order of performance:

Hoosier A6 (R6/Radial Wet)

Goodyear Eagle RS

Hankook Z214 C91/C71 (C51)

Kumho V710 (V700/Victoracer/W710)

Avon Tech RA/R

The ones in parens are road racing compounds as are the ones below.

BFGoodrich g-Force R1

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup

Pirelli PZero Corsa

Yokohama ADVAN A048

The "extreme" performance summer tires like the Hankook RS-3, ADVAN Neova AD08, and Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec are getting pretty close to the more treaded DOT R-compounds (i.e., the Toyos). I am leaning towards new 225/50R16 Hankook RS-3s for my 325i next year at about $100 a piece. Their main downsides are needing heat and not being the best at handling rain.

I've been impressed with the R888s I've seen being used. Toyo also offers a ton of sizes.

Hoosier has a 275/35ZR15 A6 (and R6) which is pretty much the ultimate 15" tire. The 225/45R15 Hankooks Z214s would be the next (major) step down but definitely more affordable. I've been happy with my 205/50R15 Kumho V710s for autocrossing, but they were a lot cheaper when I bought them ($122 in 2007).

The 195/50R15 Toyo R1Rs have some magical property (compound) that makes them excel on Miatas and Civics in autocross classes which allow wider street tires. They really don't like heat though.

Keith
11/1/11 12:46 p.m.

If you're going to be using them for fun track days and driving to the track, go with the Toyos or Nittos. They're probably the easiest R compounds to live with - streetable, long lived, friendly, relatively affordable. If you're doing HPDEs you're not necessarily looking to trade those attributes off just to knock off a second a lap. A number of those tires listed above aren't available in Miata-friendly sizes.

My experience with the extreme street tires is that they're very good, but I'd still get a set of R comps given the freedom. The price isn't that far off and on my V8 Miata there's a fairly noticeable difference in grip when it's hot. I don't think they'll last any longer either. I can't wait to burn off one of my sets of R1Rs so I can replace them with NT-01s.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
11/1/11 1:15 p.m.

I have a set of 4 15X8 XXR 501's (reportedly 13lbs each) with Hankook (C70 IIRC?) slicks mounted on them plus a spare slick. Only one track day on the 4 and the spare still has rubber left. They are dual 4x100 and 4x114.3 and work on Miatas. Originally came off an NB.

The bolt pattern isn't going to work with the brakes I have going on my RX-7. Looking to sell. Will sell either the rims or tires seperately.

Seen here. Let me know if interested.

http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/476/herra-frush/

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
11/1/11 1:54 p.m.

I'd have to see the XXR's (Sportmaxx) on a scale to believe the 15x8s are anywhere close to 13lbs.

Especially considering 15x8 6UL wheels are 12.5.

But Keith nailed it.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
11/1/11 1:59 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: I'd have to see the XXR's (Sportmaxx) on a scale to believe the 15x8s are anywhere close to 13lbs. Especially considering 15x8 6UL wheels are 12.5. But Keith nailed it.

They're pretty light.... XXR just announced their CCW Classics knockoff, and they're looking at 13.3lbs for the 15x8 as well.

13lbs isn't featherweight for a 15" wheel.

motomoron
motomoron HalfDork
11/1/11 2:17 p.m.

If you happen to be in the DC/MD/NOVA area I have to recommend Radial Tire Company in Silver Spring Md. Paul, the owner is a road racer forever, and they support SCCA/BMWCCA/PCA etc etc. They genuinely understand tires. Talk to Paul for race stuff and Sam for anything else.

That said, I bought my last set of RA1s from tiresdirect.net . The price was crazy low to the degree that I was a little surprised when they actually showed up. They have RA1s in 205-50/15 for $139.98 at the moment.

I've yet to try the Nittos or Hankooks. I know that RA1s,once lightly shaved and heat cycled the first time are very consistent and easy to live with. I check my hot pressure when I come off the first session and adjust up of down to my hot target pressure. Then I just flog them mercilessly all weekend. I flip them every other event, of flip a pair if I'm starting to hurt the left front, which Summit seems to do.

It's the track hurting the tires - not me or the car...

And they get better and better and better 'til they cord.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
11/1/11 2:25 p.m.

I might have mispoke. Most places I just searched for put them at 15lbs but I haven't found any independent people who put them on a scale.

Still pretty light especially for the price.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/1/11 2:27 p.m.
motomoron wrote: If you happen to be in the DC/MD/NOVA area I have to recommend Radial Tire Company in Silver Spring Md. Paul, the owner is a road racer forever, and they support SCCA/BMWCCA/PCA etc etc. They genuinely understand tires. Talk to Paul for race stuff and Sam for anything else.

I forgot about Radial Tire (it's been a while) but, yes, Paul is great if you can get him to come to the phone. They will shave them too if you need that.

motomoron wrote: I've yet to try the Nittos or Hankooks. I know that RA1s,once lightly shaved and heat cycled the first time are very consistent and easy to live with. ~~~ And they get better and better and better 'til the cord.

Nitto NT-01s were faster than the RA-1s out of the box, didn't need shaving and had the same faster until the cords consistency. They were not anywhere near as good in the wet due to the tread design but... you will not be disappointed otherwise.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
11/1/11 2:31 p.m.

Anyone ever run used race rubber, such as the Continential challenge tires (re-branded Hoosiers)? Several suppliers sell them with 75% rubber remaining for around $125 each in the 18" size I need for my M3, much more appealing than $3-400 each. Sure, they're not DOT so I have to bring them to the track but that's not a problem.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
muX2CW80vWjr3tDGUeYv8iaaH40tQEtyDTYB3zMjQAbT9Tu5MvUKNjbjeGjTmMar