1 2 3
Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/18 5:55 p.m.

I've been looking for one of these for a while. Seldom do they come available locally, and when they do it's for big money. This one popped up yesterday less than 5 miles away and was priced fairly. 125# of Coyote destruction just waiting to happen. A tap with a hammer made it ring like a bell, so there weren't any hidden cracks. Deal.

I let my 18yo load it in the Jeep. 

New tools always make me happy. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
9/3/18 5:56 p.m.

Nice!

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/3/18 5:57 p.m.

Now I want to start searching CL for one. 

Kramer
Kramer Dork
9/3/18 6:00 p.m.

If you haven't, YouTube anvil shooting.  Awesome!  

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/3/18 6:02 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Very nice! It appears to be in great shape, does it have any casting / founder's marks?

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
9/3/18 6:13 p.m.

As long as you don't see Coyote's.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/3/18 6:30 p.m.

I now suddenly want to swap a modular Ford 5.0 into a Plymouth...

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/3/18 6:47 p.m.

Lot of fun in this post!

The anvil takes me back. When I was training Standardbred race horses, one of my friends offered to pay for farrier school for me, if I would be his partner shoeing the race horses.

I'm sure glad I didn't. I'm okay with working on cats and dogs at 62. Sure couldn't shoe horses all day.

Toyman01
9/3/18 6:48 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

It has some numbers cast into one side. A quick glance shows 22 plus some other numbers that really aren't legible. I'll get it up on the bench in the next day or so and study it closer. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
9/3/18 6:53 p.m.

Not spending much time out west in my life I’m at a hotel just outside Death Valley NP this summer and a funny looking bird runs by.  Wait, is that a road runner?  

Yes, it was says the desk clerk.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/3/18 7:40 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Tiny, aren't they?  I expected they would be larger. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/3/18 7:41 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

It has some numbers cast into one side. A quick glance shows 22 plus some other numbers that really aren't legible. I'll get it up on the bench in the next day or so and study it closer. 

Does it say Acme on it anywhere? 

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
9/3/18 7:42 p.m.

I have a chunk of rail that makes an excellent anvil. I figure if it’s strong enough to support a train, then it’s strong enough for anything I’m gonna do in the garage. 

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
9/3/18 7:49 p.m.

If it rings like that you can play it with hammers, heard a guy play one at Biltmore village.

Toyman01
9/3/18 8:07 p.m.

In reply to Spoolpigeon :

I've had a chunk of rail floating around for decades. It works OK. I've still always wanted a actual anvil. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
9/3/18 8:10 p.m.

I was just looking at Anvils on Craigslist...a  120 lb Peter Wright for only $950.  frown

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/3/18 8:12 p.m.

Nice find. I've been watching a couple on the local Craigslist for a few months, but they want ridiculous amounts of money. 

I caught a blacksmithing demonstration at the fair a few weeks ago that really made me want to do it. It looks almost soothing, and any hobby that involves fire AND hammers sounds very enjoyable. 

I make due with an end cap left over from a building. It's 5/8"thick all around, but it's hollow in the middle and tends to move around when not welded into place. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/3/18 8:21 p.m.

Jim Neidhart approves.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
9/3/18 8:28 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Yes, that’s why I was surprised. Guy in hotel told me the road runners walk the lot at night and eat bugs off the fronts of cars.  

Also GM parked their trucks here for cooling tests across Death Valley.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
9/3/18 8:29 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

I found my Fisher anvil in a scrapyard. This can be a slippery slope to toil acquisition. Forges,bellows, tongs...

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/18 8:43 p.m.
P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/3/18 8:55 p.m.

The guy I bought my foundry from has an honest to goodness anvil. He said he'd been using a section of train track for years but it was night and day pounding metal out on an anvil

Congratulations. I hear they're really hard to come by. What are you doing with yours? (I kinda TLDRed the whole thing, you've probably answered this already)

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
9/3/18 9:04 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

That coyote sighting paper is from my area.  I just about died laughing the first time I saw it. 

Toyman01
9/3/18 9:08 p.m.

I would like to build a knife or two.

That and sometimes you just need to beat the crap of of something. wink

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
9/3/18 9:10 p.m.

Lol - saw your thread and couldn't help myself.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BmC2h3pe8yiVoO6k829dykjvjjpIPEloP7eOMRKpNx2MKjJiSvIvku9tp28rLC27