Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Dork
12/16/20 4:02 p.m.

Where can I find a set of cheap wheels for my 2017 Mustang. I want to have another set of wheels to put snow tires on for my ski runs up to New Mexico and Colorado. They don't have to be pretty to put a set of Blizzaks on them. I also want to know what size wheel would work best with snow tires. I know that taller is better for ground clearance. Do wheels for older Mustangs fit. I do know there is a sensor in the wheel somewhere that transmits tire pressure to the car. Do I have to have this? 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/16/20 5:03 p.m.

How cheap is cheap? And do all four have to match? Tire Rack shows some as low as $80, but they just have one left. If all four have to match, then you're up to about $115/each. Or are we looking for something like take-off stealies? 

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Dork
12/16/20 5:07 p.m.

Steel wheels would be cool. In black. 

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
12/16/20 5:09 p.m.

You need something like a 18x9 or 18x10 with +45ish offset.  S197 wheels should work, older than that will not.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/16/20 5:20 p.m.

Just yesterday i saw a current Mustang convertible wearing P71 steel wheels complete with the center caps. I could not tell if it was a GT or not.  Looked pretty good.

These

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Dork
12/16/20 5:25 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Just yesterday i saw a current Mustang convertible wearing P71 steel wheels complete with the center caps. I could not tell if it was a GT or not.  Looked pretty good.

These

OK. That's what I need. The bolt pattern is really the same? 

Mine isn't a GT. It's an ecoboost convertible.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
12/16/20 5:54 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie :

Yes, 5x114.3.  I think the biggest problem with steel wheels is making sure they clear your brakes.  Being an Ecoboost might make that less of an issue.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Dork
12/16/20 6:36 p.m.

Wait a minute. Is the bolt pattern the same on my 2017 Mustang and my 1993 Jeep Cherokee XJ. 

I am having some wicked thoughts right now. Studded snows on a Mustang Convertible? Off road Mustang? Sharing snow tires between two different cars?

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
12/16/20 6:37 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie :

Yes.

I sold an old set of wheels from my Mustang to a guy with an XJ.  Also the same as a Ford Ranger, Nissan 240sx, 300zx, 350z.  Lots of options.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Dork
12/16/20 6:45 p.m.

So I can buy a set of Blizzaks and put them on either the Mustang or the Cherokee, depending on which one I want to take to the snow. The Mustang would be OK for ski resorts but if I want to go to some kind of dogsled event involving dirt roads and trails, I could switch the tires to the Cherokee. 

Got it. 

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Dork
12/16/20 6:50 p.m.

And S-197 wheels will fit on my S-550? 

ztnedman1
ztnedman1 Reader
12/16/20 7:33 p.m.
Snowdoggie said:

So I can buy a set of Blizzaks and put them on either the Mustang or the Cherokee, depending on which one I want to take to the snow. The Mustang would be OK for ski resorts but if I want to go to some kind of dogsled event involving dirt roads and trails, I could switch the tires to the Cherokee. 

Got it. 

Depends on offsets.  Sometimes it may just look goofy...others its hitting the caliper or something else hard and not usable.

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
12/16/20 7:38 p.m.

Maybe play around one one of the Mustang customizer websites?  (American Muscle for example).  They often have what fits what tools for wheels , tires and other accessories. 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
12/16/20 7:41 p.m.

I highly doubt cherokee 15s would fit over your S550 brakes.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Dork
12/16/20 7:50 p.m.
buzzboy said:

I highly doubt cherokee 15s would fit over your S550 brakes.

I could go in the other direction. The stock wheels on the Mustang are 18' and there is very little room left for those big brake disks. Did the later Crown Vics come with an 18' steel wheel?

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
12/16/20 8:15 p.m.

In reply to Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter) :

Jeep is 71.5mm centerbore

S550 is 70.5mm

So jeep wheel will fit the mustang centerbore but not the brakes. Mustang wheel will clear jeep brakes but not the centerbore.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
12/16/20 8:24 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

Nothing a little spacer won't solve.

karplus2
karplus2 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/17/20 9:06 a.m.

I got a set of cheap ($180 for all 4) 18" Mustang wheels off Facebook Marketplace to run on my G70. Something else to watch out for is wheel stud size. The Mustang wheels I got are for 14mm wheel studs. My G70 has 12mm wheel studs. I found some extended lug nuts that work perfect but something else to watch out for.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Dork
12/17/20 10:05 a.m.

I was wondering about these Crown Vic wheels. They are the right bolt pattern and 17 inches. 

https://www.wheelsandcaps.com/p-23763-steel-wheel-rim-17x75-3670.aspx

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
12/17/20 1:12 p.m.

About 8 years ago I caught a sale at American Muscle and bought 18x9.5" wheels for $64 each new. But that's rare. Cheapest place for Mustang wheels is always used market - Craigslist, FB marketplace, etc. People are always trying to sell their stock wheels after upgrading. I kept mine, although I don't know if I'll ever use them. I figured I might need track wheels one day, although they're 17s, so tire fitment keeps dwindling.

Quick CL search shows several sets in the Dallas area for $450/ set. As low as $250/ set if the S197 17" bullets would fit, but I doubt they'll clear your brakes.

Another strategy is to go to your local popular wheel shops and talk to the staff. If they're upgrading a lot of people's wheels you might be able to put a bounty on a set of factory take-off wheels. Offer them $20 if they refer you to an owner that just got rimz and wants to sell their old ones. Offer only pays if you buy the wheels. Or tell them you'll pay $300 for a set of wheels and let them find a set and cut a deal to make whatever they can.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/17/20 2:19 p.m.
Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter) said:
Patientzero said:

In reply to buzzboy :

Nothing a little spacer won't solve.

The only issue he might encounter is if the wheels are hub centric.  In the past I ran a set of wheels on a car with the correct bolt pattern but had a minor vibration because the center bore didn't fit tightly.  Just a thought.  

I've been running wheels without hubcentric rings for years. Tighten the lugs slowly in a cross pattern before lowering to the ground. Done. Also, Ebay is still a good source sometimes for random stuff. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dybpJPrKDJUWLyp3h7j341fzAh6LHmbHZjIGXUTufCujNpPuLGLu05eekO8zp1aU