jonnyd330
jonnyd330 New Reader
3/26/12 11:05 a.m.

I found an NA for sale on the cheap since it needs some work and the soft top is shot. I have been searching for where and how much a new top would be, any suggestions? I would like to go with a glass window for visibility.

RossD
RossD UltraDork
3/26/12 11:19 a.m.

I just ordered a Robbins Streamline XT Series Vinyl with a plastic window, however. It should be here Wednesday. I plan on having it installed by the weekend. I can report back if you'd like. Here's the link to Moss Motors.

It'll be my first top replacement but I have Keith's book to aid in my work.

peter
peter Reader
3/26/12 11:46 a.m.

This was several years ago now, but when I needed to replace my top it was easy to find a low-mile NB top on frame at a junk yard. I did one of the u-need-a-part/car-part/whatever places, got a almost-new top for less than a Robbins.

Much easier to install and nothing beats the quality of an OE top.

motomoron
motomoron Dork
3/26/12 11:50 a.m.

I read a load of stuff and being that I like to do stuff right the first time, went for a Robbins for my early NA. I did the installation in one long evening and couple hours the next evening. Fits about perfectly, the installation isn't a terrible job. I have a pneumatic Pop Rivet tool which is helpful - and have plenty of space and lay out a mover's blanket to spread out on when fitting the top to the frame.

Clean out all the various drains and gutters while you've got the top off. It's also a nice time to shampoo the rear deck carpet. Also, the little plastic studs that retain that carpet have probably gotten a bit brittle by now - get new ones first.

racerfink
racerfink Dork
3/26/12 1:28 p.m.

I got mine from www.hydroe.com

Had it on the car for a year, and it's holding up well. The guy who put it on for me, who does quite a few Miata tops, was impressed with the quality.

jonnyd330
jonnyd330 New Reader
3/26/12 1:37 p.m.

What is the deal with the zipper and non-zipper tops? Should I get a zipper top if I plan on using the car at the track?

RossD
RossD UltraDork
3/26/12 2:16 p.m.

The rear window unzips from the rest of the top to allow the plastic (and maybe glass? IDK) window to lay down flat and not fold in half. I went zipperless because I am cheap.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/12 2:38 p.m.
peter wrote: This was several years ago now, but when I needed to replace my top it was easy to find a low-mile NB top on frame at a junk yard. I did one of the u-need-a-part/car-part/whatever places, got a almost-new top for less than a Robbins. Much easier to install and nothing beats the quality of an OE top.

That's a nice way to go if you can find one. The NB top is a good piece. Make sure you get the frame, they're different, but it's a really easy bolt-in. You don't tend to find NB tops in FM Salvage because they all get snapped up by the employees

I haven't done many top installs, but I've been happy with Robbins parts. I know that Cabrioworld gets recommendations from my coworkers as well. It's only something that needs to be done every 8-10 years if you take care of the car. Heck, both of my 1990s are still on the original 22-year-old tops.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/26/12 2:44 p.m.

Mine's got a Robbins top that the PO installed himself. I was very wary of it having an aftermarket top (bad experience with them in the UK, lots of wind noise) but it fits very well. He also spent a lot of time to ensure that the fit is right.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/26/12 5:05 p.m.

Do they offer a zip-down glass window? If not, I'd probably go with plastic. On a hot day--or when on the highway--opening up all three windows while leaving the top up makes a nice compromise.

My car has a plastic back window, and I have never changed it. I bought the car in '98. Keeping it garaged probably helps, though.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
3/26/12 6:08 p.m.

I helped my dad do a 3 window from Kee(?) 4 or 5 years back. Still looks good, surprisingly, and was no harder than other tops. May want to ensure you get one with the rain gutter already installed. I understand without is a bit more pain, and they don't cost much.

Keith
3/26/12 6:36 p.m.

A coworker just installed a top without a rain rail. He says "no big deal at all".

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
3/26/12 6:39 p.m.

That's like saying that Jesus walked across a puddle without getting his feet wet, then said "no big deal at all". Of course it wasn't a big deal!

I kid- I know nothing else about it, but that Keith knows better than me- only done one here.

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
3/26/12 6:42 p.m.

I have done two with the Robbins top. Couple of thoughts: Get the new top with the rainrail installed.It was an option and the first time I thought I would save a few bucks.

Don't bother trying to do this with the top frame on the car. It is reputed that it is possible but not from where I was standing.

You have a gamble to take; There are tension wires that run from the front bow to the back of the window. You may or may not need new ones and the old ones are not possible to asses until you take them out and inspect. Be safe and order new that you dont need or find out you need and wait for delivery?

Read up on the job on the Miata.net forum until you can do it in your head. It is a long task, but none of it is hard.One case where you really save some $$$ as the local Miata dealers want over $2000 to replace a top!

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UberDork
3/26/12 7:08 p.m.

Went with a cheapie from Miatatops.com. It's held up well. Trying to remember who actually makes it.

Vinyl window, non zip. Top flops down easily.

intrepid
intrepid New Reader
3/26/12 8:50 p.m.

I'm going to need to replace the top on my 99 before too long (probably before summer). What are folks thoughts on glass vs. plastic rear windows?

Thanks, -chris r.

Keith
3/26/12 11:26 p.m.

I'm not sure you can get plastic windows for the 99.

naparsei
naparsei New Reader
3/27/12 8:57 a.m.

Find where the Spec Miata guys hang out. Someone is building one, or starting to. They won't be needing that top or a lot of other goodies you might want. They will probably be VERY reasonable.

edited for speeling

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1DbfxwuTzZZVrwmGwCxhtxyBTrlfjxXME38vF88cRpUwNOkBBZcxwfL2vY3ojLxg