ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
11/20/08 8:49 a.m.

Hey all,

I've got one of those portable air tanks that I've had for years. Recently, the relief valve, that's supposed to releive pressure over a certain threshold (say 150 psi or so) started popping open at about 60 psi.

I'd like to just replace the valve block that has the on/off valve and the pressure relief valve and I'm hoping it won't cost as much as just replacing the whole tank (but I'm afraid it might).

I've searched the 'net a bit and most results are for SCUBA stuff (not applicable), tank "conversion kits" (like for BBQ grill propane tanks to be used for this purpose...kit costs more than a complete, ready-to-go air tank), or entire portable air tanks.

Anybody Been there, Done that?

Thanks, Clem

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/20/08 9:43 a.m.

Look for either a Grainger or a shop that sells and services industrial air compressors

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
11/20/08 9:45 a.m.

This thing?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/6X272?BaseItem=4TK12

Not as much as a new tank, but if the tank is more than a couple of years old it may be worth replacing anyway.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
11/20/08 10:06 a.m.

That's the one...thanks!

I think I've got a local grainger...gotta check that out.

The tank is several years old, and I'll certainly look over the inside, but I think it's in reasonable shape.

Thanks again! Clem

914Driver
914Driver Dork
11/20/08 10:18 a.m.

Clem, I've got a tank (air pig) that I never use. Pay the shipping and the valve is yours. It looks like the one above but also has a short hose and a gage.

Can't be that much from 12020, weighs a pound maybe?

Dan

oldopelguy
oldopelguy HalfDork
11/20/08 10:49 a.m.

McMaster-Carr also sells them, page 455 in their catalog, for @$10.

iceracer
iceracer Reader
11/20/08 10:59 a.m.

Hardware stores. I got mine at the local NAPA. ok, I know . I've just seen them at the ACE store.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
11/20/08 12:59 p.m.
914Driver wrote: ...Pay the shipping and the valve is yours... Dan

Dan...thanks for the offer.

I went by my local grainger at lunch and think I have the situation under control at this point.

Again...I appreciate the help everyone!

Clem

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l504KgPnprypkVeCNxCQ8OOexRxMV3qvqJ2dtDGFXocqIvtLVBzuyxKaoOWJXAdg