mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
5/21/08 2:11 p.m.

So, let's say that I wanted to do something crazy with a Miata. One that has a challenge value of ZERO dollars. Say I wanted to put 4 turbos on it, just because. Each turbo would be looking at .45 liters of displacement. I want them cheap. Anyone have any idea what turbos might fit the bill? Yes, it's off the wall, but I think that you could get decent power with a really quick spool up.

Armitage
Armitage None
5/21/08 2:29 p.m.

That's a heckova lot of intake/exhaust/water/oil/vaccum plumbing in a small amount of space. I'm not sure if there's any advantage to using 4 super small turbos that receive sporadic exhaust pulses versus one single small unit that receives them more sequentially. To that end you could probably pick up an old DSM 14b or t25 or WRX 13g turbo for cheap or free. But it sounds like a neat project either way so I wish you luck!

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
5/21/08 6:13 p.m.

Won't work well. turbos work like ass off of a single cylinder.. to make it work you need to build an accumulation chamber that provides a reflective exhaust pulse through the turbine stage. So you'd have to have an expansion chamber that provides a 1/2 wavelength pulse to the turbine stage, much like a 2 stroke. If you did get it to work, it would be.

1. heavy.
  2. a very very narrow powerband.
grtechguy
grtechguy Dork
5/21/08 8:24 p.m.
ignorant wrote: Won't work well. turbos work like ass off of a single cylinder.. to make it work you need to build an accumulation chamber that provides a reflective exhaust pulse through the turbine stage. So you'd have to have an expansion chamber that provides a 1/2 wavelength pulse to the turbine stage, much like a 2 stroke. If you did get it to work, it would be. 1. heavy. 2. a very very narrow powerband.

BUT!!!!!

It would look totaly KICK-ASS!

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
5/21/08 8:41 p.m.

and we all know things done for looks are more betterer

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
5/22/08 10:32 a.m.

hmmm, maybe I'll lurk at turbomiata.net for a while, and then get the living E36 M3 stomped from my soul when I ask a question.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker SuperDork
5/22/08 10:46 a.m.

As far as available turbos to fit it, Some of the old motorcycles, John deere and other 3cyl lawn mowers diesels. The size will not be correct but off the top of my head thats the closest.

One way to make them spool would be to set them on a log header with seperate flange outlets. offset them for room, and run indivdual runners to a ITB maybe a stock Hyabusa, or old R1 or something". That should even the delivery out, give you the look, and actually possibly increase the performance.

I say try it! Just will be a matter of finding the turbo's.

toyokogyo12aturbo
toyokogyo12aturbo New Reader
5/22/08 10:55 a.m.

OT, but is this page screwed up on anyone else's computer. Right after grtechguy's quote?

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/22/08 11:01 a.m.

Yes, yes it is!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
akfOruLpufuvNjL0O240KTlcY8gv2EhTiDs1LrQrqJtzt9htxMNMw7uANcnXsJLg