CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/19/12 10:03 a.m.

I did a quick search and saw people liked Herculiner over Dupli-color. Any other experiences?

I'm going to be using this for the '96 F-150 I bought. I will be doing the tops of the bumpers, the cow catcher, rockers, and over the fenders in order to rust proof it as much as possible. The underside of the body is super clean after crawling under it all weekend. The only rust I saw was heat shields and surface rust on the frame and it is starting on the rear fenders. I will clean up what is there and cover that as well.

For the frame and chassis parts, what is a good rust converter spray paint? I don't feel like brushing POR-15 for this truck. I just want to get the big flakes off and spray on a generous coating of paint to stop further rust.

Thanks!

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
9/19/12 10:08 a.m.

I think people like herculiner because you can find it at Walmart and do it yourself. Can't say I was overly impressed by the stuff.

As for simple rustproofing, Rustoleum rusty metal primer, in a can, mixed 50/50 with acetone. Cheap and real effective. Just glop it on with a chip brush.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
9/19/12 10:09 a.m.

U-Pol Raptor is reviewed pretty favorably, and that's what the guy who did his whole Audi used. Plus, it's got a Velociraptor on the can.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/19/12 10:10 a.m.

Herculiner's big advantage is that it's brush-on and therefore much easier to apply.

And don't get it on your hootus

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
9/19/12 10:16 a.m.

I used Herculiner in my F250. Nothing that gives you a headache as bad as that stuff does can be bad.

As with most things, prep work is the key. (and don't get any on your hootus).

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
9/19/12 10:16 a.m.

por 15, then U-Pol Raptor (it has a velociraptor on the can) while the por 15 is still tacky.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
9/19/12 10:20 a.m.

Zero Rust is an alternative to POR-15 and much cheaper. Wear a filter mask when using it, however. I painted the inside of a van (with no doors or windows) on a breezy day and was loopy after about 10 minutes.

-Rob

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/19/12 10:57 a.m.

I've done Herculiner. Do your prep, do it in a well-ventilated area, and it's not too bad. Wear latex or nitrile gloves, and don't get any on your hootus. It looks nice when done, but it did seem to scratch pretty easily. The truck I did it on had plastic bedliner that had moved around and scratched the bed, and there was a decent amount of surface rust starting. I think that's a good application for the stuff.

But if you have a truck with a good bed, I wouldn't bother. I'd go with the high-dollar Line-X or Rhino Liner, or I'd just leave it alone. Maybe do a rubber mat, I've always liked those. Cheap, they protect well, and they keep stuff from sliding around.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
9/19/12 1:02 p.m.

I used the Rustoleum bed liner paint on the bottoms of my tool box drawers and have not been happy with it. It's still tacky to this day so a tool that's infrequently used will be a bit stuck to the drawer. I would hate to see what it's like on a pickup.

I have a rubber mat in the bed of my truck and it's been great. No problems with rust or stuff sliding around. But for our business truck we had rhino liner sprayed in and that's also been great.

speedblind
speedblind Reader
9/19/12 3:13 p.m.

I used the Duplicolor stuff on a truck awhile back. Turned ashy grey almost immediately, but it's hung in there over 5-6 years. Looks like crap though.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
9/19/12 3:26 p.m.

The pop up camper guys have a huge love for Grizzly Grip as a DIY coating for roof repair - it's originally a bedliner product. I intend to coat mine as soon as I can find the money and time.

http://www.grizzlygrip.com/

Huh, looks like the sites down because they're backed up on orders. Haven't seen that before....

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/19/12 6:20 p.m.

In reply to speedblind:

Does paint stick to it? I wonder if I could clear it and it would stay glossy?

pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
9/19/12 7:30 p.m.

I use the duplicolor stuff in the aerosol can for all kinds of stuff. It isn't thick enough to be used as bed liner but it is great for bumpers, brackets, frames etc.

speedblind
speedblind Reader
9/28/12 10:53 a.m.
CGLockRacer wrote: In reply to speedblind: Does paint stick to it? I wonder if I could clear it and it would stay glossy?

Nope, it isn't glossy out of the can, which is something I was looking for. Fresh, it's a nice satin black finish with a bit of texture. We did my truck bed and immediately did my brother's Miata based on the way it looked. I doubt you could clear it though.

Overall, not bad for ~50 in paint and a lot less effort than other methods. I've seen the can stuff and it always came out too shiny for me. The glossier the paint, the more it makes imperfections obvious.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9o60FqpuDGnDgWGxLlu3VOgDOB3BZQNQgjCF1ZEqBhHAwya1fHN3F4a4xl1h2D0c