_
_ HalfDork
8/7/19 2:20 p.m.

So I did not want to hijack the other thread, figured I would make my own. On my 1997 Mazda Miata, the cooling fan on the driver side is bad. I’ve verified voltage to it. The fan on the passenger side works fine. 

My question is which fan is which? I am getting conflicting forum information (once again) about which fan is for the air-conditioning, and which one is for the radiator. The driver side fan only got voltage when the system got hot enough (220°)and the AC was on. But everything  I have read says that the driver side van is the radiator fan, and the passenger side fan is for the air conditioning. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/7/19 2:26 p.m.

1997s don't really have an AC fan and a radiator fan. They have two fans and the ECU will turn one or both on depending on various conditions :) 1.6 models were different.

Driver's side is the primary, passenger's is the secondary. Both should be functional so I'm not sure it matters which is which!

(note, this is assuming a LHD car)

_
_ HalfDork
8/7/19 4:20 p.m.

The reason I need to know is so I can order the correct One, that is, unless they are both interchangeable? 

Several websites list a cooling fan, and an air conditioning fan. One is like 30 bucks, the other is like 50 bucks. These are all used parts, because I don’t feel like going through the hassle of taking apart the electric motor out of the plastic housing to replace it.

In my case, it is the driver side fan that is bad

_
_ HalfDork
8/7/19 4:22 p.m.
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/7/19 4:41 p.m.

IIRC the primary fan is smaller than the AC fan. But if your driver's side is bad, it's the cooling fan.

FYI, a new motor for the cooling fan (B61P-15-150B) via Mazda Team Support is $137. That way, you'll get a brand new part and not one that's old enough to order a beer. There's a reason junkyards don't warranty electrical parts.

_
_ HalfDork
8/7/19 4:56 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

All right, all right. I’ll stop being a cheap ass!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GMfGBSU4ssP6kwrASEH0o6ZICUB2StPYPn374jsEX3Y5XEazRyYH34v4jUwlcKLI