1 2
joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
9/23/17 11:43 p.m.

The wife and I are thinking a van to turn into a camperish type machine. Possibly a conversion van since it’s already cushy inside.   I’d like to find one about 3k. Seems to be a lot out there with good records and new tires. So, given your choice, Ford gm or dodge?  Say 100-150k miles, and similar condition. Drove a decent 1998 dodge with 318 today. Drove like a....van. Vague steering and soft brakes but otherwise pretty tight. I accept they won’t be on par with my miata. But what do we think about engine and trans on each of the major players?  

This is the van I drove today: 

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/d/1997-b2500-dodge-conversion/6315173169.html

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
9/24/17 6:45 a.m.

I have thought about this too. I have come to the conclusion that a bare cargo van would be better for me. I can see the metal  and know how solid it is. I won't be dealing with the filth that others have inflicted upon it and I will probably be pulling some or most of the conversion parts out if I am making a true camper rig

On the plus side i do like the conversion van windows with screens.

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
9/24/17 7:36 a.m.

Yeah, we debated these exact same things as well. But we decide most likely conversion mainly for the windows. The thing will be hot. Also, most panel vans are well used up or brand new. Guys don’t seem to let go of them if there is much life left in them. But for whatever reason there are quite a lot of well kept conversions, and it seems a lot of them have new tires...

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/24/17 7:57 a.m.

Honestly you can hold out for an 03+ express/savana.  LS power, better steering.  Probably the best traditional van shaped van  the big 3 made 

wae
wae Dork
9/24/17 8:25 a.m.

I've never driven the Dodge, but I had a couple Fords and drove a couple Chebbys.   The 4.6 in the Fords is pretty anemic once you put all that van on top of it and especially if you attach a trailer.  It'll get there, but it's going to let you know just how hard it's working.  The 5.4 is much more relaxed about things.  I always preferred the Ford's driving experience, but it was more things like how the dash and controls were laid out more than how it actually drove.  Upside to the Chevy is that in later years, you could get doors on both sides of the van instead of just the passenger side.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
9/24/17 8:27 a.m.

You're talking about vehicles that are close to 20 years old.  At that point, I think you should be more concerned about condition instead of brand, just buy the best one you can find in your budget range.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/24/17 8:34 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

I am going to disagree with you here. To build a camper out of any of these vehicles is going to entail going over the entire structure and all systems. The stock suspension on a van might hold up to the weight, but will it have the travel? We are talking new springs and shocks at this point. Same with the engine and drivetrain.

I am not saying to buy a basket case, but in my travels, I have noticed that not all vans drive alike.  I too have thought about turning a van into a "soft roader" for camping. I would take a ford (because I know them and put many miles in several) with a high roof conversion and gut it down to the metal walls and go from there.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
9/24/17 10:45 a.m.

Ford E250 or E350 conversion vans with raised roof seem to be easy button rather than building one. Already has upgraded suspension.  Converting a cargo van would seem to be a lot of upgrades/expense to support weight you'd be adding.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
9/24/17 1:02 p.m.
Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
9/24/17 1:17 p.m.

E 350 with twin I beam and long rear overhang instead of a longer wheelbase has probably killed more church groups that ISIS.

If you do use one of them, for chrissakes keep the heavy stuff inside the wheelbase.

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
9/24/17 1:35 p.m.

Thanks guys, but I think you over estimate my ambition!  Only talking a mild camper here. Pull out the rear seating, put in a mattress in the back, maybe an inverter to get 110 for a coffee pot. Portapotti possibly. 

I’d love something like a road trek, but those are money money money. I don’t think weight will be a huge issue. Mostly I’m just looking for info like from Patrick, infor on improvements, or stuff to avoid, like the transmission in such and such models is a time bomb or whatnot. Ive heard horror stories about dodge trans but is it valid?

Thanks!  

rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/24/17 3:06 p.m.

I know this isn't what you are asking about, but why not get something like a pop up camper?  You can get one in decent shape in the $1k range, and they don't take up a ton of space when not in use.  

wae
wae Dork
9/24/17 3:38 p.m.

I used to use my Ford van like that occasionally.  I'd remove the middle seats and then put the rear seat down into a bed.  The easy up would go next to the side doors and I bought mosquito netting super cheap at the fabric store that I cut to size and secured in the doorways with magnets.  The center area had lots of space that would be full for the trip and then empty upon setting up camp.  

A regular height van would work and has the advantage of being easy to park.  A high top van is much easier to move around in, though.  Good luck with parking garages though.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
9/24/17 4:07 p.m.

In reply to joey48442 :

Most everything you're looking for  and more! 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
9/24/17 4:27 p.m.

Joey, I'm in the biz. You do NOT want a RoadTrek. Good golly miss molly have I seen shoddy workmanship on RoadTreks.   

As far as the full-sized vans go, IIRC, if you're looking at extended models, the Chev is MUCH more stable. Less lrone to roll over

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/24/17 8:29 p.m.

I put a lot of miles on a 1996 3500 Chevy van long wheel base. Rode and handled nice when epmty or carrying 3500 lbs+. The GM vans seem to have more foot room than the Dodge or Ford. What ever you buy, make sure it has 8 lugs. This puts you in heavy 3/4 or 1 ton range. No worries about payload and you get bigger brakes, better cooling etc. Diesel (Chevy Duramax or Ford Powerstroke) power is an option, but pricey.  I'd vote for a LS powered Chevy  w/8600gvw or higher as this will get you the better 4L80E trans. Look for 8 lugs.

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
9/25/17 6:19 a.m.

I may have a 2001 GMC savana SLT for sale soon.   It is in michigan but grew up in the south so it has an accent, but no rust.  Look into one, they are a factory conversion style van with seats that come out.  They only came in four colors mine is the navy blue.

Current specs,

350 Vortec with the MPI upgrade, 4L60E with corvette servo for 2nd and 4th with a cooler, 3:73 gears as part of a towing package, 365 watt bose stereo with two factory subs, two screens with an auxiliary port for DVD player input, wireless headphones that can listen to two sources at the same time.  Four captains and a bench, dual ac that is cold, even this weekend.  Reliable as gravity as long as you change the cooked plug wires every 30k.

My wife wants it gone, I'm rather attached to it.   After ten years of ownership I can't think of a more use full vehicle.

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
9/25/17 7:17 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

^^ that sounds like an awesome starting platform to me.

Heck, I'm local ish in Grand Rapids and would be interested if it doesn't meet OP's requirements.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/17 7:18 a.m.

My father's Chevy Van just got traded in at 198,000 because the transmission started to slip.  This is after a lifetime of serious abuse and neglect from someone who considers a van nothing more than a tool.  To me, that says that Chevy's are the best you can get.  

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
9/25/17 7:29 a.m.
akylekoz said:

I may have a 2001 GMC savana SLT for sale soon.   It is in michigan but grew up in the south so it has an accent, but no rust.  Look into one, they are a factory conversion style van with seats that come out.  They only came in four colors mine is the navy blue.

Current specs,

350 Vortec with the MPI upgrade, 4L60E with corvette servo for 2nd and 4th with a cooler, 3:73 gears as part of a towing package, 365 watt bose stereo with two factory subs, two screens with an auxiliary port for DVD player input, wireless headphones that can listen to two sources at the same time.  Four captains and a bench, dual ac that is cold, even this weekend.  Reliable as gravity as long as you change the cooked plug wires every 30k.

My wife wants it gone, I'm rather attached to it.   After ten years of ownership I can't think of a more use full vehicle.

I’m very interested.  What sort of miles and price are we thinking?  Feel free to email me at joeljblatchford @ yahoo or text me at+124820275seven3. Thanks!

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
9/25/17 10:16 a.m.

I have been dragging around the South in a more or less used up 1986 GMC G20 van people moving van (carb'd 350 700R4 trans) set up for camping for the last decade. It has it's advantages, windows but none of the added weight of conversion van stuff that just breaks, it has tons of space with all the seats out, (mine had no seats when I bought it). I am thinking it is time to upgrade to a newer platform. I built my own storage/bed set up for the rear and with a little planning you can keep at least one rear seat for carrying people as well as having some camping space. GM has the advantage of it's extended length vans keeping the length in the wheelbase instead of hanging it off the back like Ford and I think Dodge.?? It makes for a longer turning radius but it also is less prone to mishaps at highway speed and if you decide to tow something.  

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/17 10:49 a.m.

that is a big Advantage for GM.  However, I would like a regular van with a conversion van roof. I would not want to add any of the fragile electrics (seats, windows, and such) but the added headroom would be nice

718gila
718gila New Reader
9/25/17 11:37 a.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

Not to hijack this thread - but DrBoost - what are the good conversion companies?  Mother-in-law is in the market for one of those Sprinter-based conversions and likes RoadTrek.

Thanks.

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
9/26/17 8:08 a.m.

That was close, I convinced Joey48442 not to buy my van.   I was getting that sellers remorse pit in my stomach just thinking of going without it.

Then I noticed that there are a few Monteros for sale right now.  So anyone else that may need a tow pig, kid hauler, or just a nice van that doubles as useful truck, let me know.

I'll get underside pictures at the next oil change, it is really solid and clean underneath.  It's a rust belt thing, you wouldn't understand.

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
9/26/17 8:10 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

Ha ha ha!  Glad I helped settle your stomach!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ye7byXVkn9eSsPOJcIID4ydVlbdwyiVrmujnJuLdCSUqjgSXWPSRvPQdo9JhlFW6