1 2
Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/19/19 6:06 a.m.

I was going to joke "the one that runs",  but I see those are all Toyota powered.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
10/19/19 6:28 a.m.

In my opinion, the ultimate elise may very well be a modded zzw30 mr2 spyder. 8/10 an elise stock for $3500-5000, add $10000 in mods and you have a Wicked little car. 2zz swap, k swap, turbo the stock engine, add some weight reduction (mostly free), some subtle suspension tuning and you have a weapon of a car that has cheap running costs, great availability, and a lighthearted vibe (like miata). But you’re all heard this spiel from me before. 

boxedfox
boxedfox Reader
10/19/19 8:49 a.m.

Easy, the Lotus Elan M100. Sure it was FWD and everything on that chassis leaked, but that twin cam Isuzu motor was brilliant and it handled like a dream.

mikell17
mikell17 New Reader
10/19/19 8:58 a.m.

It was always fun to see what the his sons would pull out of the Wirewheels trailer at the different events my son raced at in Florida   He's had some great cars through the years.

MrFancypants
MrFancypants New Reader
10/19/19 10:07 a.m.
boxedfox said:

Easy, the Lotus Elan M100. Sure it was FWD and everything on that chassis leaked, but that twin cam Isuzu motor was brilliant and it handled like a dream.

This car's styling has aged so well. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
10/19/19 1:06 p.m.

In reply to boxedfox :

wrong elan.  wink

although i do remember the kudos the third gen Elan got.  laugh

b13990
b13990 Reader
10/19/19 5:48 p.m.
Dr. Hess said As a guy in a rather hot V8 Mustang told me (regarding the Esprit):  "I've never seen anything pull away from me like that." 

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I mean, I like Esprits as much as just about anything out there, but I would think it would be pretty trivial to build a V8 Mustang that would out-accelerate an Esprit Turbo.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
10/20/19 1:02 p.m.

A good argument could be made that the best modern Lotus was the Tesla Roadster (original 2008 based on the Elise).  Same handling but faster than the stock Loti running on gas.  Too bad they haven't come down in price enough for me to seriously consider them - plus the issue of battery pack replacement is troubling/costly.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/11/23 10:48 a.m.
wspohn said:

A good argument could be made that the best modern Lotus was the Tesla Roadster (original 2008 based on the Elise).  Same handling but faster than the stock Loti running on gas.  Too bad they haven't come down in price enough for me to seriously consider them - plus the issue of battery pack replacement is troubling/costly.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/lotus-elise-vs-tesla-roadster/

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/11/23 11:00 a.m.

The best driver's car is definitely not my frankenstein Lotus! I believe I own the world's only automatic trans Europa. And also probably the only 12 second Europa.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
6/11/23 12:04 p.m.

In reply to wspohn :

I know their packs were made to be removable, and their last update was in 2019-2020 with additional charging if that helps. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/11/23 12:45 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

You were close enough to 11's that you would have been there if you had taken a dump after that afternoon burrito.

I think we can say 11's. wink

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
6/11/23 1:05 p.m.

Sigh, another question thread about a subjective topic, ensuring that there will be no definitive answer.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EUVxWmWEG7pA2iKGfBQteWvsvGv5OTITXStjB3wgZO1mzrEcvLOhokkqC7LrjgbS