1 2 3
simplecat
simplecat New Reader
1/7/18 3:32 p.m.

I've always been a huge fan of the z32, they're heavy, but beautiful. I think the only 90s jdm gt car that aged better was the FD rx7.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
1/7/18 3:57 p.m.

Current model looks like a lump of s..... and a heavy lump to boot.

By far the best was the earliest 240Z - guy I know had a 1969 production Z that he'd added a 5 speed to (ony available in the home market) and it was a beautiful sports car.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/18 4:30 p.m.

Loved my friends 260. That was a really fun sports car. I later got a 280zx turbo it was a great car but compared to the 260 it was a GT. Still fun and I loved both the interior and exterior styling of that car.  One of maybe a half dozen cars I have had over the years I want to get another one of. 

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
1/7/18 7:18 p.m.

How did you guys enjoy your project 350Z?

AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
1/7/18 9:09 p.m.

Japan offered three iconic supercar darlings during the ’90s: the Mazda RX-7, Toyota Supra and Nissan 300ZX. 

Cough, cough, NSX, cough, cough.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/18 9:56 p.m.

In reply to G_Body_Man :

The 350 and the 370 just don’t do it for me. When they came out I really wanted to like them. I tried. There is something missing/wrong in the styling.  I can not put my finger on it but I really don’t like the look of them.  Ok to drive but there is to much plain Jain econobox Nissan in them.  They need more Datsun styling put back in them. 

The first generation of the 300zx I liked. They actually made darn good  race cars. The second Jen 300s were not sports cars.  They were full on GT cars.  I would not kick one out of the driveway but the sports car dna from the originals was gone. 

What I have always wanted is for someone to make a modern interpretation of the old 240/260/280z cars. Something like the Eagle that was built as a nod to the jaguar E Type just do it for Miata /MX5 money. Nissan you out there?  You listening to me?  Take a que from the likes of the big three American manufacturers or how about VW? Retro has been selling and continues to sell.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/8/18 7:38 a.m.
AaronBalto said:

Japan offered three iconic supercar darlings during the ’90s: the Mazda RX-7, Toyota Supra and Nissan 300ZX. 

Cough, cough, NSX, cough, cough.

Cough cough, dramatically more expensive, cough cough

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
1/8/18 8:05 a.m.

as much as i love my z31 I'd have to go with a z32. The z31's had pretty dated suspension and the styling is hit and miss depending on who you talk to. The 350/370z's are fun but just dont do much for me. The datsun Z's are beautiful but im my opinion take a lot of work to get them work as good as they look. The z32 is the best looking of them all and, even with questionable reliability and difficulty to work on, have the potential for big, easy power.

shameless plug for my z31:

Flyman615
Flyman615
1/8/18 1:39 p.m.

I'll still take my 1970 2000 Roadster...wink 

SZ

Carsandbikes
Carsandbikes New Reader
1/8/18 2:10 p.m.

Owned a 280Z, a nice car for what it was.  I would think a 240Z would be even better, though the 280's fuel injection is icing on the cake.

The only ZX I like is the model from the early 90s. Like the first Zs, that car has a style that is enduring.

I suppose folks will point out that other models are better drivers, but I don't care. My "perfect" Z would be a 70s model with a 5 speed transmission.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/8/18 2:27 p.m.

I loved the z31 I had back when I joined the Navy. Drove that thing from great lakes to norfolk, running waaay to much boost with zero fuel management, a super loud 3" Blitz exhaust, and no spare tire. Looking back its amazing I even made it there, let alone drove it for another year after getting out there. Eventually the headgasket went in a gloriously epic display of steam & I sold it to a buddy for $1000

danvan
danvan GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/8/18 3:22 p.m.

The  S32 300 ZX for me still have a heavily modified 91 in my garage.  I think it's the car i will never sell.

I still vividly remember my dad's cobalt blue '78 280Z, 5-speed, no options other than factory up-sized alloy wheels and A/C (because Oklahoma summers). He owned it from new until 1985. In fact, he taught me how to drive a manual in that car. Then he sold and bought a new '86 Camaro Z28. But even at 16 I liked the Datsun better.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/8/18 3:26 p.m.
edizzle89 said:

as much as i love my z31 I'd have to go with a z32. The z31's had pretty dated suspension and the styling is hit and miss depending on who you talk to. The 350/370z's are fun but just dont do much for me. The datsun Z's are beautiful but im my opinion take a lot of work to get them work as good as they look. The z32 is the best looking of them all and, even with questionable reliability and difficulty to work on, have the potential for big, easy power.

shameless plug for my z31:

Love it! I had a white, '88 NA. But it still had the burgundy leather and digital dash and climate control. 

I beat on that car mercilessly through high school and first two years of college. 

westsidetalon
westsidetalon Reader
1/9/18 2:16 p.m.

I had the worst year which really hurt my early college years, a late 73 with the bad carbs and no heater blower motor. Thing was hard to start in Cleveland winters and no defrosters for the early morning commute. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/9/18 3:44 p.m.

Glad you enjoyed the piece, and that was a fun one to put together. The coolest part might have been driving Mr. K's personal Z. 

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Dork
1/9/18 4:29 p.m.

Great article! I prefer the 280Z but i'm biased. 

kanaric
kanaric Dork
1/9/18 5:58 p.m.

S30 zs.... 

If you have a 280z put euro/jdm bumpers on and you are good. 

Z32 was my childhood dream car but i'd take a RX7, Skyline or Supra now instead. 

300zxfreak
300zxfreak New Reader
7/20/18 12:50 p.m.

The actual answer to the question of which Z is the best is: Whatever one you happen to be driving at the moment.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/20/18 3:09 p.m.
300zxfreak said:

The actual answer to the question of which Z is the best is: Whatever one you happen to be driving at the moment.

Unless it’s an s30 2+2.  I cannot stand those

300zxfreak
300zxfreak New Reader
7/20/18 3:28 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :You could have a valid point there......

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
7/20/18 3:55 p.m.

My  brother had a 240Z which we really liked. Of course, I do have very fond memories of a 280ZX and its female owner :)

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
7/20/18 4:42 p.m.

in 1997  Nissan went out and bought a bunch of solid 240Zs and did a "Factory restore"

they were $25k or so  and less than 50 were restored......

I always loved the  early look , and the Baja race look even more :)

Steve
Steve New Reader
7/20/18 5:06 p.m.

Great article. I've driven them all and in stock form, the 240 is my favorite. However, my 1977 280Z with a small block chevy in it is my favorite "modified" version.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
7/22/18 10:06 a.m.

Looks like there is a big Japanese car show today at Peterson museum parking lot in LA , 

Just to let you know....

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y8rZF6i3iAHX0MrUbPVO46FWUTKIxhPvWm7o0p5tQiK2surYOP2ZHsHC8w4FDW4I