1 2
HiTempguy
HiTempguy PowerDork
5/28/16 7:36 p.m.

Thread from 2016:

I have a auzzie friend who is starting a company that imports cars from australia (how cool is that?!) It occurred to me that a 1/4 ton (midsize) diesel crewcab pickup that was readily available over there would be perfect for my needs. Does anyone on the boards know anything about the offerings over there? I believe Nissan, Toyota, and Ford all had their respective b-series, hardbodies, and rangers offered in this configuration with diesels. Any reason to go with one or another? Any wierd parts (besides the diesel stuff, of course) that couldn't be sourced from the north american models? What sort of mpg should I expect? I've self-imported a 1995 STi, so I know all about that stuff. Just curious on the actual trucks themselves.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
5/28/16 8:18 p.m.

Your rules in Canada allow 20 year old cars to be imported, correct? If you have any plans on reselling them in the US remember they need to be 25 years old here to avoid having to Federalize them.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
5/28/16 8:23 p.m.

All of them, I'll take a helix diesel with under 350k plz.......

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
5/28/16 8:56 p.m.

We can get them at 15 years. No point bringing them in and trying to get them to the US, unless you like seeing them crushed.

stuart in mn wrote: Your rules in Canada allow 20 year old cars to be imported, correct? If you have any plans on reselling them in the US remember they need to be 25 years old here to avoid having to Federalize them.
Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
5/28/16 9:13 p.m.

Patrol 4.2td http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1113037555

Land cruiser 70 80 100 series

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1114262851

Not sure a Navara would be worth the effort. Maybe a HiLux?

Note that cars ware generally very expensive here.

warpedredneck
warpedredneck Reader
5/29/16 5:08 a.m.

Where is he located?

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
5/29/16 8:44 a.m.
warpedredneck wrote: Where is he located?

HiTemp is in Alberta

HiTempguy
HiTempguy PowerDork
5/29/16 9:23 a.m.

I would just like to point out that out of all the replies, only one person apparently read the original post and provided any form of information that was requested. sigh. Thanks Nathan! Looks like gumtree is the auzzie equivalent of Kijiji or Craigslist, good to know!

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/29/16 10:09 a.m.

Toyota will be the best. They will be worth more on resale than any other brand.

revrico
revrico GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/29/16 10:24 a.m.

http://www.outbackimports.ca/sale.html

I know you guys are from Australia, and this place is bringing in trucks from Japan, but it could give you a better? idea of the market for the vehicles. Hopefully things are cheaper to do from Australia..

24k Canadian to start looking at a Hilux diesel that's pushing 30 years old. Maybe if I start saving a year ago, by the time I can get one stateside I could afford it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/29/16 11:19 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: Toyota will be the best. They will be worth more on resale than any other brand.

This.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/16 8:13 p.m.

Is this seriously a question? THIS ONE!

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/29/16 10:04 p.m.

Unless I'm missing something here it seems like Australia is the worse place to import something like that. The Holden and Ford offerings are going to be Utes with big gas motors. Anything in the form of smaller diesels are going to be Japanese imports. They pay a pretty good import tax on them to bring them into Australia which makes them pretty expensive there.

Now if you are looking for a modern el camino or ranchero with a v-8 or turbo inline 6, then you are in the right place.

The new ranger is still too new for even Canadian importation. There is actually a really big business importing and converting new f-250's for sale in Australia.

I wouldn't even look for a pickup in Australia.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/16 10:33 p.m.

I'd go right to Japan and order one of these. A crewcab with no miles thats old enought to import stateside. And a fire truck. What's cooler than owning your own fire truck.

http://www.japanesecartrade.com/stock/japan-used-toyota-dyna-truck-trucks-fire-fighting-truck-1127824.html

Chadeux
Chadeux Reader
5/30/16 2:59 a.m.

Only thing I'd want to get from Australia is this.

I don't see resale value in North America being very high. There's also the XR6 Turbo but it's too new.

pickstock
pickstock New Reader
5/30/16 4:34 a.m.

Don't know how many Asssies you guys have posting here. Not sure if you guys get the Toyota 70 series over there, comes in loads of body types(sorry only photo i could find easily)

Ive heard these are somewhat sort after in the US, tough as nails (these are what the mines and a lot of farmers use over here) i deal with a few with serious caravans

Others would be the Mitsubishi Triton, Ford Ranger (i do like the look of the wildtrack)/ Mazda BT50, Isuzu Dmax. I wouldn't bother with the Japanese import stuff, most of these you wouldn't find in japan.

Id be happy to have a chat if need be.

outasite
outasite Reader
5/30/16 8:31 a.m.

In reply to pick stock:

I will take one of those. Thank you

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/16 8:57 a.m.

Not a pickup, but still might be worth having and it's already on this continent.

1986 Diesel Isuzu Trooper

Edit: I just noticed it's not a 4 door. Never mind.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/30/16 10:11 a.m.

In reply to bmw88rider:

Umm... I'm pretty sure he's importing from Australia, not to.

While I agree about Toyotas, it seems to me Holden and Ford Utes have a better chance of making a decent profit on simply because no domestic equivalent is sold here (US or Canada).

While a diesel Toyota truck would be cool, the market would be limited to diesel enthusiasts who don't mind paying a premium for a truck that will end up being much more expensive than a domestic gas version. Plus, I fear finding a 15 year old diesel Toyota that hasn't been worked to death may be challenging.

pickstock
pickstock New Reader
5/31/16 6:33 a.m.
outasite wrote: In reply to pick stock: I will take one of those. Thank you

20 year old one, with a few mods for 16000 AUD

Hell if i could help with the exporting i would.

One thing to keep in mind is that Holden and Ford will be closing manufacturing in Australia in months, and we will have to deal with American vehicles (something i doubt many people have really thought about the impact of in regards to infrastructure)

While im happy to be proven wrong i would expect most of the units coming from mining to be fairly well taken care of (its not easy to deal with being stuck 3 hours from the nearest phone reception and normally gets workers offside)

heres a link to their current range of 70's

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/31/16 7:00 a.m.
HiTempguy wrote: I would just like to point out that out of all the replies, only one person apparently read the original post and provided any form of information that was requested. sigh!

That's because GRM responses are auto-generated like Craigslist spambots.

You typed "import". That auto-generates responses about 25 year rules. The only difference is that our spambots are powered by MegaSquirt.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/31/16 7:04 a.m.

...and the postings about 25 year rules trigger other spambot responses about crushing cars, which lead to the evils of government, political carnage, and eventual thread lock.

This is all your fault. Please refrain from posting such incendiary things as "import".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
5/31/16 7:05 a.m.

I will second the 70 series Landcruiser- the few that are over here trade hands for ridiculous $$$. The "most different" set of possible options on a Hilux would probably bring good money too (crew cab, 4x4, manual, diesel, etc.)

HiTempguy
HiTempguy PowerDork
5/31/16 8:22 a.m.
SVreX wrote: ...and the postings about 25 year rules trigger other spambot responses about crushing cars, which lead to the evils of government, political carnage, and eventual thread lock. This is all your fault. Please refrain from posting such incendiary things as "import".

LOL!

Also of note, people suggesting SUVs. Did I ask about those? Nope!

And the australia market is full of one off or ADM only vehicles, the crewcab 1/4 ton diesel (known as a ute) is a auzzie thing not readily available elsewhere, yes, including in Japan.

Wally, our local liberal-arts hippy rag has one of those as a delivery truck!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
5/31/16 8:56 a.m.

Would something like this Hilux float your boat?

Then again, it appears that the Fords like this one are cheaper, and it would be amusing to tell people you have a 1999 Courier

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NpWTkyzdmoLnonVPnQHaEtUS0pjUwiy3MNCe3m1frzWoE9v3cJTPLGB9gNjmdRzl