lrrs
lrrs Reader
9/14/17 5:21 p.m.

the stock header from the 95 subie ej22 back together,  I was wonder if any one here has a picture of a ej with the stock manifold or aftermarket header on backwards ?  Pipes cross at the timing belt end of the engine and not the flywheel end.

Trying to figure out a simple exhaust for my rear mounted ej.  So imagine the exhaust coming out the front of the Subaru. Its NA, but interested in turboed pics also. Google is not giving me what I need, only 500-1000 dollar vw buss conversion headers.

The original one need to get cut to pull the engine with out destroying all the manifold bolts and spending hours trying to remove the flange bolts. The plan was  to NOT use 90% of it.  Now I wish it did not get so many cuts so I could use it as a mock up....

Thanks,
Steve

Hal
Hal UltraDork
9/14/17 6:03 p.m.

No pic of the manifold, but I should see this car again on Sunday.  If he is there, I will ask Tim and get some info.  He and his uncle have also put EJ22's in a couple VW vans.

lrrs
lrrs Reader
9/14/17 6:16 p.m.

In reply to Hal :

I think his header is facing the normal way. To do that I will need to re-route my coolant lines,  at minimum the one on the passengers side in the pic.

The issue I might run into is there is a body brace bolted on that is where the exhaust may run on the flywheel side of the engine.

If you do run into them, ask them how they get full throttle. I am only getting about 50% with the beetle petal and subie throttle body combo.

Thanks!
Steve

Hal
Hal UltraDork
9/19/17 8:09 p.m.

Tim didn't come to the C&C last Sunday and I can't make the one next Sunday.  I did message him asking about the exhaust and this was his reply:

If it is the single port exhaust. You should be able to turn it around. But you need to weld it up to avoid the oil pan. Had to weld pipes to extend it further around the pan on mine.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/17 9:07 p.m.

I have an ej22 with headers on it from a rear mount conversion application, i'll see what's going on with it in the next couple days depending on work.  

lrrs
lrrs Reader
9/23/17 9:48 a.m.

I have something that looks like this on the way.

If it fits backwards it's going to be great. If it does not I will have to reroute one of my coolant lines, and completing the exhaust will be a bit tougher but either way it should work.

Well my phone won't let me paste anything in do this post so I guess your not going to get a look today.

Looks like the agency power header for a WRX 2002 to 9.

Thanks to all and I'd still love to see everybody else is set up.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
10/1/17 3:07 p.m.
lrrs said:

If you do run into them, ask them how they get full throttle. I am only getting about 50% with the beetle petal and subie throttle body combo.

Saw Tim and the car today.  For the throttle cable problem:  He made an elbow adapter to make the throttle body vertical rather than horizontal in order to clear the firewall.  That way he could bring the cable up from the bottom.  All that was needed then was to adjust the cable to the correct length.  He did say that it took some tinkering to get the proper length.

For the exhaust he fabricated a set up using the stock header for the base.  The driver side was cut where it starts to bend inward and had a u-bend added.  The passenger side was cut and pipe added to loop across the engine and join the driver's side at the u-bend.  This creates an unequal length exhaust similar to that used on other Subaru's and produces that unique Subaru sound.

Throttle body pic: 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uWl8qtCEv7trtHLXd1rfBoHekTeKS0XEPNvW16R3UzZs7P1gRpJ3NcUBmUcnW52M