1 2
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/17 5:05 p.m.

Getting back to working on my saab 900 spg and I was thinking of addressing the rims and tyres. 16inch rims are just about dead for decent tyre choices and I think that 17's might work well, even on such an old bodystyle. The trouble is, the rims I like, the OZ Racing Leggenda are only available in Flat Black or Gloss White.

I do not want to do "murdered out", while that look might look good, it's a pain to keep clean and might attract the wrong attention. What do people think of gloss white on a black car?

Here it is an on Black fiat 500

edit

Funny enough, I found a black SPG with white 17" rims. I think looks pretty nice

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
8/30/17 5:09 p.m.

I always thought it was a good look. Some wheel wax would help keep them clean.

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UberDork
8/30/17 5:10 p.m.

Sometimes that color combo works. Being OZ tilts it more in the looks good favor.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/17 5:16 p.m.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
8/30/17 5:27 p.m.

I like the white wheels. I've started to cringe every time I see black wheels - very over done and most detract from the cars look instead of enhance it

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone Reader
8/30/17 5:46 p.m.
oldtin wrote: I like the white wheels. I've started to cringe every time I see black wheels - very over done and most detract from the cars look instead of enhance it

Very over done is right.

I think with white on black, the style of the Fiat's wheels above are more suited than the Saab. Something about fewer, larger spokes on the wheel looks a little strange with white on black.

That's just my opinion though and I'm certainly no stylist. Go for what you like!

GeneMSP
GeneMSP New Reader
8/30/17 6:27 p.m.

I'm glad you mentioned 'gloss' white. I really don't mind black or white wheels as long as they are gloss.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
8/30/17 6:58 p.m.

I had them for track/autocross. They looked good buy boy did they get dirty fast, especially with any kind of aggressive brake pads....

Knurled
8/30/17 7:16 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

Brake dust is a badge of honor, though. I'm amused by how my drive to our local rallycross site makes my Volvo's silver wheels brown by the time I get there.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/17 10:50 p.m.
Double_Wishbone wrote: Very over done is right. I think with white on black, the style of the Fiat's wheels above are more suited than the Saab. Something about fewer, larger spokes on the wheel looks a little strange with white on black. That's just my opinion though and I'm certainly no stylist. Go for what you like!

well, the wheels that are on the fiat are what I am considering for my Saab, so we agree there. I think rally wheels suit the swede well considering the history they have in rallying.

Thankyou everyone, I was just unsure how it would look. I do not see white wheels on cars around here very often, so I had no metrics to go against in my decision.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
8/30/17 11:12 p.m.

Useless without a BTCC Dymag search. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=dymag+btcc&id=35FD735E9EB3A47100438B0DF79C502F033633BD&FORM=IQFRBA Actually that's a pretty crap first search except for the best action pic of a Cavalier you'll ever see.

collinskl1
collinskl1 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/31/17 6:33 a.m.

My winter wheels are white. I only got them because they were the cheapest available at the time, but I don't hate the look.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/31/17 8:03 a.m.
oldtin wrote: I like the white wheels. I've started to cringe every time I see black wheels - very over done and most detract from the cars look instead of enhance it

Plus eleventy bazillion. I hate black rims. I like white rims on many cars. I think they'd look good on a black car.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy New Reader
8/31/17 8:07 a.m.

They're not too bad.

I've also started to become a big fan of seeing bronze wheels on black cars. Idk why.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/31/17 8:33 a.m.

White wheels are best.

I am sticking with 15s on my Saab.

Tire rack shows 41 options for 16s with a number of summer performance options, that doesn't seem too limited.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
8/31/17 7:38 p.m.

It can be a very cool look, for sure.

Knurled
8/31/17 7:43 p.m.

Interesting that the best looking white wheels are the 5 spoke OZs or similar.

Also: Paging Jerry to thread 132424... IIRC when he bought his (black) Abarth, the dealership borrowed its wheels for a different vehicle and stuck the different car's white wheels on the one he was going to buy, and they told him that they'll put the "correct" wheels on it for him... and Jerry said (paraphrasing) "That there is phat like a sumo, leave it just like that"

So when you see a black Abarth with white wheels tooling around SW Ohio, know that it is because of a dealership mistake gone horribly right.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/6/18 4:09 a.m.

Zombie thread, canoe removed.

STM317
STM317 Dork
3/6/18 5:11 a.m.

This needs more pics

Related imageRelated image

Image result for black car white wheels

Related image

Related image

STM317
STM317 Dork
3/6/18 5:19 a.m.

Related imageRelated image

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
3/6/18 6:06 a.m.

I love a nice picture thread. I love that white wheel look..............but of course I like the black wheel look too if done correctly.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
3/6/18 10:10 p.m.

I thought white wheels would look neat with my white car.  I don't know if they did; after trying to keep the brake dust off I would never, ever do it again.

Note, this picture was taken before the wheels had ever turned a lap, and so didn't yet know what brake dust was in store for them.

amerson
amerson New Reader
3/7/18 1:18 a.m.

They don't look but they are a bit PITA to clean and maintain.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/7/18 8:41 a.m.

Another vote that white wheels on a black car can look really cool. 

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
3/7/18 8:57 a.m.

I need white wheels for the E61, now.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oRVmkuckDYVd138IkhaQJk3UFk3cAUEAejb6eXZA41X1SsHs5Ee9lNdsUxN7j68y