HotNotch
HotNotch New Reader
1/21/20 7:22 a.m.

Long time lurker here.

Who do we like for steering boxes?

Application is in my 1991 Toyota Extended Cab 4x4 pickup.  It's lifted and has long travel IFS, 35's, and a front locker, so not factory stock.

The factory box started leaking a while back, and I pulled it apart and resealed it.  It has always been vague and had lots of play.  After resealing it, it hasn't been able to hold an adjustment.  

Wheeled with it on Sunday and it bound up on the trail, and I nursed it home after I pulled the P/S belt.  Box is definitely bound up internally, and has lots of play on center buy doesn't want to turn more than ~ 1 turn.

I suspect that it's terminal.

Has anyone purchased or had a box rebuilt by RedHead? They seem to well reviewed in the diesel pickup world.

https://redheadsteeringgears.com/product/1989-1991-toyota-4x4-steering-gear/

I also have a used factory box available for $150 thru Car-Part, or a Cardone Re-man (thru Advance Auto) for basically the same price as the RedHead.

Not sure that I trust a factory used one, but wanted to sound it off the board here.

Truck in question:

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/21/20 7:46 a.m.

Ive heard great things about redhead.

On 2wd, agr has been my go to. Vintage mopar gets firm feel.

Skip a1 cardone. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
1/21/20 8:10 a.m.

Any ideas for an old non- power steering box from 1969s cars , 

It has a hard spot and a lot of slop,

Years ago there were shops that actually rebuilt steering boxes and did not just replace dead parts with better used parts

These shops welded up the worn parts and machined them back to stock specs , 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/21/20 8:12 a.m.

Ooo

Also old mopar, but i think they do all of them if still in business: steer and gear. Tey used to do manual boxes as well as power......

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/20 8:37 a.m.

I used to do a lot of business with Redhead, they are fantastic!

A1 Cardone does not actually rebuild their boxes, stay far far far away from them.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/21/20 8:42 a.m.

Cardone is garbage.  I seek out used stuff way before I buy rebuilt.

Think of it this way- You are going to give them your steering box as a core, they are going to put a seal in it and sell it back to you.  Does that seem like a good plan?

Curtis73
Curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/21/20 9:34 a.m.

Not sure about other applications, but AGR's stuff for GM is well-documented as complete junk.  I don't know if it ever came to fruition, but some Impala SS guys did a group purchase of some AGR boxes, complained about them for three months, then one of them failed explosively and put a guy in the hospital and totaled his SS.  They tried to get a class action suit going and not sure if they ever did.

IMO, the best box is a factory box.  car-part.com or LKQ.  Find a box with low miles and bolt it in.  I would sooner put a used box with 100k on it than anything rebuilt

sergio
sergio Reader
1/21/20 9:49 a.m.

http://www.adcopower.net/

Been using these guys in Houston since the 80's. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5osEEthRaKN1nF6Kbwi9ctMK3mRINTnGdyDfCVRSYLnjkz6EYMNK97Z87CtiNpKL