1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 38
93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/21/17 4:15 p.m.

Not a new user at all but I haven't been active on the forum in who knows how long due to a combination of buying a house, having other hobbies, having a super stressful job and losing said super stressful job. But I have started a new job and my automotive love has been stirring recently so I figured I would jump back in.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
11/22/17 8:25 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

Great to have you back, man! Congrats on the new job.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/22/17 8:58 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

Welcome back! laugh

offroadwine
offroadwine None
11/28/17 11:30 a.m.

I've been poking around a lot, and reading the mag since around 1994, after Tim showed up at a Texas Region SCCA autocross at the now-gone Texas Stadium in Irving. After a long time playing around with various toys (lots of 510s, a '91 Sentra SE-R, a 1st-Gen Integra and my wife's '98 Corvette) I'm through with off-roading and back with an NA Miata and an '06 Volvo S40, T-5 AWD manual. Both the current floggers were bought from first owners, the Miata from my father-in-law with 19k miles, 37k now, and the Volvo from a friend's mom with 211k on it, about 222k now.

Time and budget permitting, both are getting small goodies, but we currently live on a rough dirt and gravel road, so both have to stay at stock ride height.

I've been in the automotive business most of my adult life, with a short break due to a no-compete agreement after selling my shop a few years ago, but that's done and I'm back in the fringes. It's nice to be back.

Ed Higginbotham
11/29/17 3:46 p.m.

A 37,000-mile NA Miata? Wow. 

Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy it here. Let's see that Miata!

DixonL2
DixonL2 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/5/17 10:05 p.m.

Hey all, just (re)joined, and with a black 1996 Volvo 850R, a 1990 Miata (in "of course it's" red, from its first owner), and a 2006 mini Cooper S, I self-identify as a "car guy"... likely going ot start a thread about the new-to-me  850R at some point, bought it supposedly with all the work done, so I hope it's a short thread, as I don't want to do much more (but it's a Volvo...)

Ed Higginbotham
12/6/17 8:20 a.m.

Welcome, DixonL2! Sounds like quite the collection. Looking forward to seeing the Volvo.

OldsCool
OldsCool New Reader
12/10/17 7:22 a.m.

New here from NE GA, about 10 minutes from Road Atlanta. I was a mag subscriber years ago but recently reupped with the Black Friday deal. I've been getting the itch for a Miata lately. I've never owned one but I'll possibly be looking to buy one in the next couple months. I may be leaning on you guys for advice, suggestions or good leads in the near future.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
12/10/17 10:15 a.m.

glad you are here,  I  live off 575n   at Ball Ground, pretty much a Straight shot west. we also have  GRM'rs  so no doubt you are in Miata Heaven and Fiero Club Members all around you, Charlie is in Auburn  Paul is outside Commerce and and a couple others scattered around Gwinett Co.  I know you said Miata but that's ok we like all kinds of people.  small club nice people, gafiero.org    wow sounds like I am trying to get the Fiero FIRE  going.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon None
12/10/17 7:40 p.m.

Just signed up for the forum and have been around racing my entire life having grown up in a racing family. My dad has done autocross,dirt oval racing,ice racing,and some drag racing. My great grandfather raced in the first road race in Edmonton with a standard vanguard at the Edmonton international airport when it was being built. My grandfather actually raced his 62 oldsmobile starfire convertible in the highway 14x drag races here. Most of my racing here has been dirt racing ,dirt late models in particular and I help my friend on his dirt late model. I have gotten to drive a couple of other friends cars at the fun days,a dirt late model and a 360 sprint car.

Ed Higginbotham
12/11/17 9:41 a.m.

In reply to MotorsportsGordon :

Welcome! Glad to have you here! 

DanVolvo
DanVolvo New Reader
12/18/17 1:14 p.m.

In reply to DixonL2 :

As a fellow Volvo krazy.  (I've been into volvo's since 1981) Welcome, we do want to know more about the 850, even if WWD

J0nesy
J0nesy New Reader
12/20/17 6:35 a.m.

Been lurking on the forum for a while now, and finally decided to sign up.  Started a build thread for my 63 Bel Air.

I'm located in Northern Kentucky.  Mainly been into off road trucks the past several years. And now transitioning into the classic car realm. 

Other vehicles in the fleet

08 Pontiac G8 GT

06 Chevy 2500HD

03 Toyota Sequoia 

06 Honda VTX1300

Toyota off road truck

95 Jeep Grand Cherokee - farm vehicle

93 Subaru wagon - beater rally car

Nugi
Nugi None
12/28/17 9:55 a.m.

Another longtime lurker. Found GRM thanks to having more relevant car posts than the various model specific forums when I searched. Eventually just came straight here. Now, here I am, fed up with yelling corrections at my screen, so I figured I would actually contribute!

Anyway, I have done Autox, hdpe, drag, and 4x4 trails, and have a few motorbikes for nicer days in the mountains where I call home. I rock all brands of car, but trend 80s-90s Japanese due to cost and quality, and pre 70s murcian iron and anything Ghia (except you know who, I won't name names!). I know an embarrassing amount about the 'golden era' hondas, namely the 4 wheel double wishbone era from 88-01. 

I will post all my guitar and bass gear in the correct thread, but suffice to say I have plenty, and play, record, and produce music for fun. I am good with electronics, decent with machines, and feel like I am starting to really understand suspension geometry and shock curves. And looking at many designs, this now horrifies me. It was like suddenly being able to hear people singing out of tune, in a world of speeding kereoke bars.

I hope to be able to add to the discussion here, with both technical acumen, and rambling rants, and unwavering support of anyone trying to make a terrible car useful. Even if that use isn't very, or even faintly, practical. Trebant rally car? Do it! LeCar dragster? Yes please. Autozam Pre-Runner? I'll grab the mig... When they talk about tempting the devil, I think they sometimes just mean me. You have been warned, and uhh... howdy!

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
12/28/17 5:09 p.m.

Well you sound Normal to me, So Welcome ,  Oh And Hang on, There are several Pickers here too.

rover215
rover215
1/8/18 10:57 p.m.

New to the forum and just got a 1987 BMW 325e with who knows how many miles. Needs more than it's share of regular maintenence, but seems to run well and brake well. I was an unpaid grunt at the now defunct Power Plant way back in 1993-95 (mostly BMW work, but also Mercedes, Ferrari, Porsche, anf the occasional oddball). 

I am not a mechanic but I can turn a wrench with the help of a manual and forums/ interwebs. I used to be more involved with the car world but it's been years. I have grandiose hopes of turning this rough e30 into a fun daily driver by removing the good but worn out M20, putting a K24a2 Honda motor. I'll need help ;)

Anyways, GRM seems like a great place to bounce ideas and find solutions to any number of obstacles I'll run into. I might annoy some people with basic questions, but I'll try to keep them to a minimum. I hear there's a "search" box where I can find the answers to common questions. 

Ed Higginbotham
1/9/18 9:41 a.m.

A K-swapped E30? Is that as crazy/awesome/unusual as it sounds or is there a whole section of Bimmerforums I've just never stumbled upon before?

Welcome, rover!

8valve
8valve New Reader
1/9/18 11:34 a.m.

First car I spun was an e30.  K swap e30 sounds like it'd be an amazing combo.  How would you get that mated up though? With s2k bits? Guess that is another thread..

So Vigo told me I should sign up here.  I'm drawn to junk from '85-95, both 2 and 4 wheel.  Been tinkering with 2 wheel stuff lately but looking to get back into 4.

Ed Higginbotham
1/9/18 12:43 p.m.

Welcome, 8valve! Sounds like you found a good internet home here.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/9/18 12:59 p.m.

Welcome!

rover215
rover215 New Reader
1/10/18 1:42 a.m.

In reply to 8valve :

Kmiata makes an adapter for 3 different 5/6 speed transmissions that came stock in BMW's. My stock Getrag 260 is one of them. S2K intake is poop, but I'd just keep it stock and see if I'd want more out of it. 205hp stock seems pretty nice to me. 

Welcome to the forum!

8valve
8valve New Reader
1/12/18 4:29 p.m.

Same to you, welcome!  Seems a fun forum so far.

Nice that an off the shelf adapter is out there.  I've seen some pretty nutty RWD K swaps on the youtubes.  A certain nutty k20 NSX comes to mind..

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 None
1/16/18 2:28 p.m.

Well, hi there! I had a bunch of free time over the holidays and ended up reading through some super-fun build threads here. Figured it was time to join the conversations myself, too.

Not new to motorsports, got into autocross (with BRR-SCCA) and HPDE (with NASA Mid-Atlantic) in college and the road racing bug bit me pretty quickly. Went from a 95 Miata to a host of E36 M3pile BMWs, to a Focus ST, to some nicer BMWs, some tow rigs, and here we are. Been working for NASA-MA for ten years now (jeez) and driving for about 6 - did my HPDE in the Miata, blew it up a few times, then purchased an E36 M3 sedan that took me through three years of Time Trial and so far, a year of GTS2 racing. Can't wait for 2018 and am already broke due to preparations.

Working on a move into DC proper, so I ditched my F150 for a supercharged Range Rover. It's hilariously fast, much easier to park everywhere, and tows about as well as the Ford did.

I write about all of my motorsports-y endeavors on a blog I created with a friend called Out Motorsports. I'm sure some of the same tales will get told here too and am glad to be part of the community. Car people are the best people.

Ed Higginbotham
1/16/18 2:44 p.m.

Welcome! I miss running with the NASA Mid-Atlantic group. Great group of folks. We'll be up in your neck of the woods for the UTCC/Hyperfest.

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 New Reader
1/16/18 3:11 p.m.
Ed Higginbotham said:

Welcome! I miss running with the NASA Mid-Atlantic group. Great group of folks. We'll be up in your neck of the woods for the UTCC/Hyperfest.

I need to put some names to faces - I used to be one of the "green shirts" on golf carts helping with Hyperfest, but in recent years have been announcing and occasionally driving photographers around in Cobetto's F350 for the UTCC photoshoot :-)

1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 38

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RYN0hGzfeB57Hl4FVXezRVwQ4kpgoHJSrk11EkeJe72jnnzyh7RNPGsccohHGW6G