John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/20/08 10:34 a.m.

I have a buddy who has a line on a 2001 Audi A6 3.0L V6 with what is reported as a bad engine. The car has aftermarket springs, new tires and the automatic.

I have looked at it and the timing belts are still attatched but the owner swears it broke one. I was going through the owners service records and noticed last year there was a quote for the right side catalytic converter (from a low flow situation)

Our techs don't want to mess with it for some reason which has me a little scared, but the customer has been a pain in the past, so I bet they are covering their asses instead of putting in $6000.00 worth of engine and finding out it just had a bad cat.

Anyone have any experience with these?

John Brown
5/20/08 11:28 a.m.

It is actually an A4 3.0L V6 (I just walked past it and realized I made a mistake)

timo
timo New Reader
5/20/08 12:02 p.m.

Check out http://www.dubsinthebuff.com/forum/. Lots of VW/Audi expertise there.

16vCorey
16vCorey None
5/20/08 3:19 p.m.

If it's an '01 it should be a 2.8l. If it did actually break the timing belt, they generally bend the intake valves and don't really hurt anything else. Once you take the nose off(which you pretty much have to do the do the belts) there's plenty of room to work and they're not bad at all to take apart. So worst case, $1000 for an engine, or $15 a piece for intake valves, $100 for a complete headgasket kit, and $220 for the complete timing belt kit.

Tyler_H
Tyler_H GRM+ Member
5/20/08 3:22 p.m.

What can you get it for?

John Brown
5/20/08 3:28 p.m.

It is a 3.0L (t code) it REALLY does not look like it is the timing belt unless a tensioner terded and it jumped time. I can get it for cheap enough to Challenge it but I am third in line and am FLAT broke. (Buy my crap).

I would rather see it as a driver/autocrosser.

16vCorey
16vCorey Reader
5/21/08 11:51 a.m.

A lot of times when the timing belt goes on those it just strips the teeth off around the crankshaft gear, so it wouldn't look broken until you pulled the crank pulley and timing cover off. Take one of the top timing covers off and tap the key or turn the crank with a socket and see if the cam moves. Oh, and I'm pretty sure that '02 is was the first year for the 3.0l.

John Brown
5/21/08 11:57 a.m.

It is a 2002, I had printed out the Elsa/Otis on it and saw the build date and got it in my mind that it was an '01 A6 when it is an '02 A4.

I will take some photos tomorrow and check the belt.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NfZVDCtnD92oW4o0SZ80aHIVhnqTVVzti67Ms1hYIIhMbQfW9yOVwDgVbh6RUdtd