1 2 3 4
ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
11/7/18 2:35 a.m.
John Welsh said:

The Echo came first but it is the mechanical basis and same drivetrain as the original Scion xB and xA. Great 1.5L.

Nothing fancy. Nary a do-dad to be found. 

Super reliable and efficient. Via Scion there are even some mods available to make it sort of sporty. 

Echo as GRM Challenge car

Funny, I posted twice in that very thread!

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/7/18 4:34 a.m.

Yaris?

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
11/7/18 5:44 a.m.

Are we talking new or used cars?  If we're talking used, how far back do you want to go?  Kerosene headlamps and crank start? 

For new cars, I wonder if there are any on the market at all that don't have power windows/locks and a/c as standard anymore?  Doesn't even the most basic Mirage and Versa have them?  I had a '18 Versa Note SV as a rental just a few weeks ago, and it had a high def back up camera, 3 blink signal, and bluetooth streaming music along with text reading capability.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
11/7/18 6:28 a.m.

In reply to Klayfish :

The thread thus far has been exactly where I wanted it to be with the recommendations given. Without me even mentioning it they seem to have gotten the budget about right as well. So no, no early 1940’s sedans. And nothing so new it had backup cameras as a rental and the ability to read my texts.

Sorry, I thought the way the thread was going it was clear. I’ll be more specific from now on.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
11/7/18 6:51 a.m.

Cool.  I was being tongue in cheek with my first comment, I got the idea of where the thread was going.

If you're ruling out new or just about new cars and going for something built in this millennium, when were the last Civic DX cars with roll up windows, etc...built?  Had to be in the '00s I'd think...if you can find one.  The Versa isn't as bad of a car as some of the others that would be a similar price...such as the Mirage (that car is truly a penalty box).  I'd say the same for cars like the Spark.  Any used Hyundai/Kia is a great bargain, the Rio or Accent aren't terrible cars.  I actually like the look of the older Accent 3 door hatchback, pretty sharp car for being so cheap...

octavious
octavious Dork
11/7/18 6:54 a.m.

So large production number but few options, or available with few options?  

Ford Mustang 6cyl manual, roll up windows, etc.  Been around FOR-EV-ER with manuals in the 6cyls 8cyls,  and 4cyls (fox body and 2019) 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
11/7/18 7:07 a.m.

In reply to octavious :

That’s EXACTLY what I’m slowly setting my sights on. That would satisfy almost all of my wants and needs especially after I get snow tires.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
11/7/18 7:39 a.m.
octavious said:

So large production number but few options, or available with few options?  

Ford Mustang 6cyl manual, roll up windows, etc.  Been around FOR-EV-ER with manuals in the 6cyls 8cyls,  and 4cyls (fox body and 2019) 

When was the last time the Mustang was offered with roll up windows?  Would have had to be a Fox...an earlier one at that??  The later Fox cars didn't have a V6 option, I don't think...it was either the horrid 2.3L 4 banger or the five-oh.  The '94 had the V6 option, but it was the crappy 3.8L, and not sure you could get them in manual windows/locks?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/18 9:03 a.m.
Klayfish said:

Cool.  I was being tongue in cheek with my first comment, I got the idea of where the thread was going.

If you're ruling out new or just about new cars and going for something built in this millennium, when were the last Civic DX cars with roll up windows, etc...built?  Had to be in the '00s I'd think...if you can find one.  The Versa isn't as bad of a car as some of the others that would be a similar price...such as the Mirage (that car is truly a penalty box).  I'd say the same for cars like the Spark.  Any used Hyundai/Kia is a great bargain, the Rio or Accent aren't terrible cars.  I actually like the look of the older Accent 3 door hatchback, pretty sharp car for being so cheap...

These are awesome cars and Seth & I are both shocked they’ve not been campaigned in rallyx(or stage rally). My step-son has a 2010 w/manual windows & locks, though it does have a/c, ps & a CD player. I believe a/c was optional, but I’m not sure about p/s. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
11/7/18 9:08 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

There was a pretty successful (I think) earlier Accent running in DC RallyX for a while.  The model posted above would be on my list if I were interested in building a fwd rally car.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
11/7/18 9:11 a.m.

In reply to Klayfish :

SN95s had manual locks and windows but I've only seen them in pictures of a '95 Cobra R. I'm sure some of the early v6 cars were ordered that way.

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
11/7/18 9:17 a.m.

Up to the 6th Generation (96-00) Civics (maybe all Hondas?) if you stay out of the EX trim line, not sure if those fancy things became standard on the 7th gen. 

My 98 DX hatchback has a manual transmission, roll up windows, manual locks - not even an in-car release for the hatchback, and manual rearview mirrors.  Only options are AC, power steering, and an AM/FM radio (since upgraded).  I love the simplicity.  

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/7/18 9:20 a.m.

The Chevy Spark are hilariously base trim optioned.... steel wheels, no cruise control, manual windows, manual transmission............. and a 7 inch color touch screen with android auto/apple carplay..

johndej
johndej HalfDork
11/7/18 9:49 a.m.

Funny enough Dodge Darts can be had with very low options. I rode in one that a new hire had gotten right out of school dirt cheap. They didn't realize till a bit later there was no AC.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/7/18 10:00 a.m.
Daylan C said:

In reply to Klayfish :

SN95s had manual locks and windows but I've only seen them in pictures of a '95 Cobra R. I'm sure some of the early v6 cars were ordered that way.

I have a 97 in my yard with roll up windows. Decontented doesn't even begin to describe that car. 

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
11/7/18 10:09 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Oh good, so they do exist in the wild when i finally get ready to build a sketchy drag car and want it light.

aw614
aw614 Reader
11/7/18 10:30 a.m.

Couldn't you get a 4th gen camaro with a V8, manual and roll up windows? 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
11/7/18 10:41 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:
Daylan C said:

In reply to Klayfish :

I have a 97 in my yard with roll up windows. Decontented doesn't even begin to describe that car. 

What is the fate of that ‘97 may I ask?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
11/7/18 10:46 a.m.

Nissan has produced very basic stripper versions of their trucks.  They have a Frontier version now running $19kish.   

Other than that,  Echo and Yaris would be my suggestion.      

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
11/7/18 10:48 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:
Klayfish said:

These are awesome cars and Seth & I are both shocked they’ve not been campaigned in rallyx(or stage rally). My step-son has a 2010 w/manual windows & locks, though it does have a/c, ps & a CD player. I believe a/c was optional, but I’m not sure about p/s. 

I had one.  At the time my commute was 35 minutes of 75 mph pretty much the whole time.  It was terrible for that.  Mostly, it just didn't have a high enough top gear.  The engine was spinning crazy fast on the highway.  IIRC it was close to 4,000 RPM at 75 mph.  Eventually, it hydroplaned on that same commute and spun around so fast I don't think I ever even countersteered.  Slid right into those median cables and lost the fight.  RIP.

Edit:  It was a 5 speed by the way.  I can't imagine driving one with an automatic.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
11/7/18 11:01 a.m.

In reply to bigeyedfish :

I need something that’s a comfortable highway car as well as competent on backroads. A little fun wouldn’t be bad. Low-optioned manual V6 Mustangs sounds good for that.

java230
java230 UltraDork
11/7/18 11:46 a.m.

I loved my 5th gen (91-95) civic hatch. Roll up windows, manual locks, damn good all around car. And it had a tailgate!

pirate
pirate Reader
11/7/18 11:59 a.m.

I would have to say the early Ford Taurus ( think jelly bean round everywhere) would have to fit the description. You could buy a very plain Jane models all the way up to a fully optioned model. The company I worked for bought plain Jane models for the sales guys and company cars for various other uses. Other then being an automatic with A/C and base radio they had no options. Company mandated sales guy have proper maintenance done and then replace them just under 100 K miles sometimes keeping a couple until the wheels were about to fall off for local use and errands.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/7/18 12:06 p.m.
bigeyedfish said:
Pete Gossett said:
Klayfish said:

I had one.  At the time my commute was 35 minutes of 75 mph pretty much the whole time.  It was terrible for that.  Mostly, it just didn't have a high enough top gear.  The engine was spinning crazy fast on the highway.  IIRC it was close to 4,000 RPM at 75 mph.  Eventually, it hydroplaned on that same commute and spun around so fast I don't think I ever even countersteered.  Slid right into those median cables and lost the fight.  RIP.

Edit:  It was a 5 speed by the way.  I can't imagine driving one with an automatic.

That whole "I want to spin and kill you!" aspect is what makes it great for rallycross. 

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/7/18 12:22 p.m.

Mazda 2 or Ford Fiesta.  I just spent 6.5 hours on track with our 2011 Fiesta race car in Lemons last weekend and it has no frills at all!  wink  We were getting 2 hour stints on 8 gallons of fuel. 

They're basic and affordable, yet actually pleasant to drive.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YoO8aXLAp4B2kyyLWGRtTqZF7uKQ7WwKYXwlzSjMjsumrm0l0cQOGN9Z0v5MFH6a