1 2 3
Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
10/10/18 3:10 p.m.
failboat said:

I would have guessed Fu Manchu would have been pretty high up on the list at least. 

.......aaaand there you have it. They arent even on lyrics.com therefore not included in the study. 

I came here to post this! Almost EVERY Fu Manchu song has something to do with cars. I mean, come on...

-Superbird

-Hell on Wheels

-King of the Road

-Boogie Van

-Asphalt Risin'

-Burning Road

-Trackside Hoax

-Show and Shine

-Drive

-Mongoose

Their album covers are also pretty sweet. Almost all of them are car-related. Hell, I bought King of the Road on the cover alone!!! VANATHON!!!!

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
10/10/18 3:22 p.m.

ZZ Top has a few. Here's one of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZRbXkiTypU

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
10/10/18 3:24 p.m.

I need to buy some fu manchu records now just because of the covers. 

I bought this Talib Kweli album half on the basis that the cover is pretty badass, it nothing has to do with cars but its a great record none the less;

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
10/10/18 3:38 p.m.

Deep Purple

Space Truckin’ kinda but Highway Star is fantastic.

”Nobody gonna take my car
I'm gonna race it to the ground
Nobody gonna beat my car
It's gonna break the speed of sound
Oooh it's a killing machine
It's got everything
Like a driving power big fat tires
And everything”

”I love it and I need it
I seed it
Eight cylinders all mine
Alright hold on tight
I'm a highway star”

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/10/18 4:04 p.m.

Let's not forget Jim Croce's "Rapid Roy that Stock Car Boy".

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
10/10/18 4:06 p.m.

They don't sing too much about cars but there seems to be a fair bit of Mopar content in their albums and videos.

These are three excellent albums BTW

68TR250
68TR250 Reader
10/10/18 4:29 p.m.

Jan and Dean?  Career cut short though by Dead Man's Curve

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/18 5:03 p.m.
SaltyDog said:

ZZ Top has a few. Here's one of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZRbXkiTypU

I remember seeing an interview with Billy Gibbons in the 80's where he was asked a question about how their songs mostly objectified women. His response was "...umm...we sing about cars too."

Jamiroquai! Jay Kay is a true gearhead and a rockstar, which is always a fun combo.

te72
te72 Reader
10/10/18 10:08 p.m.
irish44j said:

Ric Ocasek.

Every song he sang had the Cars involved ;)

I don't care what the actual truth is, you win this debate. Well played sir, well played.

te72
te72 Reader
10/10/18 10:10 p.m.

I'd risk showing my geek side here, but pretty much every song by the band M.O.V.E. was car themed. May or may not be your taste, but I like them.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
10/10/18 10:20 p.m.

The members of Odd Future feature a lot of car content in their work.

Frank Ocean has a McLaren F1 Longtail, McLaren F1 GTR, Gulf-livery Aston DBR9 and an E30 M3 in the video for Nikes. His song American Wedding has a line about a fox body 5.0 and the cover of the mixtape also features an 87+ 5.0 liftback. Acura Integurl is about his 1991 NSX, Commes de Garcon has a line about a freaking Sauber C9 and The Channel Orange booklet has an E39 540i Touring in it. He also owns a few E30s including one he converted to right hand drive.

Earl Sweatshirt has a 2-door VW Quantum in the video for Hive and he named his sub-label Tan Cressida.

Tyler, The Creator references the E46 in his song Tamale, 2Seater uses BMWs and Benzes to illustrate relationships.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
10/11/18 1:01 a.m.

Also from Sir Mix-A-Lot (Sprung On the Cat): "Brother named Dave in a Corvette, had a job at the UPS. I ain't dissin' cuz UPS pays money, but Dave wants to kick it with the honeys. We all know a Corvette only got two seats, but Dave wasn't listenin' to me."

Hey Hotrod by Clint Black (one of my all-time favorite car songs): "Down at the strip you see 'em waitin' in line. Lay down the rubber, let the motors unwind. Don't matter whether you can drive it that good if you ain't got it revvin' under the hood."

105 by Fred Eaglesmith: "I like to drive at a hundred and five. It's just how fast I've got to go. I've got the gears and I've got the motor, got no reason to go slow."

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
10/11/18 1:22 a.m.

And, of course, Vanilla Ice was so happy about rollin' in his 5.0 in "Ice, Ice Baby" that he did a whole nother song about it. 

StuntmanMike
StuntmanMike New Reader
10/11/18 6:57 a.m.

In reply to Ram50Ron :

Let's not forget "my hooptie" that I think we can all relate to at some point in our lives!

One of his lines that always sticks in my head is "87 Vette with a fat gas pedal!"

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/11/18 8:08 a.m.

Neil Young: Long May You Run  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zjxz90hLYtw

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/11/18 8:42 a.m.

seems like Gaslight Anthem / Brian Fallon trying pretty hard to be the new Bruce Springsteen with car references.

unrelated to gaslight anthem, one of my all-time favorite car references is public enemy "ya gonna get yours"

Suckers to the side, i know you hate my ninety-eight

wspohn
wspohn Dork
10/11/18 12:20 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

I don't know.  What about Richard Thompson.  A long line of automotive related songs and lyrics.

1952 Vincent black lightning

MGB-GT

You dream too much (lyric 'She's got a chassis like an XJ-S'

Actually, that's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure there's more.

That's who I immediately thought of, too.  Not sure likening a woman to an XJS is a compliment - weighty but smooth?  Well, maybe...

Keith Tanner
10/11/18 12:31 p.m.

Grace with pace?

For the longest time, I could not understand why someone would write a song about a mediocre Pontiac. Seriously. For years this puzzled me.

Like a G6 - Far East Movement

ShinnyGroove
ShinnyGroove New Reader
10/11/18 3:23 p.m.

I was pretty shocked when I read Springsteen's biography and learned that he has driven a car exactly once in his life, and doesn't even have a drivers license.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
10/11/18 4:27 p.m.
ShinnyGroove said:

I was pretty shocked when I read Springsteen's biography and learned that he has driven a car exactly once in his life, and doesn't even have a drivers license.

That to me, if true, lines up perfectly with the hypocrisy of many celebrities I’ve learned about in my 48 years on this planet.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/11/18 4:37 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:
ShinnyGroove said:

That to me, if true, lines up perfectly with the hypocrisy of many celebrities I’ve learned about in my 48 years on this planet.

I'm almost certain that this is incorrect. 

BTW, best Bruce song? Also a car song: Racing in the Streets

alfabeach
alfabeach New Reader
10/11/18 4:53 p.m.

Jan & Dean

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
10/11/18 5:45 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

For the longest time, I could not understand why someone would write a song about a mediocre Pontiac. Seriously. For years this puzzled me.

Hey, I like the (Pontiac) G6, but I thought that was a reference to a plane.

Keith Tanner
10/11/18 5:52 p.m.
Suprf1y said:
Keith Tanner said:

Well, I know that now. I'm a lot more aware of cars than private jets, it turns out. It makes more sense that it's about a plane but it's a lot funnier if you think it's about a car. I figured that Pontiac had scored the greatest artist sponsorship deal ever.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
10/11/18 10:50 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Suprf1y said:
Keith Tanner said:

Well, I know that now. I'm a lot more aware of cars than private jets, it turns out. It makes more sense that it's about a plane but it's a lot funnier if you think it's about a car. I figured that Pontiac had scored the greatest artist sponsorship deal ever.

I always knew that it was intended to be about a plane, but it was much funnier to assume that they were singing about a mediocre Pontiac, and that the plane reference was just a coincidence. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
loi6pMEwBEnZ0vgBKt4HiblP5FIJOUD08nhaWDwGDJR7J50xKVKbcvCqHoGhz7aB