914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/8/11 12:42 p.m.

I couldn't find the original thread, but have since found these. Looks like it's spliced into the steering column.

http://www.racereadyproducts.com/steering-components/pro-lite-steering-quickner/

Whoda guessed?

Dan

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
12/8/11 12:44 p.m.

Is this universal?

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
12/8/11 12:45 p.m.

I've read that this can strip if too much tire or upon rough road conditions. I have no idea if that is true.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Reader
12/8/11 12:52 p.m.

I've been curious about steering quickeners for a while now. I've read conflicting reports about their effect on steering feel etc. Anyone here have direct experience?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
12/8/11 12:56 p.m.

Have one but it's not installed.

Roundy round racers use them.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/8/11 12:58 p.m.

Old tech, but if you shortened the column, moved the box back and lengthened the pitman arm, wouldn't that change the ratio?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
12/8/11 1:05 p.m.

Also increases play in the steering system :(

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
12/8/11 1:08 p.m.

The local FWD VW auto-X'ers use these on power steering racks with electric pumps. Turns them into manageable 1 turn lock to lock cars.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
12/8/11 3:14 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Old tech, but if you shortened the column, moved the box back and lengthened the pitman arm, wouldn't that change the ratio?

Yeah, but you have to change the idler arm length to match and there will be some steering geometry weirdness at large angles. I'd use the quickener instead.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
12/8/11 3:21 p.m.

I just remembered there's an SMF CRX (340whp) in these parts that has a quickener. The guys who run it says it takes more effort but is worth it, father and son duo and the son likes it more than the father.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
12/8/11 4:40 p.m.

I believe Andy Nelson has one on the Fiat. I haven't driven it since it's been installed, so I have no idea what it's like. Maybe he'll see this and chime in.

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
12/8/11 4:58 p.m.

Speedway Motors

sprints and roundy round, lightweight n cheap at 90 bills or go HD for buck n a half

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/SMALL-BODY-21-STEERING-QUICKENER,8280.html

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/8/11 7:25 p.m.
16vCorey wrote: I believe Andy Nelson has one on the Fiat. I haven't driven it since it's been installed, so I have no idea what it's like. Maybe he'll see this and chime in.

Yep. That's what put his monstrously overpowered contraption within striking distance of the win after the autox the year the sucker vette won (drags were rained out).

CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
12/8/11 8:49 p.m.

Does anyone have photos of one of these installed? We seriously need to quicken up the steering on the RallyTruck and have been considering this for a while.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Dork
12/8/11 8:55 p.m.

No pictures but have used them before. There availible in two ratio's 1.5 and 2.0 they come in a couple difrent types the good ones use a planitary gear set up very little back lash. the housing need to be held solidly.

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
12/9/11 8:57 a.m.

These have been around for a long time. On old fashioned cars, lengthening the pitman arm or shortening the steering arms will reduce the number of turns.
I found on some cars, the difference in the ratio for PS and non is in the length ot the arms. If you have bolt on arms, QED. Part of the knuckle, not so easy.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Reader
12/9/11 9:37 a.m.

Here is the one I am using from Coleman racing, it is a 3-bolt setup and the steering wheel mounts directly to it. The shorter ones shown can be mounted between the steering column and the box/rack. Great for autox, but can make the steering very sensitive at speed.

weedburner
weedburner New Reader
12/9/11 9:59 a.m.

I used one in my home brewed Outlaw Dirt Latemodel, i made it from a planetary gearset that came from a T-350. My front geometry was designed around using a Ford Fairmont power rack which was around 3 turns lock/lock. My quickener changed that to 1 turn lock/lock, which allowed me to drive the car without taking my hands off of the wheel. Used the same quickener for 12 years, the only maintenance was off season cleaning and re-lubing. Dirt Latemodels are a contact sport, my quickener was one of the few things that was never damaged. This car used it...

emodspitfire
emodspitfire Reader
12/9/11 2:41 p.m.

Hi,

I have used 3 different units on the Spitfire:

D&M: Chain drive unit out of a company in TX. (They may be out of business) Sounds funky, but worked fine for 15 plus years until I managed to strip out the splines on the rack side. This was a 2/1 unit. Very heavy steering at grid speeds, but good feel and moderate effort on course.

Howe: Planetary (I think) 1.5/1 unit: Steering was too slow, feel and effort were OK. Howe: 2/1 replaced the D&M unit above. No apparent difference in behavior.

Rog

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/9/11 5:17 p.m.

There are a few companies out there that make quicker ratio racks and pinions, had one for my old MR2. Heavy steering, but no need to let go of the wheel.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GL7FNtuKBePC1fvXEoLmNTGomKvFBrx5d3BypLJwybQs5MJtUa4bfnF4lVxWhMKe