1 2 3 4
slefain
slefain PowerDork
8/16/17 10:02 a.m.

I want to know what is in all those MOPAR parts boxes? I can't quite make out the part numbers. Their in-house open wheel cars ran a Neon engine, so I'm wondering if there may be some rare performance bits up for sale.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
8/16/17 10:38 a.m.

More info will be available soon---- they are scheduled to publish a full list of items coming up for sale within a few days. Look for a web banner on this site that will lead you directly to the link. It should be up by tomorrow.

HonestSpeedShop
HonestSpeedShop GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/16/17 11:14 a.m.
slefain wrote: I want to know what is in all those MOPAR parts boxes? I can't quite make out the part numbers. Their in-house open wheel cars ran a Neon engine, so I'm wondering if there may be some rare performance bits up for sale.

I hope so, there are a few things i need for up coming build i have planned :D

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
8/16/17 12:58 p.m.

Sounds like GRM scored some advertising bucks.

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
8/16/17 8:04 p.m.

Item list is up. Looks like some cars are going to Mecum auctions, lots of parts cars with bent frames.

Have a feeling when they were going down the drain they stoped fixing stuff.

Didnt realise that some of those formula cars are 10 years old.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
8/16/17 9:37 p.m.
Fr3AkAzOiD wrote: Item list is up. Looks like some cars are going to Mecum auctions, lots of parts cars with bent frames. Have a feeling when they were going down the drain they stoped fixing stuff. Didnt realise that some of those formula cars are 10 years old.

List? What list?

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
8/16/17 10:20 p.m.

cars and tires

parts

Think I am going to pass on a car.

Not sure if a 13-14 hour round trip drive is worth saving a couple hundred on couple sets of tires, a race suit, shoes, and helmet.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/17 6:56 a.m.

I'd love to get one of those complete Formula cars, but I don't see myself making a trip to Georgia anytime soon.

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
8/17/17 7:11 a.m.

Looks like there are some unused formula frames.

Who is going to step forward and make a single seater Exocet/Atom clone with stupid big power?

crewperson
crewperson Reader
8/17/17 7:16 a.m.

Those so called "lists" aren't worth the time of day. No real details, pictures or prices. Not committing to spend money on a promise.

eebasist
eebasist Reader
8/17/17 1:43 p.m.

What frustrates me is I have no idea if this is live auction, sealed bid auction, or priced. A ton of people may or may not be interested depending on how they price it. I can see the complete cars going to decent auction houses, but the rest that we want, we need a price

Joe Gearin
8/17/17 2:00 p.m.

In reply to eebasist:

MrJoshua wrote: Exactly! Anyone have any information on how the process is going to work?

Well yes actually!

I've been communicating with the firm holding the liquidation sale (Liquid Asset Partners) and although they don't have all the details yet, here's what they know so far:

We will have a list of items for sale – hopefully by Wednesday or Thursday of this week. A lot of people that we’ve talked to already regarding this sale are confused as to how the process works. It will not be an auction; it will be an on-site, extended-negotiated sale. The first day of the sale will be August 29, beginning at 11:00am at the location in Braselton, GA, and will be open 6 or 7 days a week there-after for about 3 months (hours and exact dates of the sale are TBD, but we should have that information narrowed down soon).

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
8/17/17 2:36 p.m.

Sounds like its a yard sale, show up and haggle.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
8/17/17 2:50 p.m.

Let's assume a dozen of those formula cars end up in GRM hands... Think of the possibilities...

eebasist
eebasist Reader
8/17/17 4:20 p.m.

6-7 day extended negotiation sale....what kind of BS is that. Does that mean I come with a trailer, make an offer onsite and maybe they let me take it home then or treat it like a sealed bid auction that they will let the winners know 6-7 days later? If that's how they plan to handle it, it will be a disaster for the items we'd be looking at since the value is very "iffy"

Joe Gearin
8/18/17 9:34 a.m.

eebasist------ as the description stated, this is not an auction. Feel free to contact them for any questions you have about the sale. While we haven't worked with Liquid Asset Partners before, they do this for a living. I'd be amazed if this sale turned into a "disaster".

If you are serious about purchasing something from the Skip Barber sale, contact them.....I'm sure they'd be happy to answer your questions:

Liquid Asset Partners

eebasist
eebasist Reader
8/18/17 3:19 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: eebasist------ as the description stated, this is not an auction. Feel free to contact them for any questions you have about the sale. While we haven't worked with Liquid Asset Partners before, they do this for a living. I'd be amazed if this sale turned into a "disaster". If you are serious about purchasing something from the Skip Barber sale, contact them.....I'm sure they'd be happy to answer your questions: Liquid Asset Partners

Emailed when it first was listed, and again 2 days ago. I'm dissapointed. Whats the hive think one of the formula jobs is worth? Specs on them were pretty weak but would be fun to play with

crewperson
crewperson Reader
8/18/17 4:33 p.m.

I don't understand either. Show me some pictures and put some prices on them. How tough is that?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/17 6:42 p.m.
eebasist wrote: Whats the hive think one of the formula jobs is worth? Specs on them were pretty weak but would be fun to play with

I'm not even sure what engines they had in them at the end. I know they were using Neon engines for a while, and then Mazdas I think. The chassis were made in Northern Ireland by Mondiale back when I went to the school.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
8/18/17 7:19 p.m.
crewperson wrote: I don't understand either. Show me some pictures and put some prices on them. How tough is that?

X2

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/18/17 10:57 p.m.
crewperson wrote: I don't understand either. Show me some pictures and put some prices on them. How tough is that?

Their only failing is releasing preliminary info too soon. Inventorying, photographing, and pricing a million+ in product is not an overnight task. They've given a start date for the sale and we're not there yet. Getting ticked off now is jumping the gun.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
8/19/17 7:25 a.m.
Woody wrote:
eebasist wrote: Whats the hive think one of the formula jobs is worth? Specs on them were pretty weak but would be fun to play with
I'm not even sure what engines they had in them at the end. I know they were using Neon engines for a while, and then Mazdas I think. The chassis were made in Northern Ireland by Mondiale back when I went to the school.

According to the innernets they're made of mild steel, not chrome moly, which surprises me a bit.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/19/17 7:48 a.m.
stroker wrote:
Woody wrote:
According to the innernets they're made of mild steel, not chrome moly, which surprises me a bit.

Not me... chrome moly is technically a stronger metal than the common types of mild steel, but it can be more brittle, and it's kinda sensitive to how it's welded. (Which is why most bikes made with the stuff were brazed)

In a no holds barred weight saving fight, the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. But for a "spec class" where being tough and repairable is more important, mild makes a lot more sense.

There may be rules in effect too. I'm not sure about the open wheel side of things, but chrome moly is banned in the US as a rollcage material by a lot of sanctioning bodies.

crewperson
crewperson Reader
8/19/17 9:00 a.m.

In reply to dculberson, August 29th is 10 days from now, 6 if we are talking business days. Too soon? Come on apparently they're not rookies at this. I'm not up for a 800 mile trip with this amount of information.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/19/17 9:58 a.m.

Does anybody have a link or more info on the formula car specs? I am more interested than I probably should be about whether one of these could be CM legal for solo.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
77Qy0zKi7gaT9QaAOzlVSHavpyISb7bBHMvd7egR5dIcM1g2fjsmQTvg55tX2bqP