Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
Aug. 10, 2017 11:28 a.m.
feature_image

We just got this press release in out inboxes and thought you might be interested:

Skip Barber Racing School has received U.S. Bankruptcy Court approval to sell all their assets and intellectual property to Liquid Asset Partners. The school is one of the largest racing institutions in the world. It has a 40+ year history providing racing instruction, defensive and high-performance driving classes, amateur and professional racing championships, and corporate entertainment experiences.

While most of the physical assets will be sold in a three month liquidation sale starting August 29, the iconic brand is available for outright purchase offers or potentially for licensing to regional race schools or tracks that want to grow their race programs.

The three-month liquidation sale will be held in Braselton, GA starting August 29. The sale will include hundreds of race cars and high-performance engines, transmissions, and components for Barber formula race cars, Mazda Miata, Porsche 911, Mustang GT, semi-trailers, trucks, fleet equipment, race equipment, memorabilia, and historical vehicles.

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens Editorial Director
Aug. 10, 2017 2:06 p.m.

What, no comments? Last time we were at Road Atlanta, we saw a pile of NC Mazda MX-5s. I'm guessing that some might be available for scrap metal values.

Robbie UberDork
Aug. 10, 2017 2:09 p.m.

Oh, I'll be checking out the auction for sure

Aug. 10, 2017 2:12 p.m.

And there are some photos here.

Apexcarver PowerDork
Aug. 10, 2017 2:43 p.m.

what formula cars (if any) would skippy school have in this?

Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
Aug. 10, 2017 2:50 p.m.

Always liked running formula skippies in iracing.

Would it be hard to find a way to track one not competitively?

I am pretty sure no hpde groups would allow them.

Dr. Hess MegaDork
Aug. 10, 2017 3:02 p.m.

Shouldn't the thread title be: Who Wants a Skip Barber Racing School LLC Car?

Aug. 10, 2017 3:07 p.m.

I now have plans for the 29th.

What's the hove's ipinion on the value of a former track school owned mx5, 911, or mustang?

trigun7469 SuperDork
Aug. 10, 2017 3:13 p.m.

I didn't think that things rusted in Georgia, quoting from the Miata junkyard.

dean1484 MegaDork
Aug. 10, 2017 4:30 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: What, no comments? Last time we were at Road Atlanta, we saw a pile of NC Mazda MX-5s. I'm guessing that some might be available for scrap metal values.

We Kind of already discussed this

freetors
freetors New Reader
Aug. 10, 2017 5:22 p.m.

Wasn't there a thread on here not too long ago stating that all their cars are rolling heaps and constantly breaking down? Or was that another school? I wouldn't mind having a small open wheeler for autocross duty.

Cotton UberDork
Aug. 10, 2017 5:52 p.m.

I'm definitely interested.

Stampie SuperDork
Aug. 10, 2017 5:54 p.m.

Any link to the actual auctions yet? I wanna do some real nasty things to a Miata.

captdownshift PowerDork
Aug. 10, 2017 6:16 p.m.

If you get a Miata, also get a mustang GT, stir...

mazdeuce MegaDork
Aug. 10, 2017 6:18 p.m.

Am I the only one who wants a semi and race trailer?

Woody MegaDork
Aug. 10, 2017 6:33 p.m.

I tried to buy a Skip Barber School formula car a few years ago. It was a bare chassis with bodywork outside of the race shop at Lime Rock. To my eye, it was way better than the vintage Formula Ford chassis that I had at the time. When I finally found the guy in charge, he said, "I keep telling them to cut that thing up. Somebody's gonna get killed in that car." It looked fine to me, which really got me thinking about how little I know about that kind of thing.

Keith Tanner MegaDork
Aug. 10, 2017 6:41 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: What, no comments? Last time we were at Road Atlanta, we saw a pile of NC Mazda MX-5s. I'm guessing that some might be available for scrap metal values.

IIRC, those cars basically are scrap metal.

jj HalfDork
Aug. 10, 2017 6:51 p.m.

wow, racing is dying.

GTXVette Dork
Aug. 10, 2017 6:57 p.m.
trigun7469 wrote: I didn't think that things rusted in Georgia, quoting from the Miata junkyard.

Really things rust badly here... those are new enough that they shouldn't be an Issue.

Knurled MegaDork
Aug. 10, 2017 7:08 p.m.
GTXVette wrote:
trigun7469 wrote: I didn't think that things rusted in Georgia, quoting from the Miata junkyard.

Really things rust badly here... those are new enough that they shouldn't be an Issue.

Considering that I had a 2011 vehicle partially collapse on a lift today because its jacking points were more theoretical than structural, I am thinking that maybe the concept of "rust" needs to be defined before further conversation can happen.

Also, when will Japanese manufacturers figure out rust prevention? I mean, okay, Nissan seems to have severe rust as one of its core policies, and Mazda isn't much better, but aren't NCs pretty much gone from the roads anymore because Mazda put cardboard in the front chassis rails which makes the front end just sort of fall off after a few years?

Keith Tanner MegaDork
Aug. 10, 2017 7:17 p.m.

Haven't come across that. There were never all that many NCs to start with. It wasn't a huge seller.

All the cars parked in the Skip Barber graveyard were put there by accidents, then stripped of useful parts.

kazoospec SuperDork
Aug. 10, 2017 7:45 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: And there are some photos here.

From the looks of all those shells, Skip went bankrupt because they couldn't dial the under steer out of the NC cup chassis.

Keith Tanner MegaDork
Aug. 10, 2017 8:33 p.m.
kazoospec wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: And there are some photos here.

From the looks of all those shells, Skip went bankrupt because they couldn't dial the under steer out of the NC cup chassis.

When we ran our Miata salvage operation, 95% of the cars - all generations - had suffered front hits. We never got intact hoods, but the trunklids were always cherry. I think it's a target fixation thing.

Aug. 12, 2017 5:03 p.m.

The liquidation company has posted some photos on their Facebook page.

Grtechguy MegaDork
Aug. 12, 2017 6:17 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Funny that an auction facility from here in little Grand Rapids, Mi is is charge of a GA auction.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Mark Your Calendars: August 18 Is Wear Your Helmet to Work Day

5 hours ago in News

Wear your racing gear to work and win prizes.

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

6 hours ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

You Need This: A Real 1LE Camaro

7 hours ago in News

Chevy only built 62 1LE Camaros that year.

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

16 hours ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Little Car Show: Celebrating All Things Quirky and Small

1 day ago in Articles

As the name suggests, the Little Car Show is all about little cars.

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

1 day ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

You Need This: A Quite Eye-Catching Green Over Red Ferrari

1 day ago in News

Not your usual Ferrari color combo.

Your Projects: JDM Autozam AZ-1 Kei Car

1 day ago in News

What are the realities of importing a JDM kei car to the U.S.?

Bid on a New Helmet and Save Some Puppies and Kittens!

1 day ago in News

Four helmets will be auctioned off.

Tonight on Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! Lee Grimes of Koni Shocks

1 day ago in News

This may shock you, but suspension is arguably the most important part of going fast.

Classic Motorsports Monterey Welcome Party Welcomes 2000-Plus Gearheads

2 days ago in Articles

Last night we threw a party, and more than 2000 people came to celebrate.

You Need This: E46-Chassis BMW M3 for $6000!?

3 days ago in News

Could this M3 donate its heart to your next project?

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
Df8t6CIMz7mWtzL5VVZesuZnaYv6L1Un