GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/17 6:58 p.m.

I was at the track last weekend working timing for a kart race and the foreign rally cars that will be competing in Rally Barbados were being stored there. A few of them had these big custom frameworks to take advantage of the empty space above a car in transport. I thought you might like to see them.

A couple of cars just had regular rooftop cargo pods as seen in the background here:

This guy clearly has too much free time:

This is a normal roof rack but I thought it was notable because this guy seems to think he only needs wheels. It's a good idea to bring spare wheels since you'll be flying over pothole-ridden streets flat out, but you should bring tires too. Maybe he hasn't seen the local price and selection of tires:

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/17 7:18 p.m.

Cool!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/24/17 7:25 p.m.

That gives me ideas.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
5/24/17 7:28 p.m.

Interesting. Though I'm wondering how some see where they are going. Maybe just drift sideways and look out the side?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/24/17 7:30 p.m.

How do you see out of the Ford pictured last?

GameboyRMH
5/24/17 7:32 p.m.
wlkelley3 wrote: Interesting. Though I'm wondering how some see where they are going. Maybe just drift sideways and look out the side?

Hehe I'm sure most don't really drive the cars like this, they probably just do a bit of careful Ace Ventura driving to load and unload.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
5/24/17 7:43 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
wlkelley3 wrote: Interesting. Though I'm wondering how some see where they are going. Maybe just drift sideways and look out the side?
Hehe I'm sure most don't really drive the cars like this, they probably just do a bit of careful Ace Ventura driving to load and unload.

Awww. I was looking forward to some videos of them driving sideways.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
5/24/17 8:44 p.m.

I've actaully thought about something like this for our rallycar for when I drive it to local rallycrosses. I found it much easier to just have a little HF trailer. But that would be less convenient if shipping the car, for sure.

As to the "why wheels but no tires".....often if you break or bend a rally wheel, the tire will still be ok since they have such massively strong sidewalls. We broke two wheels on train tracks at a rally last year, and were able to remount one of the tires back onto another wheel no problems. The other one we didn't since we drove 10 miles on it and the rubber was a bit....crispy

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/25/19 4:41 a.m.

Zombe thread, canoe deleted 

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/25/19 4:52 a.m.

Thanks Canoe, I missed this the first time. Looks like irish44j is well on his way to a setup along these lines.

Adam

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
4/25/19 10:39 a.m.

Are those racks to maximize storage when the car is in an enclosed trailer?

Anyone know details of that orange Mini?

GameboyRMH
4/25/19 10:42 a.m.

Close, they're to maximize storage when the car is in a shipping container.

Info on the orange Mini:

http://www.sbdev.co.uk/History_files/History_ClockworkOrange.htm

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/25/19 10:43 a.m.

Boy, I would have simply put some removable racks inside the trailer. That's actually what I've done when I've had to transport kayaks and race cars at the same time (don't ask). It never occurred to me to mount them to the car.

Keith Tanner
4/25/19 10:44 a.m.
Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
4/25/19 10:49 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Boy, I would have simply put some removable racks inside the trailer. That's actually what I've done when I've had to transport kayaks and race cars at the same time (don't ask). It never occurred to me to mount them to the car.

These are being put into a container to ship overseas. 

Keith Tanner
4/25/19 11:05 a.m.

Ooooooooh. Right. Now that makes more sense.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
4/25/19 10:31 p.m.
adam525i said:

Thanks Canoe, I missed this the first time. Looks like irish44j is well on his way to a setup along these lines.

Adam

lol, fact. Though only to go to rallycross. The rack won't be on there at stage rallies (and I will still tow it on a real trailer lol)

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/19 6:14 a.m.

I really dig the ones that support the rack by the jack points.

Also dig the Puma.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/19 8:44 a.m.

I think GRM needs an in-depth story on the Rally Barbados.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/19 8:45 a.m.

OK, OK, send me a ticket and I'll do it.  

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
4/26/19 9:05 a.m.

When you need to take your spare tarmac car....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
N7KXiyyUsUPnly2QETGuDJ1FU6JZE45xZJBVbLbnTnaYKfSFwZ94yhvKK19aH3N6