1 2 3 4
Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/7/17 3:36 p.m.

Where I live, the SC400 was the quintisential gangsta car. Usually with huge wheels. You don't drive one unless you want to be carjacked. I hear that they were great, though.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
2/7/17 3:43 p.m.

SC430's were never really loved.
Are they of the same quality as the rest of the V8 offerings?

This body went from '01-'10.
Have they gotten cheap yet?

EDIT: an unscientific search of multiple CL cities seem to imply that the SC430 commands about a $5k more asking price than similar LS430's.
Perhaps more loved than I realized.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
2/7/17 4:19 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

They made those things that long?! God, they are hideous, like a fat lumpy frog on wheels. I know some of the press ravaged them on reviews. Apex'i made one for Formula Drift with the stock engine turbocharged and nitrous'd and about 5 different drivers took the wheel and never had a bit of success with it. Daigo Saito built one with a 1200hp turbo, nitrous 2JZ that propelled him to the championship and Rookie of the Year his first year in Formula D competition, then failed to break into the Top 10 the next season before being retired.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/7/17 4:29 p.m.

FWIW, Top Gear called the SC430 the worst car in the world. It wasn't that it was a terrible car, just that it was kind of a crappy car, from an automaker that knew better.

While the SC400 is nice, I'd rather have the SC300 with a manual. At least then it's kinda sporty....but still big and heavy. Funny thing is, the SC300 gave up very little to the SC400 performance wise.

If I'm going to go the plush comfort route--- I'd rather go with the added practicality of the LS400. There are other cars to modify and track. This would be a sedate cruiser, perfect for eating thousands of highway miles in comfort, or as a sanctuary for the drive home after a rough day.

not everything has to be a race car (ducking and running!)

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
2/7/17 10:37 p.m.
DuctTape&Bondo wrote: Brought it back from the brink, lowered it and threw some SC430 wheels on it and gave it to my dad who loved it the last few years, everyone who rode in it couldn't believe it was a 1993, it really did drive like a cloud. Super straight body but it needs a lot plus the transmission so not worth fixing. Eyeing a LS430 Ultra Luxury for my dad. Transmission went and it's been sitting for a year so I'm getting ready to part it out. Will probably make a good chunk of the original $1300 purchase price back and end up with the engine, ECU and cats... son wants me to get another RA29 and swap it in (his will have a 7mgte)

Those wheels look perfect on that car!

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
2/8/17 12:43 a.m.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=9791&acctid=4244

I wasn't going to put this one out there but since the thread has been jacked why not?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/8/17 6:42 a.m.

I LOVED driving my manual-equipped SC300. Absolutely loved it. Such a comfortable, well-built, and competent vehicle. It was 5 years and 200k miles older than SWMBO's 'New Edge' Mustang but felt a decade newer.

Almost felt bad desecrating it for Rice Rod parts...almost

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Dork
2/8/17 9:34 a.m.

I'd own one if I had a commute for sure. I love the crown victoria and think I'd appreciate all the lexus'ness of the LS400.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/8/17 10:31 a.m.

As I have said before, driving a LS400 is like sitting in your living room, except that it is quieter, the seat is more comfortable and the stereo is better.

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
2/8/17 11:52 a.m.

Late to the conversation here... I really enjoy driving my GS400 (pimpm3's ex-challenge car from 2015); it's a quiet, fast and comfortable car. I purchased it for my parents for their lap of the continent (FL -> AZ -> BC -> ON -> FL) and it didn't miss a beat. I'd happily keep it, but we have 2 kids and a sedan just isn't big enough, hence it's for sale now.

Craigslist ad

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
2/8/17 2:05 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: FWIW, Top Gear called the SC430 the worst car in the world. It wasn't that it was a terrible car, just that it was kind of a crappy car, from an automaker that knew better. While the SC400 is nice, I'd rather have the SC300 with a manual. At least then it's kinda sporty....but still big and heavy. Funny thing is, the SC300 gave up very little to the SC400 performance wise. If I'm going to go the plush comfort route--- I'd rather go with the added practicality of the LS400. There are other cars to modify and track. This would be a sedate cruiser, perfect for eating thousands of highway miles in comfort, or as a sanctuary for the drive home after a rough day. not everything has to be a race car (ducking and running!)

I agree with all these points. I drove an SC430 at a Lexus event around some cones in as much anger this vehicle would allow 8 or 10 years ago. First of all the interior is quite snug. I'm not a big guy 6' 175 lbs. Second, it is a slow walloy pig that hated every input I gave it. Granted I've never driven the final thunderbird, but that being said I think those cars were built to be competitors.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
2/8/17 2:25 p.m.

What are you guys on about? The EZ route for a manual adapter has to be Xcessive manufacturing. They sell everything. You can hook up a w58, r154a, Supra six speed (lol), or 350z six speed.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
2/8/17 2:51 p.m.

These things are overly abundant here in FL (LS's and GS's actually). The wife had an IS350 that could really scoot and never gave us any issues, so I've contemplated getting a more sedate version for my daily commute.

I am torn between something sporty and manual to make the most of the commute (GTi, WRX, etc.), or something more along these lines to make the least of my commute lol.

I'll just stick with the 4Runner until I fall firmly in one camp.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
2/8/17 3:26 p.m.
Trackmouse wrote: What are you guys on about? The EZ route for a manual adapter has to be Xcessive manufacturing. They sell everything. You can hook up a w58, r154a, Supra six speed (lol), or 350z six speed.

Assuming you have already done some research, which of these is the easiest/sweet spot EZ route? availability would go to 350z six speed? Would you happen to have a ballpark of cost for all parts needed to mate the tranny?

I'm just being lazy, if you don't already have it don't go out of your way.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
2/8/17 3:38 p.m.

The cheapest is by far a w58. Came all sorts of toyotas. Technically, any W series works, but the w58 had the racing ratios. The rest were trucks with a useless first gear.

http://xcessivemanufacturing.com/index.php/toyota/transmission.html Visit here. This will start your journey.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/8/17 3:46 p.m.
Trackmouse wrote: The cheapest is by far a w58. Came all sorts of toyotas. Technically, any W series works, but the w58 had the racing ratios. The rest were trucks with a useless first gear. http://xcessivemanufacturing.com/index.php/toyota/transmission.html Visit here. This will start your journey.

Since they require AT bellhousing, what's the word on longevity of hydraulic release bearings?

Cheap enough to make me want to put a 1UZ in something...like a minitruck.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
2/8/17 6:04 p.m.

Those hydro TOB's get a bad rap from the drift kids that clutch kick it like a Johnny Cage "shadow kick" (old school mortal combat reference). They survive fine when used by somewhat sensible people like us.

One thing I will mention is to connect the flex line from the TOB to your factory hardline as this will give you enough room to remove the transmission entirely and set it aside without it being in the way. I can drag my tranny all the way out from under my car. A huge help if I ever have to diagnose something or remove the trans from the bellhousinf for a rebuild.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/9/17 6:41 a.m.
nutherjrfan wrote: https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=9791&acctid=4244 I wasn't going to put this one out there but since the thread has been jacked why not?

That is 2.4 miles from where I am typing this post...jerk. That has challenge written all over it

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/9/17 6:43 a.m.

I know the Sport Coupe is supposed to be the head turner but I find the Luxury Sedan to be the attractive one of the bunch.

The SC300/400 seemed to try to channel the BMW 8 series and failed miserably (in the style department) The SC430 seems like the designers got drunk watching anime and had deadline the next morning and just cleaned it up a bit.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
2/9/17 10:18 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: The SC430 seems like the designers got drunk watching anime and had deadline the next morning and just cleaned it up a bit.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
2/11/17 2:57 p.m.
Flight Service wrote:
nutherjrfan wrote: https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=9791&acctid=4244 I wasn't going to put this one out there but since the thread has been jacked why not?
That is 2.4 miles from where I am typing this post...jerk. That has challenge written all over it

Total price sold: $90.30

penultimeta
penultimeta Reader
2/11/17 3:09 p.m.

The nice thing about the sc300/400 is that it's basically a luxo mkIV supra and (I think) most chassis bits are interchangeable including limited slips, manual transmissions, and TT 2jz swaps. Personally, mine would keep the 1uz with a tune, pop in a w58, add LSD and go about my day.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
2/12/17 2:26 p.m.

Found a couple of LS400's semi local to me. NMNA

haggard but cheap

a bit nicer and more expensive

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/14/17 6:29 a.m.

I can see why people equate the SC to the Supra visually. If the SC had a shorter trunk it would be really close.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/14/17 6:45 a.m.
1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
abxdLluhsSBDIdIfNHzU8A1H72feyz4zuuNZ2upC2PFIEc1uLKFAlKX8GGyfy1I1