1 2
pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
1/14/11 2:16 p.m.

After watching John Morton and Peter Brock....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5XAP4pCRps&feature=recentf

Why can't Nissan Nissan Frontier Build build me a new Datsun 510 Retro Sedan for $18,000.

A bunch of the Camaro and Challenger V6 stealerships are advertising those cars for $22,000; why not Nissan?

When is Nissan going to accept their name change error and go back to being called Datsun?

Any other unrealistic thoughts in your head? (when is that MGF coming out?)

Okay everyone; dreamlands over. Back to work.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing HalfDork
1/14/11 3:04 p.m.

No, here's a better idea. Nissan stays Nissan but they create a new brand like Toyota did with Scion. And, they call it Datsun. The mission of the new Datsun, build small, sporty cars that are retro inspired, get good gas mileage and are all rear wheel drive. Here's the line up:

The Roadster. A two seat convertible styled after the Fairlady roadsters that preceded the Z car. More minimalist than a Miata, no power folding hard tops, power windows or mirrors. Just an honest, fun and light sports car.

The Truck. A real mini pickup, sized like the last of the Hardbody pickups. Give it a six foot bed, a regular or super cab, and make sure that it's tough as nails. The sport truck guys are starving for something fun to drive and reasonably priced, plus all the projected fleet sales would be a big bonus.

The 510. Yes, bring it back. Coupe, sedan and wagon versions should all be available. Sized like the real deal, just updated for today's market. It's gotta look like a 510, handle like a 510 and most importantly, be factory raced like a 510.

Bean counters and enthusiasts will rejoice if the Roadster and 510 share the same fully independent suspension front and back and give the Truck the same front suspension with a typical solid rear with leafs. Four cylinder engines for all, no sixes for options, just a turbo on the sportiest versions. All start off with a base line, then a sport which gives you a better suspension and wheels and a top of the line which is the sport with a turbo engine. No paddle shifters or tipronic BS, just an honest 5 or 6 speed manual and an optional automatic on the base and sport lines (not available on the turbo).

Retro styling for all vehicles for the first generation with retro advertising (Datsun Saves, Drive a Datsun and Decide, etc). This puts Datsun back in all the Nissan dealerships where they won't overlap any existing products and can cash in on the existing goodwill and name recognition the brand still enjoys after decades of being off the market. Keep prices low and offer dealer installed options like Scion. Throw some free vehicles to noted tuners and customizers so they show up at Sema, drifting events, custom car shows and get a ton of free PR.

How is this not a winning idea? People are cutting back, gas prices are rising and classic Japanese cars are gaining attention. Nissan needs to try something new, target some new markets and build some niche vehicles that will garner some very positive press for them.

In return for these awesome ideas, I only ask for a tour of the plant they build them in and a free Roadster. Nissan can PM me for details on where I want to take delivery of my car.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
1/14/11 3:07 p.m.

Jimbob wins internet fantasy of the day in my book. I'd buy one.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
1/14/11 3:12 p.m.

Dude. I had my checkbook out now PRAYING for a 510 turbowagen. Seriously.

MCarp22
MCarp22 Reader
1/14/11 3:38 p.m.

@jimbob : One Nissan Way, Franklin, TN 37067

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
1/14/11 3:39 p.m.

in general, why cant I get a <2klb car with ~2.0l of displacement, with a proper gearbox, for <$20k?

because Suzy Soccermom cant pile Tristan, Kristan, and Bristan in the back along with their friends, Skylar, Tylar, and Mylar , all their gear, get heated makup warmers and remote backup antennae, in a 9 star safety rated behemoth that can hit a wall at 80 mph because shes text messaging on her tweetberry, and have everyone skip away.

whew...

/rant

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
1/14/11 3:43 p.m.

Jimbob is win. The recipe is proven successul with scion, except Nissan has the opportunity to capitalize on a much more fruitful and fun market. And has the kickass (Datsun) brand name to back it. Base them all on the same basic chassis- I agree- limit them all to 4 cyl.... all SR20 powered, or whatever their 4 cyl is now. Fun for all. No gimmicks but what is required by law (abs, dsc, airbags etc).

You need to submit this to Nissan as manifesto of the day. Spread it through the interwebs and let nature take its course. By 2020 we could be datsun'ing.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
1/14/11 3:54 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: in general, why cant I get a <2klb car with ~2.0l of displacement, with a proper gearbox, for <$20k? because Suzy Soccermom cant pile Tristan, Kristan, and Bristan in the back along with their friends, Skylar, Tylar, and Mylar , all their gear, get heated makup warmers and remote backup antennae, in a 9 star safety rated behemoth that can hit a wall at 80 mph because shes text messaging on her tweetberry, and have everyone skip away. whew... /rant

This needs to be a magazine quote.

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
1/14/11 4:00 p.m.

I pretty sure that as soon as you suggest a post be put the "Say What," you immediately preclude it from being published.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
1/14/11 4:06 p.m.

I used to spend some quality time over on ratsun, looking at the KA swaps in 510's....a modern day (with A/C and CD...period) version would be fine with me.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
1/14/11 4:45 p.m.

sonuva.... I mean that should NOT be posted.

corytate
corytate New Reader
1/14/11 4:51 p.m.
jimbob_racing wrote: No, here's a better idea. Nissan stays Nissan but they create a new brand like Toyota did with Scion. And, they call it Datsun. The mission of the new Datsun, build small, sporty cars that are retro inspired, get good gas mileage and are all rear wheel drive. Here's the line up: The Roadster. A two seat convertible styled after the Fairlady roadsters that preceded the Z car. More minimalist than a Miata, no power folding hard tops, power windows or mirrors. Just an honest, fun and light sports car. The Truck. A real mini pickup, sized like the last of the Hardbody pickups. Give it a six foot bed, a regular or super cab, and make sure that it's tough as nails. The sport truck guys are starving for something fun to drive and reasonably priced, plus all the projected fleet sales would be a big bonus. The 510. Yes, bring it back. Coupe, sedan and wagon versions should all be available. Sized like the real deal, just updated for today's market. It's gotta look like a 510, handle like a 510 and most importantly, be factory raced like a 510. Bean counters and enthusiasts will rejoice if the Roadster and 510 share the same fully independent suspension front and back and give the Truck the same front suspension with a typical solid rear with leafs. Four cylinder engines for all, no sixes for options, just a turbo on the sportiest versions. All start off with a base line, then a sport which gives you a better suspension and wheels and a top of the line which is the sport with a turbo engine. No paddle shifters or tipronic BS, just an honest 5 or 6 speed manual and an optional automatic on the base and sport lines (not available on the turbo). Retro styling for all vehicles for the first generation with retro advertising (Datsun Saves, Drive a Datsun and Decide, etc). This puts Datsun back in all the Nissan dealerships where they won't overlap any existing products and can cash in on the existing goodwill and name recognition the brand still enjoys after decades of being off the market. Keep prices low and offer dealer installed options like Scion. Throw some free vehicles to noted tuners and customizers so they show up at Sema, drifting events, custom car shows and get a ton of free PR. How is this not a winning idea? People are cutting back, gas prices are rising and classic Japanese cars are gaining attention. Nissan needs to try something new, target some new markets and build some niche vehicles that will garner some very positive press for them. In return for these awesome ideas, I only ask for a tour of the plant they build them in and a free Roadster. Nissan can PM me for details on where I want to take delivery of my car.

I likes it. ALOT.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/11 4:59 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: because Suzy Soccermom cant pile Tristan, Kristan, and Bristan in the back along with their friends, Skylar, Tylar, and Mylar , whew... /rant

Now i wish I had kids just so I could name that Mylar and Dristan

imirk
imirk New Reader
1/14/11 5:15 p.m.

The truck needs a 2.0 Turbo Diesel and I'd be set.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
1/14/11 6:11 p.m.
imirk wrote: They all needs a 2.0 Turbo Diesel and I'd be set.

Fixed

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy HalfDork
1/14/11 6:23 p.m.
jimbob_racing wrote: No, here's a better idea. Nissan stays Nissan but they create a new brand like Toyota did with Scion. And, they call it Datsun. The mission of the new Datsun, build small, sporty cars that are retro inspired, get good gas mileage and are all rear wheel drive. Here's the line up: The Roadster. A two seat convertible styled after the Fairlady roadsters that preceded the Z car. More minimalist than a Miata, no power folding hard tops, power windows or mirrors. Just an honest, fun and light sports car. The Truck. A real mini pickup, sized like the last of the Hardbody pickups. Give it a six foot bed, a regular or super cab, and make sure that it's tough as nails. The sport truck guys are starving for something fun to drive and reasonably priced, plus all the projected fleet sales would be a big bonus. The 510. Yes, bring it back. Coupe, sedan and wagon versions should all be available. Sized like the real deal, just updated for today's market. It's gotta look like a 510, handle like a 510 and most importantly, be factory raced like a 510. Bean counters and enthusiasts will rejoice if the Roadster and 510 share the same fully independent suspension front and back and give the Truck the same front suspension with a typical solid rear with leafs. Four cylinder engines for all, no sixes for options, just a turbo on the sportiest versions. All start off with a base line, then a sport which gives you a better suspension and wheels and a top of the line which is the sport with a turbo engine. No paddle shifters or tipronic BS, just an honest 5 or 6 speed manual and an optional automatic on the base and sport lines (not available on the turbo). Retro styling for all vehicles for the first generation with retro advertising (Datsun Saves, Drive a Datsun and Decide, etc). This puts Datsun back in all the Nissan dealerships where they won't overlap any existing products and can cash in on the existing goodwill and name recognition the brand still enjoys after decades of being off the market. Keep prices low and offer dealer installed options like Scion. Throw some free vehicles to noted tuners and customizers so they show up at Sema, drifting events, custom car shows and get a ton of free PR. How is this not a winning idea? People are cutting back, gas prices are rising and classic Japanese cars are gaining attention. Nissan needs to try something new, target some new markets and build some niche vehicles that will garner some very positive press for them. In return for these awesome ideas, I only ask for a tour of the plant they build them in and a free Roadster. Nissan can PM me for details on where I want to take delivery of my car.

You, sir, have my vote. I think you will fail spectacularly, but I like the way you think.

kb58
kb58 Reader
1/14/11 7:52 p.m.
jimbob_racing wrote: ...The Roadster. A two seat convertible styled after the Fairlady roadsters that preceded the Z car. More minimalist than a Miata, no power folding hard tops, power windows or mirrors. Just an honest, fun and light sports car.

Hah, I asked the dealership that very question in 1990 when the Miata came out, as I was picking up parts for my Datsun Roadster. "Why don't you guys make a car that looks like the Roadster but put a modern drivetrain in it?"

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
1/14/11 8:46 p.m.

Great posts by jimbob and pete240. I've spoken with some Nissan folks and they'd love to do it. They are disgusted by such monstrosities as the Juke, Cube and Murano vert. Sadly, the ever more ignorant public continues to purchase such aesthetic abominations, so other than a possible Brock edition 370, I wouldn't hold your breath. Think of the Juke drivetrain in a modern 510.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
1/14/11 9:31 p.m.
  1. I talked to a Nissan employee at the Japanese Classic Car Show last September and he commented about the Nissan top brass; a lesson for all companies. "Sell cars, make profits, protect your bonus". The guys running car companies are not always "car guys".

2. I also hope this is not Nissan's idea of retro ever again.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/14/11 9:48 p.m.

Oh my yes. I was hoping that BMW would do something similar with their ownership of the Triumph nameplate, which seems to be stillborn, and the Chinese have fallen on their faces with the alleged Oklahoma plant to build MG TF's.

Nissan, you have a huge opportunity here. Will you blow it?

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing HalfDork
1/14/11 11:16 p.m.

Thanks guys. I've had this idea for a while and I really think it's viable. In fact, I'm working on my MBA right now and will probably use this scenario for a project in the near future. If you really support this, feel free to repost it wherever you can, just give credit back to the GRM forum.

Oh, I'd accept a job at Datsun/Nissan instead of the new Roadster but I still want the tour.

Jim

Mikey52_1
Mikey52_1 HalfDork
1/15/11 5:13 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote:
Oh my yes. I was hoping that BMW would do something similar with their ownership of the Triumph nameplate, which seems to be stillborn, and the Chinese have fallen on their faces with the alleged Oklahoma plant to build MG TF's. Nissan, you have a huge opportunity here. Will you blow it?

They have a better record of 'not blowing it' than others, but we'll see....

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 Reader
1/15/11 11:39 a.m.

Holy E36 M3 @ Jim bob! you sir, need to call nissan

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
1/15/11 12:44 p.m.

If VW Jetta can offer a base model for $15,995 - how much more does it add to turn the engine the "right" way and add an R160 rear axle? $1,000?

They can't pop out a low cost car? Or have we all become spoiled and need every single option?

VW Jetta Build

ww
ww SuperDork
1/15/11 2:17 p.m.

AWESOME!

I've been making suggestions to Nissan to build a small sporty roadster ever since the Miata came out. Mazda proved you could do it successfully and meet current DOT regulations.

The number of great and successful copy cats has only grown with the Z3/4, Boxster, TT Roadster, Solstice/Sky and to some degree the Elise/Exige.

Jim Bob has taken my weak and narrowly focused thinking and branched it out into what could be a VERY successful marketing and sales strategy that encompasses an entire brand!

Well done sir! Well done!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xvDTWIiAhsKds0I6AlFe466eoOUThfznQlR6Q1bBKCXAZt4GKUDf3I3ktODafwJd