10/1/12 6:27 p.m.

Agreed. More please.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/1/12 6:30 p.m.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
10/1/12 6:33 p.m.

I've seen that Caddy in person. It really IS as bad ass as it looks.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
10/1/12 6:41 p.m.

that blazer/jimmy is pretty awesome...

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Reader
10/1/12 7:01 p.m.

I think that the ghetto Blazer and Caddy sort of say why not right there . . .

thestig99
thestig99 Reader
10/1/12 7:27 p.m.

Having witnessed it in action on several occasions, the Blazer is damn fast. IIRC it's on a circle track tube frame chassis with a massive V8 and some of shortest gearing you'll witness. 1st through 4th gears in like 20 yards.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
10/1/12 7:32 p.m.

My kinda thread!

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
10/1/12 8:38 p.m.

Out of the 3 pics OP posted, I'd drive that truck.

The other two.....they may be fast/cool/loud/fun/whatever, but they do not interest me much at all.

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
10/1/12 10:17 p.m.

The Caddy pic looks like it was taken at the entry to T3 at Road Atlanta.

Here, it sits outside of Bristol Motorspeeday:

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
10/1/12 11:00 p.m.

Sorry, this is what comes to mind when uttering "Street Fighter."

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
10/2/12 3:41 a.m.

I agree with Appleseed. And isn't pro touring what Olympic figure skaters do when they are to old to compete :p

stealthfighter1
stealthfighter1 Reader
10/2/12 5:42 a.m.

http://www.thestreetfighters.com/

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/2/12 5:55 a.m.

I'm in the process of bench building/actually building 3 sorta pro-touring cars. Right now, money and garage space are holding me back, but here is the stuff so far:

96 Impala SS:
Pretty easy pro-touring conversion. This one is getting a 383 LT1/T56, and I'm trying HARD to get the guys at Schwartz to use my SS as a prototype for a B-body chassis.

66 Bonneville:
This one was mostly done before I tore it all apart for a new direction. It did have a Caddy 500/TH400/GVOD, but now its getting a diesel. I haven't decided on a Duramax or a 6.7L powerstroke yet. The Dmax would be easy, but then my tranny choices are limited to a 4L80E (which fits, but wouldn't like the 800+ lb-ft I'm planning) or an Allison (which is great, but has poor ratios for a car and its massively huge.)

It has a 10.5" FF rear, 3/4 ton front spindles and brakes, custom suspension control arms and trailing arms built and designed by yours truly, and is currently in the body shop getting straightened out.

Here it is before teardown with the caddy 500:

1967 LeMans:

I don't have any pictures yet because I haven't even picked it up yet. Its sitting at my buddy's place in TX. The plan is a complete road-race/Trans Am build that is completely street legal. LS-something, T56, possibly even a T56 transaxle with a C5 rear?

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
10/2/12 6:32 a.m.
oldsaw wrote: The Caddy pic looks like it was taken at the entry to T3 at Road Atlanta. Here, it sits outside of Bristol Motorspeeday:

This seems incredibly wrong....and that fills me with happiness. questionable ideas tend to have that effect on me

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/2/12 7:28 a.m.
curtis73 wrote: I'm in the process of bench building/actually building 3 sorta pro-touring cars. Right now, money and garage space are holding me back, but here is the stuff so far: 96 Impala SS: Pretty easy pro-touring conversion. This one is getting a 383 LT1/T56, and I'm trying HARD to get the guys at Schwartz to use my SS as a prototype for a B-body chassis. 66 Bonneville: This one was mostly done before I tore it all apart for a new direction. It did have a Caddy 500/TH400/GVOD, but now its getting a diesel. I haven't decided on a Duramax or a 6.7L powerstroke yet. The Dmax would be easy, but then my tranny choices are limited to a 4L80E (which fits, but wouldn't like the 800+ lb-ft I'm planning) or an Allison (which is great, but has poor ratios for a car and its massively huge.) It has a 10.5" FF rear, 3/4 ton front spindles and brakes, custom suspension control arms and trailing arms built and designed by yours truly, and is currently in the body shop getting straightened out. Here it is before teardown with the caddy 500: 1967 LeMans: I don't have any pictures yet because I haven't even picked it up yet. Its sitting at my buddy's place in TX. The plan is a complete road-race/Trans Am build that is completely street legal. LS-something, T56, possibly even a T56 transaxle with a C5 rear?

"3"????

Dang how I envy your energy and time!!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
10/2/12 7:33 a.m.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
10/2/12 7:35 a.m.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
10/2/12 7:36 a.m.

99.999% of the completed pro-touring cars out there are afraid of hitting a cone and ruining their $6k paint job with a scuff. it is nothing more then the prostreet craze of the 80's and 90's. Glorified show cars that fit a certain segment of "static hot rodding". Posers.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
10/2/12 7:38 a.m.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
10/2/12 7:42 a.m.

note: Father in law has not 1, but 2 high quality early 70s C10s - one is nearly showroom stock, straight 6, no PS, no PB, no radio!!! - the essence of farm truck. 70k original miles...basically just new paint, and consumables like hoses and such. That one is staying bone stock.

The other is a partial restomod abortion that ended when the previous owner got divorced and needed cash, so FIL picked it up. Bed is rusty, some rot in the cab. He plans to pick up a 110 welder and teach himself to weld...and I fully plan to be present for class as well . Once the body is straight, its getting IRS, coilovers, and a ws6 LS/trans swap

things will get interesting

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/2/12 7:44 a.m.

Me likey.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
10/2/12 7:44 a.m.

and one for ranger...

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/2/12 7:57 a.m.
oldsaw wrote:

That Caddy would be awesome except those wheels make me want to puke.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/2/12 8:00 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote: 99.999% of the completed pro-touring cars out there are afraid of hitting a cone and ruining their $6k paint job with a scuff. it is nothing more then the prostreet craze of the 80's and 90's. Glorified show cars that fit a certain segment of "static hot rodding". Posers.

I gotta disagree with this one. That was my uneducated opinion at one time. I recently became friends with a guy into the scene. These guys drive the piss out of their cars, both on-track and at autocross. They are being built to handle and stop.

Met Kyle Tucker from Detroit Speed Engineering at CMP on a Friday before a Lemons race. They were out there track testing and pounding their development parts.

I got the opportunity to drive the piss out of this car. I can tell you that it turns, goes and stops every bit as good as a modern car. It has about 480hp, fuel injection, and a slick 6-speed. Rack and pinion steering, excellent visibility and feels almost weightless for something of this size.

Pro-touring isn't my personal flavor, but these guys are hardcore and they're the ones spending the money. Sponsorships are about 1000% easier to come by than autocross, club racing, etc.

Old cars make people smile.

1 2 3 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
orUtuS72r51g8G7xLBUR5aMHWxasfYpUxQr1ebM6UudovXHnvPAQShwgc4Ft0VMB