1 2
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/25/12 9:10 a.m.
slantvaliant wrote: They're just happy to see you.

Oh god... Now I can't un-see it.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/25/12 9:13 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: if the Ram is still built like a real truck, then the bumper is a perfect place to out a hitch.. there should be a knockout in the rubber cover that will allow you to install a ball from which to hang your nuts..

Given the number of bumpers that are rusty enough to collapse if you stand on them by the time the truck is 7-10 years old, I wouldn't.

I saw a Titan the other month. The rear crossmember for the frame IS a receiver. FINALLY. I wonder if anyone else is doing that.

(and yeah, I'm aware of Ford's integrating trailer brake control with the ABS computer, which rocks)

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/25/12 9:25 a.m.
Knurled wrote: I saw a Titan the other month. The rear crossmember for the frame IS a receiver. FINALLY. I wonder if anyone else is doing that.

i'm doing that to my sonoma. it seemed like a good idea after i took the bed off as the rear crossmembers are all kinda wimpy. i've been pulling off the step bumper but i'm tossing the bumper because it is bent.

everything needs a hitch, you never know when you will need it.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
3/25/12 10:20 a.m.
slantvaliant wrote: They're just happy to see you.

Maybe it should be painted bright pink so you do not knock your shin on it.
Of course, folklore may be true that the black makes it stronger/larger.

Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
3/25/12 10:49 a.m.

Ram rear bumpers are nothing but a steel bumper cover. There is a tubular support behind that cover. You can get the Mopar trailer hitch which just bolts to that support. I have done too many of them. They are good, IIRC, to 7500# trailer/750# tongue wt.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/25/12 1:46 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50:

Yessir, thats the plan... I can buy a Curt/Draw-Tite/Hidden Hitch for almost half as much as the Mopar piece. I bought my truck to use as a truck and it kills me that Dodge has all their trucks setup to tow EXCEPT for including a receiver.

I'm seriously contemplating buying an $850 (that runs/drives!) XR4ti thats almost 200 miles from me and dragging it back here. That would be car #4 which is 3 more than I have room for :(

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
3/26/12 8:00 a.m.

Last time I was in Germany (about two weeks ago) I saw a Focus and a 3-series pulling horse trailers. Yes with horses in them.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
3/26/12 8:08 a.m.
stumpmj wrote: Last time I was in Germany (about two weeks ago) I saw a Focus and a 3-series pulling horse trailers. Yes with horses in them.

It was a lot of weight so it doesn't really surprise me they had to use two cars.

moxnix
moxnix Reader
3/26/12 8:11 a.m.

I own hitches for 5 out of 8 current cars.

The 2 rallyx cars and the parts car are the only ones that don't have hitches.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/26/12 8:22 a.m.

In South Africa, cars are way expensive and so is gas. Small cars are therefore the norm, but they all come with hitches because most people have a small trailer. Dealers sometimes include a free trailer with a new car purchase.

Most resorts even have special lots for the trailers where you can lock them up. When you go on holiday or to the DIY store, you pack up the trailer. Other times, you don't waste gas hauling lots of empty space around.

This is a common one:

I do the same thing. A cheap HF trailer allows me to haul 4x8 sheets when I need to without needing a truck.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid SuperDork
3/26/12 8:27 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

That's a cool trailer. If there was a newer sleeker design, that would be ideal for me.

Ian F
Ian F UltraDork
3/26/12 8:35 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I do the same thing. A cheap HF trailer allows me to haul 4x8 sheets when I need to without needing a truck.

That was my plan for my TDi instead of buying my truck. SWMBO had other ideas... so I ended up with a Cummins... lucky me....

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/12 8:44 a.m.

that is a very cool little trailer.. I like the two seperate locking areas

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Fv2FjzE7U9tZa9zkpGY7DWlNDMsR0I95O8kOPaQIYCXzm5IzIaqtmn80f7vTqS5X