DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
5/25/08 7:52 p.m.

I always go out to the drag strip with friends to just chill and watch some ricers do stupid shit, see some 10 sec street cars, ect...Took the T/A out there to run a couple times before I open up the engine and so some stuff. 1st run ruined by some ricer slamming on his brakes at the 1/8 mark and coming into my lane (he got me off the line I caught up to him around the 1/8 mark). Second run, (after someone sprayed oil, and an hour of re-prepping the track) I was sliding all over the place but managed to trap like 110+mph. This was enough to make me never want to run any of my cars there again, I had forgotten why I never run and this was just a reminder. Plus here in Orlando where we have a nice little (huge) car theft/break-in ring, so you never know if someone scopes out your car and decides to follow you home or find out where you live.

It's just frustrating. I go there to speed legally, and I can't have a good time because I have to worry about the same morons there as I do on the road plus additional hazards. Then you have some of the better drag strips around the state closing because assholes build homes right next to a track and then complain about noise.

Oh well they are building a new neighborhood behind my and no one has purchased any lots there yet so I've gotten to do some sweet drifting and test out the suspension upgrades. It has some hills and nice curves as well :twisted:

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/25/08 11:27 p.m.

It doesn't help that Orlando Speed World is about the worst and worst run drag strip in the country...

neon4891
neon4891 Reader
5/25/08 11:39 p.m.

Silly ricers. If I can get my syncros fixed I might finally go to a test and tune night, if I can ever get a car to pass inspection, or get my hands on the right saftey gear...

MitchellC
MitchellC New Reader
5/26/08 12:26 a.m.

When I spectated at Gainesville Raceways last weekend, it seemed to be run really efficiently, and there wasn't any shenanigans going on.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
5/26/08 12:50 a.m.
P71 wrote: It doesn't help that Orlando Speed World is about the worst and worst run drag strip in the country...

I knew Speedworld was a joke when my buddy showed up with an enclosed trailer and they didn't even look inside before they passed him through tech.

He said he was tempted to just pull into the lanes with the trailer and the tow rig just so someone would try to stop him, and he could yell "Hey, it got through TECH!"

neon4891
neon4891 Reader
5/26/08 1:16 a.m.
Wowak wrote:
P71 wrote: It doesn't help that Orlando Speed World is about the worst and worst run drag strip in the country...
I knew Speedworld was a joke when my buddy showed up with an enclosed trailer and they didn't even look inside before they passed him through tech. He said he was tempted to just pull into the lanes with the trailer and the tow rig just so someone would try to stop him, and he could yell "Hey, it got through TECH!"

wow, how have they not lost their sanction.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
5/26/08 1:48 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: wow, how have they not lost their sanction.

It has to be some manner of good-ole-boyism.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/26/08 3:08 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: It's just frustrating. I go there to speed legally, and I can't have a good time because I have to worry about the same morons there as I do on the road plus additional hazards. Then you have some of the better drag strips around the state closing because assholes build homes right next to a track and then complain about noise.

Ah, the age-old problem of NIMBYs moving their own backyard so that stuff is now in it, and then demanding that it be removed. Tracks, wind farms, nuclear power plants and other places affected by NIMBYs should keep track of when people move in nearby, so they can just say "we were here before you and YOU moved in near to US, now bugger off!"

It's most entertaining when they build their fortress of annoyance literally as close as possible to the "offending" establishment, which seems to be extremely common. Maybe they think that if they're closer they have a better chance of getting their way.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/26/08 5:29 p.m.
Wowak wrote:

$$$$

I know Carl. He knows how to make money that's for sure. But that track is one fatality away from closing. The Twin-Turbo 74 GTO that went over the guardrail last year almostdid it too.

neon4891
neon4891 Reader
5/26/08 5:33 p.m.
P71 wrote:
Wowak wrote:
$$$$ I know Carl. He knows how to make money that's for sure. But that track is one fatality away from closing. The Twin-Turbo 74 GTO that went over the guardrail last year almostdid it too.

I think Car Craft had something about that, prety nasty

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZQ2uGmgoYDlwjp9gMEk9mKgsaL4UXV31shTx3XG2IjcjOaY1MclPfoUPX6kLL0dw