1 2
TeamEvil
TeamEvil HalfDork
12/30/14 3:54 p.m.

I drove my father's old 1967 Pontiac Executive wagon (with wood grain plastic sheeting on the side) and got nothing for my trouble. In Boston, it's just a gas guzzling barge that's in everyone way and won't fit into any single parking spaces, too much of an overhang.

Traded it for a Corolla and all the love came pouring back in ! !

chiodos
chiodos New Reader
12/30/14 4:54 p.m.

Im glad to know a lot of us are so much alike, I enjoy cruising in ms chiodos's wagon (I drive it way more than her) its not american but it does wear an antique plate so its got that going for it. Ive been keeping my eye out for a something with a v8 but this volvo makes turbo choo choo noises so that's almost a good substitute haha

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/31/14 12:10 a.m.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/31/14 9:10 a.m.

My wife keeps looking at me weird because I eye up old rivieras a lot.

These beasts are not for the city......They are for pointing towards the open road and cruising the day away.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
12/31/14 9:23 a.m.

I actually built a sporty cruiser thistime. Bench seat, creature cimfirts, chrome bumpers, column shift auto, stock drivetrain.

It does have a hitchkis suspension setup and 4 wheel discs though.

It's already a great place to spend miles, and its not even done yet.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
12/31/14 10:36 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: And, yes, I realize I could swap an LSx into mine, but it's staying stock.

I thought we (meaning you) were going to attempt EFI as a gas mileage improver.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
12/31/14 10:46 a.m.

The farther away the experiences of the past are, the better those experiences were.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
12/31/14 12:04 p.m.

My first car was a 1964 Buick Skylark. It had the muscle car looks, being a 1st year 2-door A-Body, but it was cushy and s l o w. It had the "Fireball" 225 V6 and the Super Turbine 300 2-speed auto, so it kept me out of trouble. But for the brief time I drove it, I learned to love it. It cornered like a Star Destroyer with the occasional total brake failure thanks to the single reservoir master cylinder and manual drum brakes at all four corners, but whatever. It was cool.

I would LOVE to get a big wagon someday.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/31/14 12:11 p.m.
I actually built a sporty cruiser thistime. Bench seat, creature cimfirts

It's funny how it all starts to fall apart when you take a hard turn and go flying across the seat. I am not saying this is a bad or invalid thing; i actually built my Dyndasty this way too.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
12/31/14 12:11 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: In reply to ultraclyde: There's a reason the 65-70 B body is the most produced car ever (going by units/year)

Just curious, How many per year?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/31/14 12:17 p.m.
Jerry From LA wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: And, yes, I realize I could swap an LSx into mine, but it's staying stock.
I thought we (meaning you) were going to attempt EFI as a gas mileage improver.

Nope, no plans to make any changes. The car now wears GTO hubcaps and Konis, and that's pretty much it.

On a semi-related note, last night I was in Orlando--an hour each way. I took the 911.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/1/15 3:29 p.m.

This thread reminds me of something a teacher once told me about politics: if you're young and not liberal you haven't got a heart, old and not conservative you haven't got a head. With cars we complain about things being to soft or not racey enough when young, but as we get older we tend to ignore all those things and go straight to comfort. Auto journalists killed these things when new and any new car having these traits would get hammered in the press. Wait 25-30 years though...

Make mine an LT1 equipped 9c1 wagon thank you.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
1/1/15 3:46 p.m.
Rupert wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote: In reply to ultraclyde: There's a reason the 65-70 B body is the most produced car ever (going by units/year)
Just curious, How many per year?

Per wikipedia, 12,960,000 not counting 66 wagons, probably add ~150,000 for that. So ~2,185,000 a year. The model T comes close if you narrow it down to the 20s only, peaking in 1925 at 1,911,705.

dropstep
dropstep Reader
1/1/15 7:45 p.m.

this is why I love my 78 wagon so much. For what was once considered a grandma car everyone likes to look at it and wave. ive even been flagged down by older people who tell me about owning one like it when it was new!

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
1/1/15 8:26 p.m.
vwcorvette wrote: Make mine an LT1 equipped 9c1 wagon thank you.

This thread made me look at the local craigslist. A 9c1 wagon was just posted.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
1/1/15 9:09 p.m.

The hourly guys at work affectionately call this one 'Grandma's Car'. I love driving it even though its pretty terrible at most things compared to a modern car. Just bought a rare GT40 intake manifold for the 351 and I'm going to treat myself to 90s fuel injection.

Kramer
Kramer Dork
1/1/15 9:28 p.m.

Here's the Impala I drove in college. I miss that car. [URL=http://s135.photobucket.com/user/Kramercjk/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1392650125830.jpg.html][/URL]

Kramer
Kramer Dork
1/1/15 9:32 p.m.

And here's my dad's car.  photo slideshow_1002369686_062812bridgededicationP10.jpg

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
1/2/15 10:44 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: On a semi-related note, last night I was in Orlando--and hour each way. I took the 911.

Is it one hour each way for regular cars or one hour each way by Porsche?

LuxInterior
LuxInterior Reader
1/2/15 2:03 p.m.

"The Hardcore Land Yacht Magazine"

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/2/15 2:46 p.m.
Jerry From LA wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: On a semi-related note, last night I was in Orlando--and hour each way. I took the 911.
Is it one hour each way for regular cars or one hour each way by Porsche?

Between traffic and FHP, it's pretty much an hour no matter what.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mDTV3XAkcGnCG2aRmN8j4gT1J0MDUhhtc3dfq4erRykbUXeTQdXoT62lPF2gHdDv