Scott Lear
Scott Lear
2/22/18 11:12 a.m.

Like stories like this? You’ll see every article as soon as it's published by reading the print edition of Grassroots Motorsports. Subscribe now.

If Clark Griswold had heeded the call of the checkered flag, he might have sold the Family Truckster and ended up with something like Dave Blum’s Ford Fairmont. It started life as a Fox-chassis 1985 Ford LTD wagon and was transformed over a period of eight years into a 1978 Ford Fairmont track toy.

“I just always liked wagons, anything that looks kind of utilitarian,” Dave explains. “I never went in for anything that’s swoopy-looking—you expect that to be fast.”

Before he started work on his Fairmont project, Dave’s track toy was a Fox-chassis 1989 Ford Mustang LX that had spent its earlier years as an IMSA Firehawk car. Unfortunately, he and the ’Stang never quite came to terms.

“I had a bunch of parts for it, and it broke in just about every place you can break one of those cars,” he reports. Victims included torque boxes, control arms, upper strut towers, and even the crossmember to which the seats are bolted. “It was crap on a subatomic level,” Dave quips.

Fed up with his Mustang, Dave decided that his go-fast parts deserved a better home. “I knew all the pieces would bolt on to a Fairmont, and I always wanted a wagon anyway.”

Unfortunately, finding a genuine Fairmont wagon in anything close to good shape proved to be very difficult. Rather than give up, Dave decided to make his own.

Read the rest of the story

Neherphoto
Neherphoto
2/23/18 4:20 p.m.

1.43 on the full course? thats IMSA territory. and only recently. that must be a north course time.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh HalfDork
2/23/18 7:02 p.m.

I commented on the Facebook post, thanking the author for not saying "Foxbody" even once. :)

RMVR53
RMVR53 New Reader
2/24/18 7:52 a.m.

gotta remember - TWR blazed this trail in the 90's with a pair of Volvo 850 wagons...and tore up the BRCC!

Our Preferred Partners
eZ7PJyx1H7lXEQqnLfbLyVEArrXrD4MIj51uCxUPsD1SmbaRQ4bsxNmIxOsPuhiZ