measure twice
measure twice New Reader
4/3/09 10:21 a.m.

In the latest issue, the CRX (#9) on the front cover has a wide wheel/tire combo that is clearly beyond stock specs. After reading suspension books, I know there are trade-offs, but what is the strategy here? Is this something you might do in auto-x but not in road racing?

Also, aren't the tires going to get chewed up by fender rubbing, or are the springs and anti-rollbars super stiff to limit this?

Thanks!

mw
mw Reader
4/3/09 10:40 a.m.

In autox, you're always turning. The higher cornering speeds provided by increased grip, more than off set the increased drag of a wider tire.

measure twice
measure twice New Reader
4/3/09 10:48 a.m.

Does increased grip also offset the bumpsteer and other issues?

gamby
gamby SuperDork
4/3/09 10:52 a.m.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/big-tires-little-car/7442/page1/

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
4/3/09 10:53 a.m.

Well...bumpsteer is a function of the design of the steering and suspension. So tires don't affect bump steer. You do get into scrub issues when you only have room to move the tire "outboard" from the effective kingpin.

I don't know if that made any sense...I'm pretty foggy today.

Clem

914Driver
914Driver Dork
4/3/09 11:35 a.m.

By the time you get to wider tires on your modification list, you've already stiffened the suspension to the point where kissing a fender lip is a non issue.

If it's tighter'n a nun's butt and your fillings are worked loose, you're almost there.

Dan

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/3/09 11:44 a.m.

Somewhat off topic, has anyone ever seen a (near) zero offset 15x8 5x100mm 15" wheel?

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
4/3/09 11:46 a.m.
John Brown wrote: Somewhat off topic, has anyone ever seen a (near) zero offset 15x8 5x100mm 15" wheel?

Sportmax/XXR 002 or 005.

15x8 5x100 Zero offset. Decent wheel at a pretty cheap price.

I was going to try to make a set of these work before i got my Enkeis.

John Brown
4/3/09 12:02 p.m.

Nice.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/3/09 12:03 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: I don't know if that made any sense...I'm pretty froggy today.

What? You wanna make somethin of it?

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
4/3/09 12:07 p.m.
John Brown wrote: Nice.

Yeah i like them.

I particularly like this pic. Might not be the "best" from a performance standpoint in this application, but it's hard to deny it looks pretty damn cool.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
4/3/09 2:39 p.m.

Wide wheels and tires create all kinds of issues. On the other hand, the increased grip generally is worth more than the accumulation of other issues.

<--- Has 15 x 10's on a Civic with 275/35/15 tires.

John Brown
4/3/09 3:38 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote:
Yeah i like them. I particularly like this pic. Might not be the "best" from a performance standpoint in this application, but it's hard to deny it looks pretty damn cool.

I wish I could see the pic. Stoopid Websense.

Goldmember
Goldmember Reader
4/3/09 3:50 p.m.

I see the pic. And I like the pic

I have been running 13X9s with 235/45s for 3 seasons (tomorrow kicks off the fourth) on various EF (88-91 civic/CRX) chassis', and even with 225# front/325# rear and stock swaybars I barely rubbed on warm days(better grip). I settled on 375/425 with stock front, ST 7/8" rear sways as my favorite set up so far, and there is ZERO rub.

Obviously caster/camber, and ride hieght have a lot to do with it, but I don't even know what car you are running either. . .

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
4/3/09 4:00 p.m.
John Brown wrote:
93celicaGT2 wrote:
Yeah i like them. I particularly like this pic. Might not be the "best" from a performance standpoint in this application, but it's hard to deny it looks pretty damn cool.

It's cool, for some reason, i can't see it anymore, either.

It was a Miata with some zero offset 002s. It's made of sexy.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
4/3/09 4:13 p.m.

Yeah, that's obscenely hot.

Very well-executed.

driver109x
driver109x Reader
4/3/09 6:30 p.m.

Yep that miata is hot! Looks like a hardcore poseur...lol...I keed I keed

mrdontplay
mrdontplay Reader
4/4/09 2:05 a.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote:
John Brown wrote: Somewhat off topic, has anyone ever seen a (near) zero offset 15x8 5x100mm 15" wheel?
Sportmax/XXR 002 or 005. 15x8 5x100 Zero offset. Decent wheel at a pretty cheap price. I was going to try to make a set of these work before i got my Enkeis.

I'm pretty sure these only come in 4 lug. You might try minilights. The miata is sex but not as sex as my chevette is going to be with these

Consider this thread hi-jacked

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 New Reader
4/4/09 2:32 p.m.

I don't know if it is just the angle in that photo, but that is the first NB Miata that I have seen that looks good with fender flairs.

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
4/4/09 2:52 p.m.

From what I remember, non-stock offsets can affect the car with torque and brake steer if the wider wheel goes to a positive offset (I think that's the correct terminology). I would think that a non-stock negative offset might do the same.

mrdontplay
mrdontplay Reader
4/4/09 3:43 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: From what I remember, non-stock offsets can affect the car with torque and brake steer if the wider wheel goes to a positive offset (I think that's the correct terminology). I would think that a non-stock negative offset might do the same.

It's worth it.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
4/4/09 8:19 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote:
John Brown wrote:
93celicaGT2 wrote:
It's cool, for some reason, i can't see it anymore, either. It was a Miata with some zero offset 002s. It's made of sexy.

All I can see with this car is heavy steering, worn out ball joints ($200-300 per side on the front of a miata, lower and upper) and stone chips on the lower body. No sex that I can see.

Joey

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sIPukisTa1XmQ5i8lcdgjaBWjPAyjtjWhpBO86p3PFY66eh83Uh1fbWjdO3cXztu